Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found 2 scrapes within 10 yards of each other saturday . i put my new trail camera at one of them i'll be out there today to check if he has been back yet. if so i'll post pic.

it's getting right down here in the sunshine / hurricane state

i can't hardly wait for sept. 23 d-day

·
Registered
26 Posts
I live in that state also and in my experiences the only scrapes I have found have been in December/January just at the end of the hunting season. Saw a small buck this weekend scouting and it was stilll in velvet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's not turkeys

it's a scrape
and not many of the bucks in my club are still in velvet these pics
where taken between sunday 3:00 pm and monday 8:00 pm

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow, thats amazing. In MS/AL I can't say that I have ever seen a scape this early. Not doubting it but jus saying its normally around mid Dec give or take a week around here. Wish I could hunt scrapes for early bow season. Good luck and nice pics! Heath

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Florida's screwed up as far as rut timing, it's different all over the state. In some places in south FL they'll breed in the middle of summer until Sept, in the panhandle it's late January and in north central where I hunt usually late October early November is when the most rut activity takes place. But on the same piece of property I'm finding sporadic fresh scrapes (that don't mean much) right now and last year I saw some even in March while turkey hunting. With buck to doe ratios and such a drastic change in environments and temps it really does differ from area to area.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Here in south FL the rut is on I have not found any scrapes yet but have found plenty of rubs. The season opens this saturday the 9th. I can't wait!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I grew up hunting Florida, and inconsistency is about the only way I can describe it. I have never seen rutting activity in the central area of the state. I have only seen 1 rub on a 1500 acre piece of property loaded with deer. We are told that the rut there (osceola co) is in august.

By the way, thats a fine buck for Florida. I've only laid eyes on a couple that good where we hunt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts