Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm running a 30" schrewd bar on my supra max and it has quite a bit of flex in it I was told that a stiffer bar would be better so I was wondering if I should get a different stiffer bar also wondering if I should use a 30" or 28" front bar any input would be great

·
Back Yard Champion
29,701 Posts
If you're not knowledgeable, have some one cut a couple of inches off your stabilizer. Might make all the difference and Hey, you don't need a 30" stab because the next guy has one.

No real determination as for length. More of personal preference. That said, the longer the stab the less weight it takes. Shorter stabs, say 24", need more weight to get the same effect. Okay, think leverage....

And the same runs true for use of back bars. Here's Griv's formula, just substitute length you have.

length of front bar times weight on front bar = "X"

Then:
"X" divided by length of back bar = weight on back bar.

example:
27" Front bar length times weight of 4 ounces = 108
108 / 12" rear bar length = 9 ounces for the rear bar.

You then take the 9 ounces, put it on the rear bar. If you do a true V bar, you split the weights between the two bars. If you do a side bar, you do it on the solo side bar.

You then add or remove weight on the rear bar only. Aim for the X. Remove or add weight until your side to side "misses" are down to a nice, ragged oval that basically kills the X.

So he's using 27" for the front and 12" for the back.
So, using 30" and 15";
30" times 6 ounces is 180 ounces
180 ounces / 15" is 12 ounces or 6 ounces on two back bars.

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
There was a good article in the old Tournament Archer mag about stiffness in the bars. The stiffer the better.

The bar's purpose is to reduce tourqe, not dampen noise. The bar helps fight that immediate side to side movement when the arrow is released.

·
Registered
320 Posts
So I'm running a 30" schrewd bar on my supra max and it has quite a bit of flex in it I was told that a stiffer bar would be better so I was wondering if I should get a different stiffer bar also wondering if I should use a 30" or 28" front bar any input would be great
Which Shrewd bar have you got? The .875" series are much stiffer than the .600". Not sure about the Spectrum's as the Shrewd website doesn't mention what thickness they are, but they look more like a .875". Also, the Shrewd 1 bars would not be as stiff as the .875".

I'm looking at getting a set of Shrewds for my Nitrum as my local shop are now dealers for them and they seem to be well made. Not as expensive as Doinkers either. If the Spectrum's are reasonably stiff I'll probably go for those so I can get a bit of colour to match my bow.

·
Socket Man
24,246 Posts
I shoot b stinger competitiors which are the second tier ones and much cheaper than the premiers and they do a great job for the money. I shoot with 33 inch front rod and a 10 degree quick disconnect and a 15 inch rear bar mounted low on the riser.

Now the important part is having access to 50 ounces of weight so you can lay it out and start with nothing on the bars and shoot a few shots to feel it and then start adding weight and fill the bars with all the weight over a couple days with a variety of combinations and write down how you felt and sooner or later you will find a combination that really compliments your shooting.

·
Socket Man
24,246 Posts
Two of my favorites are

1. 21 oz in the rear and 9 up front

2. 33 oz in the rear and 20 up front.

My competition one is the 33-20 one and it to me gives a nice float and feel to the shot

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have me a 27" b stinger premiere to try out now

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Two of my favorites are

1. 21 oz in the rear and 9 up front

2. 33 oz in the rear and 20 up front.

My competition one is the 33-20 one and it to me gives a nice float and feel to the shot
My set up is close to your no 1 set up. Your no 2 set up would over stress me. Are you a large strong guy?

I assume that you don't buy into the statement that heavy stabilizers cause injury.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Brad, which Shrewd are you using?

I emailed Shrewd to find out a few things, and they said that the .600 is stiffer than the .875 as it uses thicker carbon, and that the Spectrum is similar to the Shrewd 1 for stiffness. That doesn't help me as I don't know how stiff the 1 is. The Spectrum is .875 diameter as I suspected.

My local shop told me that the .875 was stiffer than the .600, so I'm all confused now.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
You could cut a couple inches off of current stabilizer. Doing so will stiffen up the rod some. If you want to get new bar check out doinker. They use a stiff carbon

·
USMC 04/2005-05/2013
3,603 Posts
Brad, which Shrewd are you using?

I emailed Shrewd to find out a few things, and they said that the .600 is stiffer than the .875 as it uses thicker carbon, and that the Spectrum is similar to the Shrewd 1 for stiffness. That doesn't help me as I don't know how stiff the 1 is. The Spectrum is .875 diameter as I suspected.

My local shop told me that the .875 was stiffer than the .600, so I'm all confused now.
Who you going to believe, your dealer, or the people who actually make them?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts