Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not starting this because I advocate high fence hunting.
What does bother me is that people are happy to say they condemn it on ethical grounds, which makes them feel better about themselves in general.

Well, think about this; most hunters in the US (and Europe where I am for that matter too) are hunting in areas that are essentially "fenced in" by man made structures, natural barriers or a combinatoin of both.

Highways, roads, farmland, urban areas, rivers, gorges etc are just as effective in keeping game in agiven area as a fence is. Unless you are a considerable distance away from the nearest road, or other human obstacle you are not hunting game that it truly free to roam, and escape as it pleases.

I have hunted free range deer that were confined to just a few acres of woodland and fields bordered by hedges and roads, and these deer were in no position to migrate or escape very far once you started hunting them. And it stands to reason that no one should condemn that kind of hunt, because it's "free range". But put up a fence around ten times the area, and people feel that it is cheating.

Well, go take a look at the places you hunt on google earth, and work out just how far those animals can realistically roam from where you are hunting them.

Now I know that this post will start a *****fight and some will pipe up that they hunt in areas of vast, vast wilderness accessable only after three days camel ride, but that does not make up for the majority of the hunting carried out by regular hunters. That would usually be the exceptional trip away, not the weekend or after work drive to the nearest good spot.
I am not an advicate, nor am I a high fence hunter. I prefer to go on less hunts and organize big trips into the wilderness (remember the three days camel ride?) and I do hunt "free range" wild deer and pigs almost year round, but I know full well that these animals are limited to certain confines, that after all, are not all that vast.

In this day and age, it is very hard to hunt truly free animals..
Just rethink where you hunt before you go trying to put someone else down for having taken the "easy option".

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We all know they do of course, but would you say that a major road does not act as an effective barrier?

·
The pugs keeper
5,959 Posts
Deer don't live in the city? Where have you been hiding? And as said before why are my rates so high if the road is a barrier?
What about a river you say well seen them cross that to. No need to go in a rant to make yourself feel better if you like it great but don't make up arguments that are unrealistic

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok Im back. At the same time as I posted my first post here, a Detroit based news station is doing a story in a large suburb of detroit. The story is that wild turkeys have been spotted ranging freely in this highly populated suburb over the last few days. Halarious timing!!!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Nonsense

This is just irrational thinking. A simple means of trying to justify in your own mind that hunting behind a high fence is ok. The difference is, in nature if an animal chooses to leave a particular area he can, in a high fence operation, he cannot. Plain and simple. You can also try to justify it by saying that if an animal had everything inside a fence that he needed he would choose not to leave and that would be true, until you introduced pressure by means of hunting. Then he would choose to leave regardless of what was inside the area. The HF debate will never be settled and certainly not on AT, but my opinion is that it is wrong. If the last hunting on earth was inside a fence.................well I'm out.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have seen deer jump 4' ranch wire ,cross roads and swim across river but have never seen one jump a high fence. never hunted in high fence but I know the deer get trapped in high fenced areas of local winerys. where I hunt it is BLM or nat. forest not much private land. 10 square miles is a big ranch though so as long as there is enough thick cover for them to hide in and they do not feed animal they are probaly still pretty wild and hard to hunt just my take like I said never hunted high fence. :darkbeer::darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'm not starting this because I advocate high fence hunting.
What does bother me is that people are happy to say they condemn it on ethical grounds, which makes them feel better about themselves in general.

Well, think about this; most hunters in the US (and Europe where I am for that matter too) are hunting in areas that are essentially "fenced in" by man made structures, natural barriers or a combinatoin of both.

Highways, roads, farmland, urban areas, rivers, gorges etc are just as effective in keeping game in agiven area as a fence is. Unless you are a considerable distance away from the nearest road, or other human obstacle you are not hunting game that it truly free to roam, and escape as it pleases.

I have hunted free range deer that were confined to just a few acres of woodland and fields bordered by hedges and roads, and these deer were in no position to migrate or escape very far once you started hunting them. And it stands to reason that no one should condemn that kind of hunt, because it's "free range". But put up a fence around ten times the area, and people feel that it is cheating.

Well, go take a look at the places you hunt on google earth, and work out just how far those animals can realistically roam from where you are hunting them.

Now I know that this post will start a *****fight and some will pipe up that they hunt in areas of vast, vast wilderness accessable only after three days camel ride, but that does not make up for the majority of the hunting carried out by regular hunters. That would usually be the exceptional trip away, not the weekend or after work drive to the nearest good spot.
I am not an advicate, nor am I a high fence hunter. I prefer to go on less hunts and organize big trips into the wilderness (remember the three days camel ride?) and I do hunt "free range" wild deer and pigs almost year round, but I know full well that these animals are limited to certain confines, that after all, are not all that vast.

In this day and age, it is very hard to hunt truly free animals..
Just rethink where you hunt before you go trying to put someone else down for having taken the "easy option".
:spam: :yield:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Channel 4 newsreported this story outta detroit....

4 mail carriers and a 4 year old girl have been chased around by some wild turkeys. And a pregnant lady was driving down the road and had a wild turkey crashed through her windshield.

Appearantly, turkeys dont like the color blue, so that provoked their attacks.

What a random coinsidence that I was watching this news story while reading this thread

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Well I'm not sure I agree with the connection you're trying to make between a high fence and a river or road...but hey, I've never been accused of being the sharpest tool in the shed.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
this is always a funny debate to me....but everyone here hunts a deer that is confined to a space......EVERYONE....PERIOD....:wink:

·
Registered
223 Posts
He's got to be joking, right?

If not, he can come hunt with me on some public ground. We can watch 'em swim creeks, rivers, jump fences, cross roads and any other obstacle that gets in thier way when they start feeling pressured.

·
Registered
616 Posts
This is just irrational thinking. A simple means of trying to justify in your own mind that hunting behind a high fence is ok. The difference is, in nature if an animal chooses to leave a particular area he can, in a high fence operation, he cannot. Plain and simple. You can also try to justify it by saying that if an animal had everything inside a fence that he needed he would choose not to leave and that would be true, until you introduced pressure by means of hunting. Then he would choose to leave regardless of what was inside the area. The HF debate will never be settled and certainly not on AT, but my opinion is that it is wrong. If the last hunting on earth was inside a fence.................well I'm out.
Precisely!!

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
We all know they do of course, but would you say that a major road does not act as an effective barrier?
Not in the least. I have personaly seen a small whitetail deer get atleast 8-9' of vertical jump.

In addition, anything short of a VERY high fence will not stop a whitetail deer from going where it wants....

Also, farms stopping deer? To eat yes, then the deer keep moving through. They love corn fields that are left up during winter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts