Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up an AR-34 at a pawn shop for $50!

Thinking about swapping out the Ram cam for a Martin Dyna-Cam I have in my bucket-o-parts. Which would you go with?

And bonus! It came with a Sword Twilight Hunter 1.5 sight on it too! SCORE!

2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also wondering if other limb pockets will fit to allow me to convert it to split limb. Maybe other PSE bows from the same year?

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
If the limbs and cams on it are in good condition, I would put new strings on it and just shoot it a while. After shooting it a while, you can better determine what you would like to change about the bow. You might find that there is very little, if anything you would like to change. The AR line of bows is where PSE started in the right direction IMO. That grip on that bow looks very comfortable. It has a very long brace height and should be easy to shoot accurately, but will be slower than the shorter brace bows. I doubt you will gain much by swapping cams and you may end up with a bow that doesn't shoot nearly as good as the original. But if you have your heart set on Martin Dyna-Cams, you don't have much to loose by trying them. I would still shoot it a while before I did a Franken build with it. That's my 2 cents worth.

2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the limbs and cams on it are in good condition, I would put new strings on it and just shoot it a while. After shooting it a while, you can better determine what you would like to change about the bow. You might find that there is very little, if anything you would like to change. The AR line of bows is where PSE started in the right direction IMO. That grip on that bow looks very comfortable. It has a very long brace height and should be easy to shoot accurately, but will be slower than the shorter brace bows. I doubt you will gain much by swapping cams and you may end up with a bow that doesn't shoot nearly as good as the original. But if you have your heart set on Martin Dyna-Cams, you don't have much to loose by trying them. I would still shoot it a while before I did a Franken build with it. That's my 2 cents worth.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. You’re making good sense, and I just HATE that!

2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Curse you and praise you, DB.

The cursing part: I put it back together stock and gave it to my son in law for his first compound.

The praise: I used the resulting opening in my bow collection to buy this. The OLDEST of old school Frankenbow projects.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Hey eyeirritant,
Here is a photo of an Browning Bantam I frankenbowed with a set of Hoyt Command cams. The bow originally was 50 pounds, weight dropped to 37 after the conversion. It was a fun bow to shoot fingers. Short A to A about 35 inches but with the 10" brace height finger pinch was minimal. You've seen the picture before but thought I would add it for inspiration.

Door Window Wood Nail Wood stain

2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey eyeirritant,
Here is a photo of an Browning Bantam I frankenbowed with a set of Hoyt Command cams. The bow originally was 50 pounds, weight dropped to 37 after the conversion. It was a fun bow to shoot fingers. Short A to A about 35 inches but with the 10" brace height finger pinch was minimal. You've seen the picture before but thought I would add it for inspiration.

View attachment 7465013
YES!! You were the inspiration for me buying the Tracker! I couldn’t remember the poster and I couldn’t find the original post, but you were the reason I thought of it! I remembered the post so well that I asked the seller if the limb arms were the same thickness. Too funny.

I will definitely post the before and after pics.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
If you want to use newer cams that do not use steel cables here's a little trick you can do. Cut the teardrop cable off in the bend where it leaves the wheel. Use this end to attach to your tuning rods. Now you have an end to connect your new string cables too and be able time your cams. Done this on an old PSE Citation (Presidential model) that I inserted a set of Hoyt Accuwheels in. I have had several bows but that is the one I truely regret selling.

Wood Bicycle part Font Cross Material property

2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to use newer cams that do not use steel cables here's a little trick you can do. Cut the teardrop cable off in the bend where it leaves the wheel. Use this end to attach to your tuning rods. Now you have an end to connect your new string cables too and be able time your cams. Done this on an old PSE Citation (Presidential model) that I inserted a set of Hoyt Accuwheels in. I have had several bows but that is the one I truely regret selling.

View attachment 7465189
Great tip!

I haven’t received the bow yet, so I’m not sure if the geometry will work, but I was thinking about converting it to a straight 2 wheel arrangement and using the rods as a base for a cable guard on top and a string stop on bottom. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Maybe use the rods for double cable guards. Don’t think you need to worry about string stop. Brace will be in the 9 to 10 inch range. Just thinking out loud, will give it more thought though.

2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Maybe use the rods for double cable guards. Don’t think you need to worry about string stop. Brace will be in the 9 to 10 inch range. Just thinking out loud, will give it more thought though.
Do you know if they come out easily, or are they glued in place?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Stretching my memory but I think they screw into inserts that are epoxied into the handle.

2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stretching my memory but I think they screw into inserts that are epoxied into the handle.
It came yesterday! And of course I had to leave town for work today so I couldn’t play with it. But I think you’re right. The rod bases have little flats to allow turning via wrench. So maybe I’ll just take them off altogether and use a sight mounted cable guard. Have any more laying around?

Can’t decide whether I want to use Vector 4, golden eagle hatchets, or proline accuwheel-style cams. So many choices!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
It came yesterday! And of course I had to leave town for work today so I couldn’t play with it. But I think you’re right. The rod bases have little flats to allow turning via wrench. So maybe I’ll just take them off altogether and use a sight mounted cable guard. Have any more laying around?

Can’t decide whether I want to use Vector 4, golden eagle hatchets, or proline accuwheel-style cams. So many choices!
Seems like a good candidate for a shoot through, having dual cams and such a long brace height? Would certainly preserve the clean lines.

2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seems like a good candidate for a shoot through, having dual cams and such a long brace height? Would certainly preserve the clean lines.
Ooh, you may be onto something there sir!
I have a ton of scrap strings saved up, so I'll have to see if I can knot a couple up to fit.

But I definitely plan to hunt with it this season, so it might not work out as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts