Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to buy my wife a short draw Hoyt target bow. Issue is that she has a 23" draw length and wants to shoot 30#.

We would like to get her a higher-end target (only) bow in a pretty color.

Working with a Hoyt custom shop tech, he tells me that the only non-parallel limb (she doesn't want parallel limbs) bow that can meet this spec is the Avenger Plus.

She already shoots a Salena with a short ATA (31"), and the Avenger is only 32".

I simply cannot believe that Hoyt can't put together a package that will meet her DL and WT requirement with any of their purely target bows or the 737 or 38 Pro. They have access to the charts that contain all the limb deflections, limb lengths and cam combinations.

I'm about ready to sell my Hoyt bows and move over to Mathews. Not that I'm bashing any manufacturer but I've always shot Hoyt.

There are a lot of very smart bow tech's on here. Does anyone have a combination that I could ask Hoyt to look at to get to 23" DL and 30#?

Thanks

·
Registered
971 Posts
Call me crazy, but I would have to assume the Hoyt custom shop tech is probably more in touch with what they can/cannot do than people who frequent archery talk. There is the possibility that they will not go outside certain parameters at the factory because they do not feel the configuration is going to perform up to the high standards they expect from their products. Just because they have a custom shop does not mandate they build every custom configuration people request if they are not comfortable with it. If selling your Hoyt's and going to Mathews is what makes you feel better about the situation then more power to you. I highly doubt you are going to call back into Hoyt and say "John Doe from archerytalk said you can do this" and that will convince them to try. Something inside me tells me they know what they are doing over at Hoyt. Your wife may have to compromise and shoot a parallel limb bow, or the Avenger plus (which is a damn good bow) or yes, another manufacturer.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Call me crazy, but I would have to assume the Hoyt custom shop tech is probably more in touch with what they can/cannot do than people who frequent archery talk. There is the possibility that they will not go outside certain parameters at the factory because they do not feel the configuration is going to perform up to the high standards they expect from their products. Just because they have a custom shop does not mandate they build every custom configuration people request if they are not comfortable with it. If selling your Hoyt's and going to Mathews is what makes you feel better about the situation then more power to you. I highly doubt you are going to call back into Hoyt and say "John Doe from archerytalk said you can do this" and that will convince them to try. Something inside me tells me they know what they are doing over at Hoyt. Your wife may have to compromise and shoot a parallel limb bow, or the Avenger plus (which is a damn good bow) or yes, another manufacturer.
Entertaining post, but not really helpful.

I guess from the way my post put a burr under your saddle that your from Hoyt, eh?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
you need to build an ultra elite with xt 1000's or 500's, this will allow you to get 23 inch draw, you can have the hoyt custom shop do it or do it yourself

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Short Draw Hoyts-I Feel Your Pain

I bought my wife a new Avenger Plus last year and it is a first class bow with all the features that my VE and PE have (machined riser, limb pockets, limbs, etc.) It is a great bow and she is using it for field archery. I also bought a 2006 Hoyt V-Tec and swapped limbs to get the right limb deflection. It is the same riser as the Ultra Tec but with shorter limbs (XT 1000). I bought a new set of #1 Cam 1/2 Plus cams and I am working out the string lengths. The Axle to Axle is going to be about 35 1/2" -36" and the draw length will probably go down to 22 1/2". I am trying to find a place to powder coat the riser the color of red we want and then I will put it all together. Of course none of this is available from the custom shop because the V-Tec is not a current product. It will give you what you want if you have the expertise to put it together or you can wait till I finish this one and I can give you all the specs, limb deflection, and string and cable lengths. My wife's AMO draw is 23.5"
Jbird

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
i believe an ultra elite with xt1000's with cam and 1/2 plus base cam 1 in module position A will yield a 23 inch draw

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Good Suggestion by Weston2009

This would be a great way to go if you don't mind spending the money. It will probably cost you $1200-$1400 to run that configuration through the custom shop. But you would have the convienience of ordering and getting all the skull work done for you.

It really doesn't make much sense to get ticked off at Hoyt because they don't build many bows to these specs. They are in this business to make a profit and target archery is the smallest segment of their market. Bows with less than 24" AMO draw is an even smaller subset of that market. How much time and money would you devote to this if you owned the company? I am just glad they have a custom shop and allow us to order these special niche bows, many companies do not (like Mathews, etc.)
Jbird

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I'm about ready to sell my Hoyt bows and move over to Mathews. Not that I'm bashing any manufacturer but I've always shot Hoyt.
You know, just because you can't get the exact bow your wife wants from hoyt, doesn't mean that you have to sell all your existing bows and buy a different brand....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry I can't help myself but...:mg:

Does this bow make me look fat?!

or

Does this bow make my butt look big?!

·
Registered
716 Posts
This would be a great way to go if you don't mind spending the money. It will probably cost you $1200-$1400 to run that configuration through the custom shop. But you would have the convienience of ordering and getting all the skull work done for you.

It really doesn't make much sense to get ticked off at Hoyt because they don't build many bows to these specs. They are in this business to make a profit and target archery is the smallest segment of their market. Bows with less than 24" AMO draw is an even smaller subset of that market. How much time and money would you devote to this if you owned the company? I am just glad they have a custom shop and allow us to order these special niche bows, many companies do not (like Mathews, etc.)
Jbird
I agree with you to a certain extent. I have always thought though that a great way to grow the sport of archery is to get more women involved. You can ask any women that is competitive in archer and they will tell you that unless they spend the money to shoot the national tournaments there really is not a lot of competition. I believe if Archery Companies would make a few more competitive bows in the shorter draw length that are not a hunting bow we might be able to get more women involved in this sport. I thing one of the only companies is Mathews that have a bow in the specs you are looking for Carlv, with the Presitege. I am a Hoyt guy myself but if my wife wanted to get into archery I think this is the bow that I would go with because she would be a about a 23 inch draw as well.

http://mathewsinc.com/mathews-bows-11258-44-ViewProduct-1381-324.asp#specs

Hope this helps, I guess the other thing you could do is what to see what Hoyt has to offer for next year.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
You can't just get a certain draw or lbs from any bow. They are built a certain way and not all limbs and cams go together....and Hoyt usually isn't gonna put a Frankenbow together for you either.

Think about it....if say a #1 cam on a 737 or PE got 23" don't you think they would offer it....and if the smallest size cam they offer on a particular model only goes down to say 25"....that is with the smallest cam they have for that model :)

On top of that it's VERY tough to get a bow in the 38" range down to a draw length that short anyway....

How small is your wife?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I've been trying to buy my wife a short draw Hoyt target bow. Issue is that she has a 23" draw length and wants to shoot 30#.

We would like to get her a higher-end target (only) bow in a pretty color.

Working with a Hoyt custom shop tech, he tells me that the only non-parallel limb (she doesn't want parallel limbs) bow that can meet this spec is the Avenger Plus.

She already shoots a Salena with a short ATA (31"), and the Avenger is only 32".

I simply cannot believe that Hoyt can't put together a package that will meet her DL and WT requirement with any of their purely target bows or the 737 or 38 Pro. They have access to the charts that contain all the limb deflections, limb lengths and cam combinations.

There are a lot of very smart bow tech's on here. Does anyone have a combination that I could ask Hoyt to look at to get to 23" DL and 30#?

Thanks
Well the ONLY CHOICES you have with Mathews would be the Ignition and Mustang. It will be 32" A2A and is available in 20-50# DW and 19-26" DL. It also has an IBO of 278/280. That's it. Sounds a lot like the Hoyt she's shooting now.

Hope she likes it.:D:thumb:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Entertaining post, but not really helpful.

I guess from the way my post put a burr under your saddle that your from Hoyt, eh?
I left my saddle at home, and no I am not from Hoyt. Just saying you should consider the possibilites that what you are asking is something they may not do, it may not be possible. To come on here and complain and act as if they are just not willing to help you so you are going to sell all your Hoyts is obtuse. Like Brown Hornet said, they are not just going to throw together a frankenbow at every Tom, Dick, and Harry's request. Some things are just not possible. I was not trying to solve your problem by suggesting a configuration, rather trying to get you to consider other possibilites as a "we can't" scenario rather than a "we won't". That's all.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I agree with you to a certain extent. I have always thought though that a great way to grow the sport of archery is to get more women involved. You can ask any women that is competitive in archer and they will tell you that unless they spend the money to shoot the national tournaments there really is not a lot of competition. I believe if Archery Companies would make a few more competitive bows in the shorter draw length that are not a hunting bow we might be able to get more women involved in this sport. I thing one of the only companies is Mathews that have a bow in the specs you are looking for Carlv, with the Presitege. I am a Hoyt guy myself but if my wife wanted to get into archery I think this is the bow that I would go with because she would be a about a 23 inch draw as well.

http://mathewsinc.com/mathews-bows-11258-44-ViewProduct-1381-324.asp#specs

Hope this helps, I guess the other thing you could do is what to see what Hoyt has to offer for next year.
The Prestige only goes down to 40#. She WANTS a 30# bow. Ignition and Mustang is the ONLY bows Mathews makes that will meet the DL and DW restrictions.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Don't blow off the Avenger Plus that fast.

My wife just got one in red amber and it is a good looking bow and top quality just as you would expect from Hoyt.
It 's far from a kids bow.

·
Owner WR Custom Bowstring
1,057 Posts
Just so you know the Custom shop stops taking orders in JULY! I know this becuase my wife is on Hoyts staff, and she has a 23.5" DL. Every bow she orders has to come from the Custom shop! Be patience the Custom shop will start taking orders soon.

·
Owner WR Custom Bowstring
1,057 Posts
Just so you know the Custom shop stops taking orders in JULY! I know this becuase my wife is on Hoyts staff, and she has a 23.5" DL. Every bow she orders has to come from the Custom shop! Be patience the Custom shop will start taking orders soon.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I feel your pain as my wife shoots L/H and has 2 sierra tecs and a Selena and a 24" draw. Tried to get her a second Selena to no avail since she shoots it great. They may be coming out with something this year for short draw archers, but if not the avenger is a nice rig but we have a friend that shoots the Kobalt and loves it and she is shooting the best scores of her life with it and it's the quickest bow she's owned and her draw is only 24". Good luck.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
The Prestige only goes down to 40#. She WANTS a 30# bow. Ignition and Mustang is the ONLY bows Mathews makes that will meet the DL and DW restrictions.
40# is the MAX draw weight.

They can be turned down to 30#.

Just like the 70# can be turned down to 60#.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts