Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a big guy, but very cool to find. I haven't found any blacktail sheds before!
Colette

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Cool find!
He'll only get bigger for next year. :thumbs_up
Were you scouting or shed hunting when you found it?
Too cold and windy here to do either.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool find!
He'll only get bigger for next year. :thumbs_up
Were you scouting or shed hunting when you found it?
Too cold and windy here to do either.
We were bear hunting. To me any blacktail will be awesome. Saw some does today, spooked up two when I was about 20 feet from them. I think they startled me for than I startled them. Saw three other does later on the road, big, big girls too. Then we saw a big herd of elk.

Of course, no flippin' bears! Oh well.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
We were bear hunting. To me any blacktail will be awesome. Saw some does today, spooked up two when I was about 20 feet from them. I think they startled me for than I startled them. Saw three other does later on the road, big, big girls too. Then we saw a big herd of elk.

Oh yeah, I forgot it was bear season. Elksnout is huntin' 'em too. He's been keeping me posted, so I should have remembered. Don't know what to tell you about finding them without bait or hounds in that jungle. Find a secluded clearcut or two and glass them early and late. Might try a varmit call. Sneaking down (closed to vehicals) logging roads is about the only other option and it is a long shot. That's about it thanks to the bunny huggers and our fellow "hunters" that thought dogs and bait were "not sporting!"

·
DefiantShooter
10,833 Posts
Very nice, got to love a big Forky! :shade:

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
nice find. is this an area that you hunt deer? and, do blacktail typically like dark timbered areas or do they frequent both thick cover and open terrain? we have some great mule deer in NM but i have only hunted them in open terrain but seen some nice mulies in elk country too.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah, I forgot it was bear season. Elksnout is huntin' 'em too. He's been keeping me posted, so I should have remembered. Don't know what to tell you about finding them without bait or hounds in that jungle. Find a secluded clearcut or two and glass them early and late. Might try a varmit call. Sneaking down (closed to vehicals) logging roads is about the only other option and it is a long shot. That's about it thanks to the bunny huggers and our fellow "hunters" that thought dogs and bait were "not sporting!"

I checked in with Elksnout too and he has seen sign but no bears. We have been trying the closed logging roads and spur roads with lots of grass. Haven't tried the varmit call yet as I was going to try the fawn in distress, but I don't think any fawns have dropped yet. I guess it couldn't hurt to try it, plus might get a coyote to come in too.

Some people on Ifish are saying that places that people like to go such as the private timber land is useless because supposedly the private timber companies can kill the bears if they are damaging their trees. With all the trees available I can not imagine that some bears could do too much damage, but what do I know. Might just be a reason to be able to shoot some bears for them.

Tried close to the coast and then further away and I think we will head back close to the coast next trip out.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice find. is this an area that you hunt deer? and, do blacktail typically like dark timbered areas or do they frequent both thick cover and open terrain? we have some great mule deer in NM but i have only hunted them in open terrain but seen some nice mulies in elk country too.

I haven't ever thought about hunting deer here, but it might be worth a look. I have a couple other spots already picked out, mostly in the same areas that we are going elk hunting. All the blacktail except two that I have personally seen were in the timber. The two others that I happened to see were crossing really small clear cuts to get right back into the timber. I guess they get really nocturnal come deer season. The most I have seen in one day was after a monsoon of a rain storm and then it cleared up really nice in the afternoon. I think that is one reason I really want to get one, is that they are tough to hunt. Not putting down mulies, but the mulies in Eastern Oregon do seem easier (just what I have experienced) well at least for the little guys, the big ones are tougher, those you really have to work for.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Sheds & bears

Thats really weird, the blacktail shed I found was almost identical the one pic'ed. Went out today, found a lot of fresh sign, torn up stumps, even found a fresh rub with bear hair still stuck in it! But Shoe's right, its tough to find em in these Oregun jungles! But thats the fun of it..sneakin around..lookin! I did it once before, so I'll keep tryin.

·
Stick Flinger
819 Posts

Sounds like my bear hunt

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
thats cool

1 - 16 of 16 Posts