Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why should or should not a frontal shot be taken, facing directly at you? if so, where would you aim? how about a quartering too shot, same question. why or why not?

· Premium Member
10,362 Posts
I take frontal shots on deer. Aim just above the brisket, right below the neck. Quarter too shots,,, right threw the shoulder! Haven't had any issues.

· Registered
70 Posts
I take frontal shots on deer. Aim just above the brisket, right below the neck. Quarter too shots,,, right threw the shoulder! Haven't had any issues.

Please Note: With montec broadheads and enough KE.

It is not an advisable shot but can be take if your setup is right an deer is very relaxed and you are a good shot.

dont even attempt if deer is alert and with mechanical broadheads

· Registered
53 Posts
A fellow on another forum I frequent took a briskette shot on a BT Doe...

Worked fine, dropped the deer quickly...
Unfortunately, it also went out the tail and spilled all those wonderful stomach/intestine "juices" all over the meat.

With the right broadhead, and todays "excessive energy" bows it is becoming a more "possible" and "proven" shot...but I still wouldn't take it. Too many variables. Broadside or it walks.

· Registered
12,838 Posts
According to Dr Ashbys reports it is the most deadly and succesfull shot.

But definitly not for someone who does not know the exact anatomy of the animal and that is not very experienced!!
I have seen it work... never taken that shot myself... but I wouldnt rule it out.

P.S. Who is DR. ASHBY?

JIM

· Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, here is why i am asking. i took a doe the other day, about 10-12 yards, quartering too. i placed it inline with the shoulder, and hit a hair above it. sher dropped i her tracks, the fastest non skeletal kill i have ever seen. it took out the lungs, and several major artieries. i am confident with the range, i can hit a marble at 10 yards, and after this eperience, i will take it again, given the range is under 20 or so. i am shooting a 9.6 gpi shaft, 125 grain all steel fixed head, and 65 lbs, all tuned to perfection, so my equipment is adequite. i was just wondering what other experiences were.
btw, the popcorn eating icon is not cute, or original. down right annoying if ya ask me...:zip:

· Registered
2,005 Posts
It's risky, but if the arrow is put in the right place it will work. I know a guy who took this shot the deer was like 10 yards facing him and he shot I think it was a rage 3 blade and he said the blood just came pouring out. It walked off a couple steps and lay down to die.

· Registered
10,318 Posts
I'll take a quartering to shot any day. Wait for the near leg to go back and put it between that shoulder and the sternum, aiming for the far shoulder. Nothing risky about it. Nothing majical. No armour protecting the vitals...just ribcage. It's a quartering away shot in reverse. Every shot angle has to be put in the right place, and the quarting to shot is no different, and no more difficult to make. Every shot angle has the chance of turning into a wounding shot. I have killed a bunch of deer with it and they always go down very quickly. I really don't get those that claim it is a low % shot.

· Registered
1,361 Posts
Stan Potts took his largest whitetail with a bow 200"+ I believe shooting it right in the chest at 15 yards.

I have seen the good in it for guys and I have also seen it go bad for guys.

I am vry confident in my shooting ability and can honestly say I have never been in a position where It was now or never to take that kind of shot. All my deer that presented me with a frontal shot presented me with a broadside shot after I waited.

I'm not opposed to taking the shot under 15 yards if it was my last choice. The reason I say 15 is even at 20 yards they can have time to move after the bow goes off and it could get ugly! At 15 not a prayer.

· Registered
2,602 Posts
No! No! No! No!

I learned this the hard way on Monday night. I had a doe broadside at 25 yrds. As I was squeezing off the darn thing turned right to me and I shot her right square in the middle of the chest. Arrow burried clear up to the fletching. Lots of blood for a long time but did not get the deer. Tracked for over five hours 2.5 that night and 2.5 the next day and finally lost blood. Blood was bright red with bubbles in it and chunks of lung. We let the deer go 3 hours before we even thought about tracking. I will never take that shot. My daughter was really mad too because she informed me in the morning that she wanted some hot stick as soon as I could get some and you know us dad's take care of our little girls.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.