Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought an He washer from Frigidaire(owned by Electrolux). It was a replacement for another washer which, did not fit in our new cabin, so we just had the store deliver the washer which stacked with our frigidaire dryer. My wife used it for about a week and a half before the odor became noticeable....a strong vanilla-plasticky(sp?) odor....I called the company customer service line which told me to use bleach in the wash cycle on hot to remove the odor. Did so like four times with no reuslts---still there...eventually started sniffing around and discovered they have impregnated the door gasket with a perfume like odor to the front loader to prevent smells emanating from the machine since moisture can cause a mold odor if the door is left closed between washes.After calling again and getting nowhere I called the Parent Company, Electrolux at 706-651-7111, and spoke to a President's representative by the name of Rebecca Williams. I explained that I hunt and am very concerned the outgassing of the odor will be adsorbed by my hunting clothes. She said she will try to get a gasket without the offending odor sent to me(that was a couple weeks ago). I called for an update, and have not heard from her, so I called several more times, and not one of those calls was returned, so I can only assume that this was a stall job,& I am just getting ignored.Finally spoke to lawyer who said they could just jerk me around forever, and it would cost me far more than the machine was worth to litigate to get it fixed(he hunts and so he knows this thing could be problematic). He did suggest it might be a good idea to post this up so others could avoid spending money(and a lot of it) on an He machine made by them only to have their carbon suits (or No Trace suits like mine) adsorbing the odors contaminating the machines. If you think this is not really a problem, you should take a whiff of one of their machines---it smells like a teeny-bopper got loose with a prefume bottle. Again---be very cautious buying a washer. Now it looks like I'll have to buy a junker just to wash my clothing in the woodshed. BTW---still have not heard from them...Their customer service issues seem to stem from a systemic lack of concern for their customers.... if they were an archery company they be OOB already!!!!!

·
Wisconsin Bowhunter
144 Posts
Vanilla scented camo (patent pending )

Fridgidaire may be onto something here.
Some people use vanilla as an attractant/curiosity scent for whitetail.

Seriously though, I hope things get settled to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Have you tried using affresh?

Affresh washer cleaner prevents and removes the build up of residue that causes unwanted odors in your high-efficiency washer.

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
I just emailed them

after copying and pasting your comments to their comments/contact section.

Told them a whole lot of PO'ed hunters will see they don't take care of their customers and buy a competitor's product.

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...the rep said she'd send me another gasket, but there "wasn't anything on the gasket there wasn't supposed to be on it" on my message center. I ret'd the call and left a msg that as long as it doesn't smell like this one it would do...but i have my doubts. May still have to buy a clunker. What were they thinking when they made those gaskets...obviously not a lot of outdoor folks must work for them, i guess.....? BTW---NEVER HEARD OF AFFRESH....THIS IS NOT SOME LITTLE ODOR...MY WHOLE LAUNDRY ROOM NOW SMELLS LIKE A VANILLA FACTORY. BLEAH!!!!!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
They were thinking of all the T.O'd people who have complained about the stink inside the washer. Best thing to do with a front loader is always leave the dooe open.

How do the clothes smell after a wash?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Have you tried using affresh?

Affresh washer cleaner prevents and removes the build up of residue that causes unwanted odors in your high-efficiency washer.
When we bought ours they said you could also just use bleach as they told him to do instead of buying the Affresh.

·
Registered
12,804 Posts
so do the clothes stink when they come out of the wash, even if you used a detergent that is supposed to take the smell away from your camo?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
iMMEDIATELY UPON REMOVAL THEY SEEM TO HAVE A FAINT ODOR OF THE "SCHTINK" AS I HAVE COME TO CALL IT....AFTER DRYING IT SEEMS TO BE GONE, BUT THINK ABOUT IT...MY CLOTHING IS DESIGNED TO ABSORB/ADSORB ODORS...ONCE I WASH IT IN THEIR MACHINE...IT BECOMES USELESS AT MASKING HUMAN ODOR. KINDA DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF WASHING RTHEM, WHICH IS TO REMOVE ODOR. AGAIN...WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? IF THEY ARE MANUFACTURING WASHING MACHINES, DON'T THEY RESEARCH THE FABRICS FOLKS USE AS WELL SO THEY CAN TAILOR THEIR PRODUCRT TO THE MARKETPLACE? MOREOVER, IF I WERE MAKING THOSE MACHINES, I'D BE LOOKING TO MAKE THEM AS "NEUTRAL" AS IS POSSIBLE TO APPEAL TO THE WIDEST CUSTOMER BASE POSSIBLE, BUT HEY, THAT'S JUST ME AND THE ECONOMY IS JUST BOOMING, Y'KNOW?

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Am I the only one thinking that the folks at the Frigidaire Customer Service office are laughing their butts off at the "crazy" hunter? :wink: :D

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YES THE CLOTHING SMELLS EVEN AFTER USING ATSKO.:mad: THIS MACHINE IS ABOUT USELESS FOR WASHING HUNTING CLOTHES

·
Registered
12,804 Posts
iMMEDIATELY UPON REMOVAL THEY SEEM TO HAVE A FAINT ODOR OF THE "SCHTINK" AS I HAVE COME TO CALL IT....AFTER DRYING IT SEEMS TO BE GONE, BUT THINK ABOUT IT...MY CLOTHING IS DESIGNED TO ABSORB/ADSORB ODORS...ONCE I WASH IT IN THEIR MACHINE...IT BECOMES USELESS AT MASKING HUMAN ODOR. KINDA DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF WASHING RTHEM, WHICH IS TO REMOVE ODOR. AGAIN...WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? IF THEY ARE MANUFACTURING WASHING MACHINES, DON'T THEY RESEARCH THE FABRICS FOLKS USE AS WELL SO THEY CAN TAILOR THEIR PRODUCRT TO THE MARKETPLACE? MOREOVER, IF I WERE MAKING THOSE MACHINES, I'D BE LOOKING TO MAKE THEM AS "NEUTRAL" AS IS POSSIBLE TO APPEAL TO THE WIDEST CUSTOMER BASE POSSIBLE, BUT HEY, THAT'S JUST ME AND THE ECONOMY IS JUST BOOMING, Y'KNOW?
why all CAPS, was just a question.

Am I the only one thinking that the folks at the Frigidaire Customer Service office are laughing their butts off at the "crazy" hunter? :wink: :D
i was kind of thinking the same thing... :tongue:

·
Registered
12,804 Posts
YES THE CLOTHING SMELLS EVEN AFTER USING ATSKO.:mad: THIS MACHINE IS ABOUT USELESS FOR WASHING HUNTING CLOTHES
that's weird....

so the company is saying it is around the door, why would the "stink" blend in with the clothes if it was just there for "door order".....that is kind of nuts...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry about the caps, hit the wrong button....and yes they are probably laughing, but when you spend serious cash on clothing to keep YOUR stink down, who needs "help" from the machine---and yes this is weird, i have never run across anything like this......just keep in mind that all odor is particulate in nature, and so if something smells, yes it is transferrable....to your clothing, espercially if it is designed to pick odors up.

·
Registered
12,804 Posts
Sorry about the caps, hit the wrong button....and yes they are probably laughing, but when you spend serious cash on clothing to keep YOUR stink down, who needs "help" from the machine---and yes this is weird, i have never run across anything like this......just keep in mind that all odor is particulate in nature, and so if something smells, yes it is transferrable....to your clothing, espercially if it is designed to pick odors up.
no worries...

i get what you are saying, what stumps me is that they have a piece of hardware on their doors that, by your description (pardon the dumb questions) releases "perfumes" back into the wash....i think i'm reading the post right...seems to me, that something would be wrong then, as i the way i understood it, the "perfume belt" was for the oder AFTER the wash and you open the door and it smells pretty...

usually after i wash, when i hit the field, i spray down on top of that as well...

·
In the begining God......
3,717 Posts
When we got our HE washer we also got the dryer. The thing that sold me was the steam cycle in the dryer.......removes odors.

·
3,717 Posts
Washer and dryer both are Samsung..washer has a sanitize feature, then follow thatup with steam in the dryer.

·
3,717 Posts
(SLAP SELF IN FOREHEAD) I coulda had a V-8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hear that frigidaire??????
We went to Lowes, and was just looking at some things, and passed by the washer & dryer section, The guy was telling us all about it how quiet, energy efficient it was. Then he got to the steam.

I asked "what will that do for me?"

He replied. "Well it will cut down on your dry cleaning bill, can fluff up a lighty worn work shirt or pants, and if you like to hunt, it is great for helping get odors out of your clothes." (and no I wasn't wearing any camo)

Yep walked out of there, with a new washer and dryer.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts