Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
redman
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHEN I AM AT A SHOOTING TOURNAMENT MY SIGHT PIN IS
FREEZING ON BOTTOM OF SPOT THIS ONLYAT A TOURNAMENT
I DONT FIGHT IT I JUST SHOOT THE SHOT WITH THE BEST FORM I CAN I ADD 2 CLICKS TO SIGHT MARKS AND THAT KEEPS ME IN THE SPOT I AM ABLE TO SHOOT A GOOD SCORE DOING THIS BUT I WOOD LIKE TO HOLD ON SPOT I TRIED BLANK BALE SHOOTING AND ROTATIONAL AMING AND IT DONT HELP T WOULD LIKE TO
FIND A CURE FOR THIS PROBLEM WHEN I SHOOT A RING IN SCOPE IT IS NOT AS BAD BUT IT IS STILL DOING IT NEED HELP
THIS IS STOPING ME FROM THESHOOTING THE SCORS AT A SHOOT THAT I SHOT AT HOME
THANK YOU FOR INFO J.M.

·
Registered
334 Posts
There may be another answer for this. But I had this problem for a while, and what helped me was to come down to the spot instead of up.
Try it, it was what worked for me.
Micah:cool:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
coming down on the spot with my pin instead of trying to fight it up to the spot helped me out alot also.good luck !!!

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
i had the problem all of the time. i wasn't relaxing and just consentrating on the spot. if you put it on the spot, and relax it helps. also, comming down on the spot is good to do. :)

·
Say What?
1,906 Posts
Answer??

I wish I had the answer..................... This has been killing me for some time now. I come down on the spot a go right past to six oclock. The ring does help but will not fix it 100%. There is a lot of info. on this sight about this subject. Just do a search.

Jonathan

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sorry, but you have a form of Target Panic, but target panic is target panic. Answer: Back Tension release and blank bale. Do a seach on this site, lots of great info on the subject. ps. you may want to recheck your DL using the wingspan charts as a starting point.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
get mad at it..

it's a mental problem but you knew that. perhaps pratice an hour each night just holding the pin in the middle (not shooting). This may train your brain to get used to it. Then in a tournament, FORCE yourself to hold on the middle. Be aggressive.

Whenever I find myself doing that, I ask myself if I am such a (insert another name for cat) that I can't put it on the center of the target and nail the (rhymes with trucker).

good luck.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Are you shooting with back tension? At one time I had this problem so badly that I considered giving up archery! Then one day about 6 or 7 years ago someone explained and showed me how to shoot with back tension. From that first shot until this very day I have never froze under the spot again. It was that simple for me.

·
redman
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
spot

thank you for info i do shoot with back tension release and my draw lenith is right i think i am going to shoot a blank bale
the best i ever shoot outdoors wasafter i shoot blank bale for week burn the spot let it happen and dont over aim

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
"Then in a tournament, FORCE yourself to hold on the middle. Be aggressive."

Bad move - 9 out of 10 times forcing it will make it worse. Thats a good way to fall apart at a tourney. If the TP is that bad and you *must* go to a tourney adjust your sights and aim where you can still hold under the gold.

redman;

A little blind shooting doesn't hurt (it will help you get a finer control over your shot execution), but may not help a lot, this is an aiming issue not a shot execution issue for the most part. Going to a BT release isn't a bad idea but it is going to make it worse before it makes it better - as you have to learn how to use/control a BT release, as well as solve the aiming issue. You are compounding your problem by adding complexity. The flip side to this is that when you start trying to regain control over the aiming portion of the problem - you may start "punching" on the shot execution side - so going to a pure-BT type release (or a T-type like a Carter with *heavy* springs) be preventative..

If you do a search you will find a *lot* of different drills suggestions and advice for TP. Personally I would suggest GRIV's 10 yard drill, and work on *relaxing* your bowarm, and letting the dot/pin float while your focus is on where you want the arrow to go (x). Try and get yourself to a point where you are calmly aiming and executing your shot while your pin/dot floats, take deep breaths and blank your mind. It takes a while to train/re-train yourself after you start shooting "anxiously", but it can be beaten.

-CG

·
redman
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
spot

thank you for the info shooting a back tension triggerless releases no problem i shot one for 2 years i am going to try one a now and work on my aiming

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,427 Posts
I have had problems holding (various symptoms) for over a year..., no make that forever. Two months ago I went on a quest to stop aiming and just let the sight do whatever it wants to do while putting my main focus on commitment to the shot and follow-through... It works... but it takes a lot of practice to build enough trust to let it happen.

The critical thing is to separate the aiming process from the release process. One end has to be handled by the subconscious, the other by the conscious. You can't jump back and forth, and you can't do both at the same time with the conscious mind, so pick an end and stay there while letting the other end take care of itself.

·
redman
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
spot

thank you eplc i will give that a try some times whin i shoot i even
forget whear the pin was when the shot went off and tha arrow ends up in the x

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,427 Posts
eXactly...

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Seems like you are punching the release and don't want to shoot it when you get in the spot for fear of missing. So instead you don't aim in the spot. Kind of confusing. Switch to a back tension release immediately or this problem will turn into a DISASTER. I think everyone knows what the DIASTER is. It is a dreaded thing that plagues nearly all archers at some point. A back tension will (or should) force you to aim in the center until the release goes off.

·
redman
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
spot

2 weeks a go i was shooting zenith bach tenision with the same problem i shoot a 541 field round now i am shooting a carter 2 special with same score i am not punching the trigger thank you for your info

1 - 16 of 16 Posts