1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Cant wait to take my own

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Nice pics. How close were they? The does look like they are arm-length from your blind. Telephoto lense or up close and personal...?

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both,

Easykeeper said:
Nice pics. How close were they? The does look like they are arm-length from your blind. Telephoto lense or up close and personal...?
They were 2 fence posts away, about 10 yds. I sit on the ground in the tall grass on a stool and my video camera is on a tripod next to me, these are clips from about 10 minutes of video.

Took a doe a few days earlier from the same spot. I like it up close and personal, but it is how one must hunt around here.

I hunt public ground in southwest Minnesota and on public ground darn near every tree has someone in it. So, I adapted and overcame.:wink:

I have a video at Huntingfootage.com that shows the doe kill, but for some reason I can not get it linked on here. It will be under deer using my name Silenthntr, check it out it was not the best but its good.:)

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
That's great. I love hunting from the ground but don't have a blind, just make do with whatever is around. I've never killed a deer on the ground, but the times I've been close has been a whole different level of intensity compared to hunting from a treestand. Keep posting the pics, fun to see them...:)

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Easykeeper said:
That's great. I love hunting from the ground but don't have a blind, just make do with whatever is around. I've never killed a deer on the ground, but the times I've been close has been a whole different level of intensity compared to hunting from a treestand. Keep posting the pics, fun to see them...:)
I call it a blind, but it is just natural cover with a little clip here and there. Hope you get a chance to take one from the ground...it brings a new meaning to bowhunting.:) I had a rough day today, but I plan on going out in a few and hope to get some more video and maybe a nice big doe. Good hunting.

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Ishi.

For some reason it just would not work for me. Yes, she was trying to get my scent and her fawns were running all around. Had the area ranged out pretty good, so I knew my limits. I have some more video that I shot tonight in a different spot. will put some clips of it up tommorow. Good hunting. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Great Blind !

Obviously a very effetive setup!
How about some up close pics of the blind from different sides and from where the deer were standing..How is it made & and what scent block do you use.

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello, zermatt7

zermatt7 said:
Obviously a very effetive setup!
How about some up close pics of the blind from different sides and from where the deer were standing..How is it made & and what scent block do you use.

Blind might be the wrong word, I am a ground hunter because the area I hunt has few usable trees. I sit with my back against a fence post or tree trunk, in the tall grass, at a point way off roads and where the fields come to a corner. Usually they are high traffic areas and good for filling doe tags or ocassionally a nice buck, but mostly does.
As for scent control I use baking soda to was my clothes and then put them in a bag with earth scent waffers. I try to keep the wind coming at an angle over my shoulder away from where the deer come out. The angled wind direction has saved me from being caught off gaurd by a deer that decides to come the way it wants.

This is not a good deer photo, but it gives you an idea of the area I hunt in. The picture is of a buck I shot a few years ago in the same spot on the ground.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts