Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Embrace the suck!
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does everyone feel about shooting a bull that is facing you? I read an article on it a long time ago and I remember the author describing a sweet spot the size of a softball. I also remember seeing Chris Brackett on AA talk about and practice for frontal shots on mule deer. Does anybody know of any good threads or illustrations for me to research the subject? I'd really like a good visual on the best place to stick a bull that is facing me. I haven't even decided if I will try it yet and I would only consider it as a last resort on a CLOSE animal, so don't flame me too bad. Thanks for the help.

· Registered
920 Posts
Here is a great thread. DON"T DO IT. ( I am not trying to be a D*#k ) Elk will run for every on one lung, or even a high double lung. Do you self a favor, and alittle respect for the animal and wait for the broadside shot. If you have never seen the breast plate on an elk, then you know what I am talking about, and I don't care about the KE, the FPS, and the poundage. Trust me I have been there, along with may others. That little devil telling you to take the front shot. Just wait, and if it doesn't work then you will have a great all most story back at camp. JMO.

· Embrace the suck!
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a great thread. DON"T DO IT. ( I am not trying to be a D*#k ) Elk will run for every on one lung, or even a high double lung. Do you self a favor, and alittle respect for the animal and wait for the broadside shot. If you have never seen the breast plate on an elk, then you know what I am talking about, and I don't care about the KE, the FPS, and the poundage. Trust me I have been there, along with may others. That little devil telling you to take the front shot. Just wait, and if it doesn't work then you will have a great all most story back at camp. JMO.
Thanks man, that's the kind of input I'm looking for.

· Registered
920 Posts
Like I said, not trying to be a D*#K. Over the years I have spent my share of time crawling through the brush following tiny drops of blood, day and night, tracking elk, deer, and hogs. I have also lost my share of animals (not pround of that). I feel that I would be doing you, and the elk, an injustice by not trying to sway you from doing research on a bad shot. Last year my buddy took that shot and sunk his arrow above the chest plate, and bellow the next on a nice CO bull. Three of us spent 5 hours that day following blood, no elk. Next two days during the afternoon looking for a needle in a hay stack, no elk. The look on his face, and the way he felt could tell this story better than I, without saying a word. You are your own man, and this is just my opinion. Like I said, I am don't trying to be a [email protected]*K. So if I came off like that, then I am sorry.

· Former Wyoming Boy
8,704 Posts
It is not a shot I'm looking forward to, I can tell you that.
I've yet to be faced with it, so I can't say for sure that I wouldn't take it, but the elk would have to be close... under 15 yards for sure, completely unaware of me and I would need to be very clear of mind... not something that happens a lot when I have a bull that close.
If you miss that softball sized hole, no elk.
If you don't hit the heart or seperate the plumbing off the top of it, no elk.
If you do everything perfect, you still may never find him if the blood isn't on the ground. No elk.

I never met a coyote that I liked... don't like feeding them.

All that said, there will be plenty of guys on here that will tell you how fast their bull died from this shot.

· Registered
2,259 Posts
Great info, I had that same question in my head for awhile

· Till I drop...
459 Posts
Big X2 from me! I made that mistake 9 years ago at 16 yards and it will probably haunt me for the rest of my bowhunting life.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
I'll tell ya, the actual target size may be closer to a cantaloupe, but it is not a target to look for. You had better be close. The point of the brisket is about 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the way down the center of the cantaloupe from head on.
I once tried a quartering shot at this from 10yrds and the shoulder bone rolled right in the way before impact. I'm not sure if the animal was already in motion at release, but I don't have to tell the rest of the story.
I've pulled it off 2 out of 3 tries and I can not in good conscious, advise this shot to anyone. If you can restrain yourself, I would advise you to do so.

· Registered
522 Posts
i wouldn't take that shot. it would have to be a huge bull and very close for me to consider it. I want the quickest, cleanest kill and that isn't it, unless you hit the heart dead on.

· Registered
2,514 Posts
on a deer i wouldnt have a problem but i would say no on an elk... like stated above not only can an elk run forever on one lung but i have heard that they can also survive it. Like deer and more so, elk are very resiliant animals and if u dont hit the heart then it will be a single lung or front of shoulder which inst good either way

· Registered
6,153 Posts
If it is under 30 yards it is a shot I've took on an elk and will again. He went less than 100 yards. there is always the chance you will wound an animal whether he's broadside or what ever. You can't kill em if you don't shoot. Just know your ability and the anatomy of the animal and decide for yourself

· Registered
8,146 Posts
i saw a thread a while back that had a pic of a deer and the question of the frontal shot and since then i have been really studying the idea. if you are good and confident at your abilities and can aim small/miss small, it looks to me like that shot could be one of the most devastating kill shots you can make. i would think that those willing to take that shot should undoubtedly study and know the anatomy of the elk and where everything is at in different positions ie; leg forward, leg back etc etc.

if at all possible i want that slightly quarter too-to quartered away and anywhere in between but i would not rule the frontal shot out in the perfect situation. another thing to think about is arrow trajectory at close range. where does your arrow hit at 5-10 yards? practice at close distances so you know exactly where that arrow will impact.

· Embrace the suck!
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pictures?

Does anyone have an illustration or picture to show us where that sweet spot is?

· Registered
2,991 Posts
I've never taken a head-on shot personally, elk or otherwise. I have seen two elk killed with frontal shots though, and the results were devastating to say the least. Both went down in sight after beginning to stumble almost immediately, and both literally poured blood like nothing I've ever seen before or since.

Even seeing it, I still feel like it's a lower-percentage shot. Like everyone else, it needs to be close range. If you do slip an arrow in there you can rest assured you're gonna have a meat packing day ahead of you though, at least in my experience.

· 120 CARP
1,521 Posts
i saw a thread a while back that had a pic of a deer and the question of the frontal shot and since then i have been really studying the idea. if you are good and confident at your abilities and can aim small/miss small, it looks to me like that shot could be one of the most devastating kill shots you can make. i would think that those willing to take that shot should undoubtedly study and know the anatomy of the elk and where everything is at in different positions ie; leg forward, leg back etc etc.

if at all possible i want that slightly quarter too-to quartered away and anywhere in between but i would not rule the frontal shot out in the perfect situation. another thing to think about is arrow trajectory at close range. where does your arrow hit at 5-10 yards? practice at close distances so you know exactly where that arrow will impact.

This is a good explanation. This is what I would do. 20 yards and under only. but in the end its up to you. your tag, your shot, your trophy, you make your own choice.

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
I'm two for two on 'em, but they were close range affairs. The only care I needed in trailing either was keeping from getting too bloody on my way to the dead bull.

Still, it goes into the "can't recommend, but lethal category".

Attachments

· Registered
2,381 Posts
[I'm two for two on 'em, but they were close range affairs. The only care I needed in trailing either was keeping from getting too bloody on my way to the dead bull.

Still, it goes into the "can't recommend, but lethal category".[/QUOTE]

where exactly is the entrance hole? thanks

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.