Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I did a search and everyone did nothing but whine about how loud they are lol.

My question to anyone who has ever used them is, how loud can they possible be when sitting on stand and making the normal slow movements you would make when deer are coming in? If you are trying to be quiet I can't see this stuff making too much noise....any suggestions?

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Frog Toggs can make a little noise when it dry not bad thou quite when wet. the older it gets the quiter it gets. That said I love Frog Toggs, 10 years plus and Gore Tex stays at home, Frog Toggs are very lite so you don't mind carring them.

Good luck. Ric

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I love the frog toggs.

Has anyone who says they suck get out in the rain with them on and try again? Mines about 3 years old so maybe thats where the difference is?

·
Registered
789 Posts
They are cheap. I've known multiple people that have had them and had them rip....also they don't breath whatsoever. If I was going cheap I'd rather have marmot precip...least those have armpit zippers....but they are both coated nylon which traps moisture and both will get hot...if you want something that breaths but holds out rain well you want gortex or eVent....but they are both expensive.

·
Registered
445 Posts
They are bit load for spot and stalk but they keep you dry. In a stand they are fine and beats hypothermia anyday:wink:

·
Registered
315 Posts
got some for Christmas (which I asked for) and took them back cause I knew they would be too loud to bow hunt with.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had frog toggs for several years and for keeping dry in the rain in low activity - they can't be beat. For a rifle hunt sitting in the rain they are perfect. Walking through any kind of brush on the other hand you will need to take off the pants for sure or they will rip. Bowhunting next to a loud stream would be good too. But if you want to keep quiet these aren't the right gear. I have some and often carry them in the pack- but they are strictly for sitting in heavy rain, not anything else.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I killed a deer wearing mine in the rain last year. They are pretty loud at first but they quiet down as the break in. I only wear mine when its really raining hard out because they really aren't that comfortable, but better that being wet, and I already paid for them so im not going to go spend more money on another rain suit that may or may not work better.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
My local Walmart has a set for 50.00 in camo. They do appear a little loud in the store but I can see how they would get quiter in the rain and with wear. I am looking something to slip on in the stand when there is a good steady rain(you would have the noise of the rain to cover any noise the toggs may make) and remove when it is not raining. They look very packable and appear they would serve a treestand hunter well. It appears that they would not work well in briars or for much hard core walking though.

I am interested in any opinions any one has on the Frog Toggs......because for the price of 50.00 I may try them.

·
Born yank raised south
16,841 Posts
I have had mine for two years. They are loud but they get better with use and when they are wet. My suggestion would be to get them on get them wet and then wear them aorund the house for a few hours for a couple of stright days. They keep you very dry, pack easy, and keep you warm too when the temps are cold and its raining.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I've have a set I keep on my boat and they are loud. I wouldn't want to bowhunt in them unless I had no other options.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I have never worn them, but I think they would be very loud.
Yea...From I can tell in the store they have some noise to them when they are dry. But I am thinking if it I only wear them when it is raining...they will be wet which will quiet them down a bit and you also have the pitter-patter of rain drops creating noise in the woods to cover noise also.

Question is...Will they keep you dry in a treestand while its raining?

·
Born yank raised south
16,841 Posts
Yea...From I can tell in the store they have some noise to them when they are dry. But I am thinking if it I only wear them when it is raining...they will be wet which will quiet them down a bit and you also have the pitter-patter of rain drops creating noise in the woods to cover noise also.

Question is...Will they keep you dry in a treestand while its raining?
Yes I wear mine a lot due to living in Florida and having afternoon T-Storms often. They keep you very dry other than your shoes.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
They work extermely well but I'd wear a vinyl PVC rain suit before the FTs for hunting. Just too loud for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts