Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first compound was an old PSE. The one that replaced it was a PSE. I shot that bow on and off for over a decade. I bought a Martin about 1.5 years ago because I got a great deal on it. I wanted to see what a modern cam system bow was like. I've enjoyed shooting it, but as I've gotten more serious and particular about archery I've learned a lot. When I bought the Martin, I thought I was a 29.5" draw length and knew relatively little about ATA. I now know that I'm more like a 31.5-32" draw (don't know the optimum for me because the Martin doesn't adjust that far - I'm stuck at 30.75"). I also need a longer ATA bow (I'm at 33.25") for the string geometry to be ideal. I've spent a year committed to learning proper form, and I'm finally getting there but I'm stuck at the moment because my bow can't go long enough for me to really master the form I want to shoot.

PSE bows seem to the ideal thing for me to return to since I started with them and they have some non-custom bows built for my situation. The Freak and Beast seem like a great starting point because they have the geometry for someone my size and plenty of adjustment range for me. My concern with some of the other bows like the Dominator and Xpression is that I'm going to be on the very edge of their draw lengths and I haven't found what my optimum draw length is yet. The Beast and Freak give me plenty of room to try things until I master my form and find the sweet spot on the draw length, whatever that ends up being.

I wasn't planning to buy a new bow right now, so I've got to work with what I have for the moment and I'll need to find a good deal on the long draw bow. So, I'm probably going to end up with a Freak instead of the Beast. I need a little education on what I'm shopping for though. It seems like PSE has a few bows that come in different versions or configurations. I see that they have different letters after the bow name (3D, HD, SP, EXT, MAX, PRO, etc) and that is where I'm confused. Their site doesn't do much of anything to clear that up. What do those extra letters mean? How have they changed throughout the last few years? It seems like there are multiple versions of the Freak, and I don't know which one I should be looking for.

Thanks,
D

·
Registered
360 Posts
The Freak and Beast are great bows, and both in the past have been used for target archery as well. It sounds like that's where you're going with this. Another option is the Phenom 3D, which also goes to a 33" draw and is a little cheaper. The letter designations are somewhat inconsistent but 'll try to explain...

When a new bow comes out, they give it a name. After the name, they may add a letter designation like "SP", which means soft/smooth pull. If refers to a slight modification of the original DNA which had a somewhat extreme draw cycle due to its aggressive cams. Often times, the letter designation refers to the type of cam(s) on the bow. PSE generally tries to offer a bow for 2-4 years, sometimes making small changes which will change the letter designation after the bow name (for marketing purposes). I've listed some of the common designations below.

XS/XL- extra short/extra long
3G- third generation
Max- superior the previous version (ex. Supra ME was followed by Supra Max)
HD- Hyper Drive cam
DC- Drive cam
ME Mini Evo cam
3D- common for 3D target shooting (due to its features)
PRO- subsequent version to the original (ex. Omen followed by Omen Pro)
SD- Short Draw (bow max length is usually around 28 1/2")
ti- titanium hardware
Stiletto- female version (usually pink or purple model)
32/34- refers to axle to axle length

Hope this helps, i'm no expert. A PSE rep or dealer should be able to explain further if needed. A couple of other older bows you may consider (for reason of cost) are the Vendetta XL and Vendetta DC, they max out at 32" and are from the 2010-2013 era.

These are the various versions of the Freak out there:

Freak EV
Freak SP
Freak Max

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That helps me a lot, thanks! Yes, this is intended for target use. The Phenom and Vendetta were not on my radar, I'll look into those as well.

D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts