Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back I went away from multi pin sights as I just wanted to try single pin. I had some opportunities last season early where foliage was still thick and deer snuck in at 35 yards. With small windows I was unable to dial sight in before my opportunity was gone. So set one bow up for early season with a multi pin where pins come out from the side. Man did my groups open up. So much clutter 1st two pins almost touching. Im taking many others experience this issue which is why single pin sights are so popular. Wonder if a sight with pins coming from the bottom up would help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I switched from a multiple pin sight to single pin because of sight clutter. My bow (CST ZT) is fast enough that I can set my sight at 32yards and be 2” low at 40 and 2” high at 20yards. You might want to experiment a little and find your best “overall” distance. With mine, I can dial in if it’s farther than 40.

·
Registered
Prime Black 1, Sinoart Falcon Recurve
751 Posts
Shoot heavier arrows. Your pins won’t be so cluttered. 😆

·
Blue Marlin
3,001 Posts
Go back to a single. Seems like you'd be able to shoot a target enough to figure out your hold over if it's set at 20-25 ?

·
The Impartial Archer
18,756 Posts
Shoot heavier arrows. Your pins won’t be so cluttered. ��
+1.........and the bow is more quiet, you get more penetration and the trajectory is fine for that 35 yard shot you had to pass on as well..........but hey what do I know.

I think it's a no-brainer you can shoot 1 pin set to a single distance better......but with everything archery related that's not the only thing going on. With a single pin you have to move it (like the op tried) or you have to hold off because NO bow is shooting flat from 0 -35 yards.

With multi pins if the bow is fast the pins wad up, you can mistake a pin for the wrong distance and you have more issues with L&R "between" pins like at 23 25 37 yards etc

If you want to get rid of ALL of that get a range finding single pin..........that's NOT my thing but it would solve all these issues. Otherwise pick yer' poison.

Then you only have to worry about dead batteries, failure, weight and cost............lol.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
That's a sucky scenario and I feel for you. Luckily it's not like that for me. I shoot just as accurately with a fixed multi-pin as I do a single. I don't like 7-pin, but do just fine with 5 & 3. For deer hunting from a stand, a 3-pin is tough to beat. I spend all year practicing with a slider so I can shoot distance, but when hunting season comes around I use a basic, simple 3 or 5 pin.

If I had to range a deer, adjust my sight, then draw, I'd probably never shoot a deer. Unlike TV where it's edited to look like the deer comes in to a broadside 15yds & stops to wait for the hunter to range it before drawing, my encounters last only moments. I'm lucky if the buck ever gives me a shot, even if he is within range. When I do get a shot it's within a nanosecond time frame. I have to already be drawn and fire when the time is right or else I lose the opportunity. I can't be monkeying around with a range finder. That said, I pass a lot of time in my stand by ranging everything around my perimeter, making mental notes of how far things are. If a deer comes into my bubble, I already know how far away he is before firing an arrow.

I like the idea RIS talks about but my pin gap isn't that tight with 480gr arrows. If my max range was 30yds I might be able to pull it off with one pin set at 25. But as my equipment goes, I prefer having 3 fixed pins for 20, 30, & 40yds.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,756 Posts
Like Skipop said it's what you get use to. If you spend some time with it you will learn how to shoot it. I like the 3 pin as well (not that it makes any better or worse) because I set it to 20 30 and 40 and I can shoot very well from 0 - 45 with the only holds offs being really close or over 40. Honestly if I didn't practice longer distances before deer season I could ditch the 40 and probably the 30 too but I like to have them for reference points.

If my bow was shooting 280 or faster I probably would shoot a single pin.......but it's about 230 -240 by choice :wink: The only way I could get 280+ would be to shoot a really light arrow, have a louder bow or shoot really high draw weight and I don't like any of those choices........lol

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
How many pins did you go to? I see guys with 7 pins with the top pin 1/4" from the top of the housing. I hunted with a guy once (only once) that had his sight set so the 3 pin was 25 yards. He never used the top 2 pins????????????

I use a 3 pin so not too much clutter. I set them at 25/35/50yds. I will only shoot at a deer out to 40 so basically is a 2 pin. I use the 50 for targets. And I use 500gr+ arrows.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
I use 7-pin sights and the pins come out from the side. Accuracy isn't an issue even to 80. But I agree with the others......I wouldn't want any pins close together. Heavier arrow or set them up for further distances.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,756 Posts
I like the idea RIS talks about but my pin gap isn't that tight with 480gr arrows. If my max range was 30yds I might be able to pull it off with one pin set at 25. But as my equipment goes, I prefer having 3 fixed pins for 20, 30, & 40yds.
I think that leads to a lot of problems when you do that and then have a deer pop up at 5 - 10 yards from a treestand. Most people don't practice that shot and tend to screw it up when they have a far pin only.

Of course like anything if you practiced it then it would be doable........

·
Archery Addict
9,251 Posts
I used to shoot multi pin sights for hunting and had them at 10 yd intervals. I bought a used bow with a single pin HHA on it intending on changing out the sight. Once I started shooting with the single pin, it just became so much better for me. I now have single pin adjustable sights on all my bows and probably won't ever go back to fixed multi pins. It's just almost automatic to me to range the target (or deer) and grab my bow, slide to pin to the distance, aim and shoot knowing I have the correct "pin". It literally only takes 1-2 seconds to make the adjustment if needed. I haven't yet had a single issue that caused me to miss a shot opportunity due to having to adjust the pin setting. I keep the pin set on 20 yards in most instances unless my rangefinder indicates that the main trails or shooting lanes are farther then I set it based on that information. Most of the deer I've killed in the past 20 years have been within 20 yards so it's just a given that I set my pin for that yardage. I do have a black gold widowmaker 5 pin in my work bench that I can put on a bow in an emergency if needed, or to use on a new bow until my desired sight comes in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go back to single, just continue to practice and you will get quicker at ranging and dialing in.. anything beats the clutter of muilti pin sights

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I can't relate with the crowded sight picture. I don't notice any pin except for the one I'm using, and the others don't block my vision. I shoot with both eyes wide open, my left eye with an unobstructed, focused view of the target point. My right eye is focused on the preferred pin and the others fade away. Somehow my brain reconciles the difference and when the pin is on the target, I see both quite clearly & unobstructed. It only works if the target is inside my sight housing, though, specifically if the pin and contact point are together. Otherwise I can only focus on one or the other. But when I'm shooting, as soon as the pin covers my target point, they become one focus and everything else disappears.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
If multiple pins are so close together you can't see, then change the distances your pins are at! No rule says they have to be every 10 yards starting at 20! IF the bow is fast enough, set them starting at 25 or 30. Spread them every 20 yards or some other setup;

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm really thinking its because the pins cone from the side. May need to try one multi pin that comes from bottom

·
Mark
5,688 Posts
once you get use to single pin you will hate a multi-pin, speaking from experience! try dropping the middle pins and use two set at 20 and well you pick the yardage, 35? I believe Trophy Ridge makes a multiple pin with vertical pins but never tried one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts