Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have used this tactic and do you have any pointers on making it work. I've got an area to hunt that doesn't really allow for a stand to be placed without a lot of trimming but I could possibly hunt from the ground. Do you use cover scent? I wear x-scent and wash all my cloths and use scent killer soaps and spray. It's a promising site except for the stand thing. Figure if I wait on a fairlly strong S - SW wind I could get in some tall grass and maybe make it happen. Guess it won't hurt to try at least.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
i hunt from the ground all the time. Get a guillie suit. Its kind of like wearing a blind

Josh

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
Lots of deer have been killed that way in the past. Popups & tree stands have not always been around. Keep the wind in your favor, use the natural cover to your advantage and DO NOT MOVE.

·
Registered
895 Posts
It's hard,

but it definately can be done. I've gotten a few that way. It's a last resort to hunt a particular area for me. Your best bet is to find some sort of natural blind, like a downed tree or a brush pile. Good luck!

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
That's exactly how I will be hunting tomorrow morning and as a matter of fact, that is how I was hunting when I had an encounter with a BEAST of a buck 2 years ago.

At any rate, a few of my spots either don't have trees suitable for a stand or the trees that are there are too far away from where the action happens. When things like this happen, it's time to improvise ;)

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I am hunting in one spot this year with only a natural ground blind.

After several years I finally figured out that the cover behind you is more important than anything in front of you. So this spring I picked two trees that were close together and filled in the space between them with deadfall and debris.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I hunt more from the ground than I do in the trees, I just like it better for some reason. Most important thing is to have the wind in your face and be as scent free as possible. I also started wearing the ASAT 3d leafy suit last year and that has helped a ton I think. I also try to pay particular attention to the cover behind me, and rarely use any kind of a "blind". Just like any hunting keep movement to a minimum, and when you do have to move, plan your timing well so you don't get busted.

All in all I have killed more deer from the ground than I have from trees but that is probably due mostly to hunting more from the ground as well.:)

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, I can tell you that being 10-15 yards from a deer on the ground is a whole lot different than having one that close to a tree stand, it is something you will never forget if it happens!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I would say the two most important things are a) wind b) use the natural cover. Also, the setup I used on an 8-point I killed last year from the ground included a Renzo feeding doe decoy. Once he saw that, he didn't pay much attention to me.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,441 Posts
Do it all the time. After or during a rain when the ground is soft and quiet. Keep your eyes peeled wide open:eek: I use anything around me for concealment. With the wind in your favor you can get surprisingly close to feeding deer. Bedded deer are another story, much harder.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I did this a lot last year, I would sit on a small embankment with high grass, stomp the grass down in spots and there was a russian olive tree over head, made for great cover. Had deer walk out of the river bottom to the corn less than 5 yards away from me and they never even saw me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I took two deer last year on the ground without a blind. The first time was after a rain so the ground was soaking wet. I could move easily with making a sound. The second time was with wet snow, no noise. ASAT 3D Leafy suit was on and definitely helped.

I will be out there this Sunday trying from the ground again. I have a blind for when the conditions are dry and the leaves are nice and crunchy.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
This is the only way I bow hunt. I carry a fold up stool with a back. I don't even worry too much about cover, just making sure that that there is enough background cover for me to blend in. I have arrowed 13 deer in the last 5 years doing this, including 2 10pts. I have even been "made" by deer that just stand there and let me pick up, draw and shoot them, at 16 yds! The best was a nice 7 pt. His eyes where riveted on me the whole time! Sit still, keep moving your eyes to see them first! However, if they see you first just move really, really slow and see what happens. Sometimes they sneak in and I move too quickly whick spooks them. I am considering using a blind as developed but my friend GreggWNY, as described on this forum, but don't know if I want to lug anything extra. I know this blind works as Gregg has arrowed 60 plus deer from his!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Absolutely. I've done it a couple times, sometimes I think it's MORE effective than a ground blind, because you aren't putting something in a spot that wasn't there before. Deer notice everything. If you can get in some natural cover, with the right wind, you should have no problem. I shot a 130 class buck a couple of years ago using this strategy.

I also believe Mel Johnson shot the world record typical with a bow this way.

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
Get your back up against a tree to break up your form and play the wind. If you have to move, do it very slowly. Scan with your eyes not with your head. I use either a three-legged stool or a strap-on Bobcat Tree Seat to get closer to the tree. Deer do not have very good depth perception and they'll ignore a fat bottom tree unless it's moving. Deer have "prey" eyes, one on each side of their head, so they can detect any movement around them. Predators have their eyes forward giving them better depth perception during an attack. Muski vs perch, wolf vs sheep, us vs venison.

A leafy gilli suit works well until the leaves are down, then the waving leafs just draw attention to your position.

:cocktail:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ground hunting is the way to go, tree stands are over rated. Find a good tree next to a peice of underbrush. You need something to sit on I perfer a good swivel bucket. Ive nailed a few deer over the years this way. It is a complete rush to get one eye to eye. Good luck and good hunting.

·
Registered
831 Posts
When I am hunting from the ground. I try to find a tree to use as cover and rather than sit in front I always try and keep the deer between me and the tree. When I first get to the tree I remove all the leaves from the ground a big 3 foot circle. When the deer comes down the trail I put the tree between me and him. When I draw he does not see any movement. One thing to remember is to leave enouph room between you and the tree for the arrow.

·
Registered
610 Posts
All of the above, and don't move!

When your on the ground, they can smell you faster than you can notice that the wind has changed direction.

I don't care what you use, scent loc, scent killer, scent elliminator, even if your a walking bag of carbon, if your on public ground they will smell you.

Don't move. Hunt the wind.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I plan to do some ground hunting this year. I just finished setting up a couple of "natural brush blinds" this morning. I prepared one blind off a well used trail with an unbeleavable rub line and several scrapes. The White Oaks in the area were raining acorns. Can't wait until next Saturdays bow opener!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I took my first archery deer last year from the ground with no blind, but dont make the mistake I made. I picked the only open spot I could find and later realizing that it was a trail. Soon enough that doe came trotting my way, lol So I pulled up and got her. I might have passed her up, but for my first archery deer I was VERY happy, Good Luck and Be Careful!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts