Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was curious if any one has had an adverse experience with a high front of center arrow? My set up is a Black Eagle X-Impact arrow with the outsert(44g) and a 125g head on a 26" arrow, so this puts me at 17.9% FOC , I will add I normally run 11-13% FOC.
My thought was to get a little more speed out of my set up.. 378g total weight and most of that being up front for penetration. If any one has any thoughts in either direction please respond

Thank you and good shooting!!

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,520 Posts
You should not have any adverse reaction at all with a FOC at that level. I shoot 15% now and get better and more stable flight than I have at lower percentages. I've heard of lots of guys going north of your number with no issues and loving the results. I would say go with the setup and don't worry in the least about it.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I.M.O. The more F.O.C. The Better. I shoot 18% with me 3D arrows, and somewhere between 20-22% for hunting. You will get different opinions on both sides of this issue, an both have valid points, but it has been my experience that with more FOC I get better arrow flight, especially down range, along with better penatration.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I played with arrows up to around 27% FOC in preparation for some African hunts. I've never seen one downside to higher FOC. That having been said, that's not what I shoot for Whitetails.

To get that level of FOC in my dotage I was down to around 250 fps.

Still, I like to be around 18%. Easier tuning with great penetration potential.

What's not to like? That is, unless speed is very important to you.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a slight pin adjustment I was able to shoot out to 80 yards tonight very comfortably. Arrows are fast and pounding the target with great penetration and very accurate I might add.
I'm impressed with the new set up so far!

Thanks for all the feed back

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
I been hunting with a minimum of 17% FOC for the past 5 or 6 years. I never plan to go under that. Great flight, accuracy and penetration, it doesn't get any better than that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm a close range (30 yd or so) bowhunter and shoot a heavy arrow with a high over 20% foc, depending on which math you calculate your foc with (including broadhead and nock in total arrow length or not)? I shoot the very heaviest and highest foc arrow my bow can tolerate. I love my 680 grain total weight Easton xx78 super slam 2317/.300 with 5 inch shield cut feathers and a 200 grain vpa 3 blade terminator broadhead. absolutely the most accurate, stable, quiet, best performing arrow for my set up and style of bowhunting. I just kept experimenting with different spines, gpi weights, foc, feathers/vanes, broadhead styles and weights. don't hesitate to try different arrow weights and higher foc. I recommend to buy a field tip test kit from Alaska Bowhunting and try all the tip weights up to 200 grains. It comes with sizes in 100, 125, 150, 175, and 200 grain. then you can zero in on what tip weight works best for you . good luck.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I'm a close range (30 yd or so) bowhunter and shoot a heavy arrow with a high over 20% foc, depending on which math you calculate your foc with (including broadhead and nock in total arrow length or not)? I shoot the very heaviest and highest foc arrow my bow can tolerate. I love my 680 grain total weight Easton xx78 super slam 2317/.300 with 5 inch shield cut feathers and a 200 grain vpa 3 blade terminator broadhead. absolutely the most accurate, stable, quiet, best performing arrow for my set up and style of bowhunting. I just kept experimenting with different spines, gpi weights, foc, feathers/vanes, broadhead styles and weights. don't hesitate to try different arrow weights and higher foc. I recommend to buy a field tip test kit from Alaska Bowhunting and try all the tip weights up to 200 grains. It comes with sizes in 100, 125, 150, 175, and 200 grain. then you can zero in on what tip weight works best for you . good luck.
Good post.

Did you realize that you can (or, maybe could) also get a test kit with some of their tapered shafts? Three different shafts to the kit. If you want a heavy, high FOC, hard hitting arrow they're a great way to get there. Lots of fun along the way.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I shoot a 459 grain arrow with around 30% FOC. I recently switched to a weighted insert to increase FOC, and I have to say, it made a big difference in my groups. I was around 17%, but I'm glad I switched.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts