Archery Talk Forum banner

Friend Requests - Awkward

4758 Views 85 Replies 48 Participants Last post by  oddg241
I guess I am too old school for this internet age and some things are just beyond my grasp. I have recently been getting friend requests and it has proven awkward to say the least. I have sent them each a PM explaining my thoughts on the matter to prep them for the impending rejection.....it almost feels like middle school dating. These are my thoughts on the matter:

I have 2 people listed as friends. I have known them both for nearly 20yrs. I have laughed and cried with them and put my life on the line for them as they have for me...many times. I know their names, their faces, their spouses, their children. I have broken bread with them, sat in their living rooms and shared the success and failures of everything from relationships to simple hunting experiences. I take them for their good and bad attributes as they take me for mine. My friends are a reflection of who I am as a person. I choose my friends very carefully and protect them to a fault.

So, if I have rejected you in the past, you are not alone. If I reject you in the future, you have been forewarned. I would greatly enjoy meeting anyone on this forum so that I could actually know your name and your face and call you an acquantance. With luck, we may then become friends.

Hey Zach, how on earth do you keep up with almost 1,000 birthday cards:wink:
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
i can see your point very clearly myself.....if i know you or plan on knowing thats one thing....im here to make new friends sure....but if you live states away odds are not likely of ever having a meeting......

· Registered
1,884 Posts
Hmmm. Good post.

I recieved a 'Friend' request from probably the same person. I don't know this person and have never spoken to him any way, shape, or form. Needless to say, I felt as awkward as you felt and took the same action...rejected the request. Nothing personal.....but I just don't get the reason for the request.

Thanks for making me feel better!

· Registered
1,884 Posts
I got a friend request from zach yesterday....I accepted cuz i'm not a ****. Your missing the point, they are too keep up with people in the forums, not to go hang out with in day to day lives.

So how does 'becoming friends' help to keep up with people in the forums? And what is the point of this with someone that you never had any contact with in any way?

Don't ask me to be your friend! :wink: :D

· Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got a friend request from zach yesterday....I accepted cuz i'm not a ****. Your missing the point, they are too keep up with people in the forums, not to go hang out with in day to day lives.
I guess I'm not into computer lingo either. Care to elaborate on "****". I mean heck, when I got divorced and mentioned "hooking up" with a woman I had know idea what her generation meant by it....it was a pleasant surprise for certain when she said sure:eek:

Let me give a specific example. My friend Bakeman had an acquantance listed in his friend list. A guy that lived near him and he'd seen at the range. He didn't know this guy very well but figured, what the heck. This guy he had listed as a friend ended up ripping off a lot of people on here and when they checked that guys profile they saw Bakeman listed as a friend. Next thing you know Bakeman is getting PM's asking him to have this guy make good on it since they are "friends". The had since skipped out on rent and he didn't have phone number.

Like I said, maybe I am too old school for this stuff and I just don't get it. Maybe we can have Friend Levels and some can be 5 star buddies and others 1 star and anyplace in between.

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
To the best of my knowledge I haven't sent out a friend's request. Those internet friends should already know who they are.:thumbs_up

I've made "real" friends here also. After meeting and talking on line I've had alot of them to my house from far and wide to do all those things you do with your closest of friends. Plan on more such meetings in the future.:thumbs_up

· Registered
2,546 Posts
dude, I'm not saying you have to be friends with everybody who asks....If there is somebody in the forums that normally posts useful knowledge and you want to keep up with him rather than having to search through posts to find him next time you have a question. You can save him in your friends list. Thats all I'm saying. You can have quick access to them from your profile page, just an option to make things easier for you. But hey, if you don't want to use the option, then don't.

As for your buddy who had the dead beat friend, you can always delete somebody, its not a permanent thing.

· Registered
1,884 Posts
I've made "real" friends here also. After meeting and talking on line I've had alot of them to my house from far and wide to do all those things you do with your closest of friends. Plan on more such meetings in the future.:thumbs_up

Hey Bob....

How's the season sizing up this fall? What weeks would be good for me to stay and you are suppling food and beverages...right? I have plenty of vacation time, so don't worry...just cut a key for me! :D

'Freak

· Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To the best of my knowledge I haven't sent out a friend's request. Those internet friends should already know who they are.:thumbs_up

YES!! Now this actually means something and is a great use for this site. I too have met people that I would never know if it wasn't for this site. Like Rodney and the guys at Bass and Bucks or Michael and his crew at Terminal Velocity.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.