Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mid 70's Fred Bear Victor Viking Olympic Style Recurve that ive been shooting a lot with. Shooting great. Ive been shooting Dacron and B55. Currently Im shooting a combination/older Fastflight Kevlar that has some give. Any Idea of how using a newer kevlar fastflight string would do? I dont want to break it.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
A lot depends on the bow itself as well as the method in which the string is made. Many of the old bows did not have properly reinforced tips using phenolic that help reduce the stress on the tips. Perfectly shaped angles in the string notches also dissipates these pressures as well. Same with front of limb facing archer many old bows had string notches that were filed all the way through the glass to core wood, a weak spot with modern strings.

With that said I personally shoot bows from the sixties that have been reworked to allow the use of a padded FF string without hesitation, the bow feels better, quieter, and feels less stressed with the modern string. Same bow oscillated for several seconds after the shot with B55 which had the feeling of inducing more stress on the bow. Another issue on older bows was the glass used which was unidirectional and cracked over time do to expansion and contraction of core wood leaving tiny cracks running along the limbs length.

If you value the bow more than just a tool than the use of FF may not be the best bet!

May find this interesting:http://www.tradarcher.com/string_poll.html

·
Lowered expectations
17,095 Posts
Second that. There's a good chance the limb tips can't take the no-stretch string and might fail. Stick with Dacron - no advantage on that bow to go with modern materials anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts