Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
droped a nice little buck last night:) , not the biggest by AT standards but he should be some good eating, hit him a little in the right lung but exit was through the middle of the left lung. My hunting/shooting partner say the hit and watched the buck run. he PMed on the phone( love technology:rolleyes: ) to say the hit looked good. when I got down to get the arrow, there was no blood. I mean non:eek: I thought the hit was good but was now wondering. I walked over to my buddy who was looking at teh trail. When I said that there was no blood he said follow me, in we walk and there he was. So good news I have some deer to cutup, bad news why no blood? The chest cavity was full.

broad heads were montecs. they fly great and I thought that I had them sharp( they made me bleed:rolleyes: :tongue: )

any thoughts

Attachments

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Reed said:
droped a nice little buck last night:) , not the biggest by AT standards but he should be some good eating, hit him a little in the right lung but exit was through the middle of the left lung. My hunting/shooting partner say the hit and watched the buck run. he PMed on the phone( love technology:rolleyes: ) to say the hit looked good. when I got down to get the arrow, there was no blood. I mean non:eek: I thought the hit was good but was now wondering. I walked over to my buddy who was looking at teh trail. When I said that there was no blood he said follow me, in we walk and there he was. So good news I have some deer to cutup, bad news why no blood? The chest cavity was full.

broad heads were montecs. they fly great and I thought that I had them sharp( they made me bleed:rolleyes: :tongue: )

any thoughts

exit hole is too high and plugged, that's why the cavity is full but not much on the ground. you want a low exit hole so the blood can drain.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3dbb, love the BH fly great. I was a little worried by the entrace hole beign a little high, but it all work out:wink:

just wondering if about the blood trail?? Can't argue with the the results though.:darkbeer:

Reed

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Thats strange. With that hole there should be some blood around. How far did he run?

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bees said:
exit hole is too high and plugged, that's why the cavity is full but not much on the ground. you want a low exit hole so the blood can drain.
thats what we thought, but that pic is after I dragged him back to the edge of the field so it could it be from that?

better exit hole would be a 1 or 2 lower?

Reed

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Just one more reason I like a little wider cutting diameter. Looks like a good shot though, was there a piece of lung in the exit hole?? He certainly did have plenty of blood around his mouth and neck, from what he was "blowing" out. Congrats on the kill, should be some good eats!!!

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Also, I have seen (in human GSW's to the chest) the lungs plug the hole after an object has gone through it. Sometimes, Ive even seen, as the lung collapses, it will cover up the exit hole and not bleed....this is on humans though........O and by the way Im an ER/Trama RN, thats how I saw these things......:wink: Didnt want you guys to think I was a hit man or something.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lunghit said:
Thats strange. With that hole there should be some blood around. How far did he run?
total distance was less than 120 yards he did a little jog in the field, then went about 20 yards into the bush. total time maybe 10 sec till the when into the bush.

Reed

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SEOBowhntr said:
Just one more reason I like a little wider cutting diameter. Looks like a good shot though, was there a piece of lung in the exit hole?? He certainly did have plenty of blood around his mouth and neck, from what he was "blowing" out. Congrats on the kill, should be some good eats!!!
yes the lung on that was was messed up real bad, when we gutted him.

should be some tenderloin on the BBQ tonight:darkbeer:

Reed

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Reed said:
thats what we thought, but that pic is after I dragged him back to the edge of the field so it could it be from that?

better exit hole would be a 1 or 2 lower?

Reed
yes I always want my arrow to exit around that far front leg pit. down and to the left on your picture. Where I enter is always dictated by the exit. that is why I like slightly quartering away shots rather than quartered too shots.
it's a good double lung. deer go down in about 10- 15 seconds but the blood trial just isn't there and the deer can travel a long way in that 10, 15 seconds.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
savedbygrace said:
Also, I have seen (in human GSW's to the chest) the lungs plug the hole after an object has gone through it. Sometimes, Ive even seen, as the lung collapses, it will cover up the exit hole and not bleed....this is on humans though........O and by the way Im an ER/Trama RN, thats how I saw these things......:wink: Didnt want you guys to think I was a hit man or something.
thanks for the info.

Reed

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
First off, congrats on the buck! I'd say that the exithole was plugged by bits of lung, that's a perfest shot.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Stuff happens. It's a good shot period. When you dressed him, what parts did you shoot through? Sometimes tissue just ends up plugging the hole, no big deal.

As far as the shoot it lower to let it drain better.... pafooooooey!

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bees said:
yes I always want my arrow to exit around that far front leg pit. down and to the left on your picture. Where I enter is always dictated by the exit. that is why I like slightly quartering away shots rather than quartered too shots.
it's a good double lung. deer go down in about 10- 15 seconds but the blood trial just isn't there and the deer can travel a long way in that 10, 15 seconds.

damn right and it is a long 15 sec.

big thanks to my hunting partner who I think new where it was and let me stew about for awhile:wink:

Reed

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
to all thanks.

Still have a lot to learn.

Reed

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jbo3 said:
Stuff happens. It's a good shot period. When you dressed him, what parts did you shoot through? Sometimes tissue just ends up plugging the hole, no bid deal.

As far as the shoot it lower to let it drain better.... pafooooooey!
slightly lower than center of the exit lung. From what I am reading I think that the exit may have been blocked by some lung material. broke a rib on the extrance and exit.

good part was I saw where he entered the bush and you could see him when we followed his route

Reed

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Looks like a good eater to me.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Congrats on the buck.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts