Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Blade Maker
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angry: My elk and deer season opens saturday and my bow is in pieces!! I had it ready to hunt and my Ironhead 125 heads were flying like darts. Sunday I was practicing and my cam bushing failed causing my cam to hit my limb. I replaced the bushing but the cam is canted now. I stripped the bow down again and one of the limbs seems to have a different bend than the other three!! I borrowed another XT200limb off of my buddies 3d setup and put it back together last night. Now I am getting a tail left paper tare that I can't get rid of. Any suggestions? I tried breaking the bow down and swapping limbs side to side and then end to end but no help. I have tried shafts ranging from 400spine to a stiff 340 with no difference in tear. There is now way I can adjust my rest far enough to take care of the poor tear. Could I have bent my riser? I have never had these kinds of problems so close to a hunting season. I am not going in the woods with my equipment not up to par. Anything like this happen to any of you?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
You could go out and buy 160$ PSE.
Kill some deer with it.
Put back together old bow and sell on ebay for probably a good chunk of change.

I am always tempted to go and add some stuff to my bow or get it
paper tuned and worked over but I keep thinking of my Bro-inlaw who gets deer with his PSE bottom of the line bow.

I am shooting a PSE Fireflight33 that cost almost twice as much as Toms
bow and have not gotten a deer yet!

I figure if its hitting the mark on the targets and looks good and straight
going in I will leave well enough alone.

Im not trying to knock the gear you use, Im just saying it sounds like something bad happened to that bow and instead of spending alot of money or time on it just buy a decent intro bow, kill some deer and forget about the headache of that broken bow!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Man that stinks! I feel your pain!

I had a problem one year similar to yours and since I had such a good relationship with my dealer, he took a used bow off of the rack and offered it to me to shoot just in case it did'nt get fixed in time. I started shooting it and dialing it in for several days and he called me to tell me he was able to fix it!
How far are you? How good of a relationship do you have with your dealer?
I hope that you get that thing fixed up or get a replacement, best of luck!

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Did you happen to check the axels? Roll them on a flat surface to see if they are bent.

·
Registered
768 Posts
AC,

Two things that I would check would be the axels, which were already mentioned and the other would be limb twist. I doubt it is the axles be cause you'd probably feel it in the draw or during release. To cancel out limb twist, place a straight edge along side the idler or cam if a cam & 1/2 and allow the straight edge to run paralell to the string. If the limbs have twist you will be able to see it, then either tighten or loosen one side of the split yoke to align them equally. One other thing to consider is that since the old bushing was worn, before it broke, the new bushing's thickness will place the cam in a slightly different location and most likely will require a center shot adjustment. That could be where the tail left is coming from.

Hope it helps!

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
ACLakey said:
I replaced the bushing but the cam is canted now...

.. I have tried shafts ranging from 400spine to a stiff 340 with no difference in tear. There is now way I can adjust my rest far enough to take care of the poor tear.
The cam is still leaning after you replaced your bushing???? is the bushing straight?

Are you using stock strings (which kind of yoke?)?

Is the bow timed?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
should have bougt a mathews

did you try adjusting your sight or just your rest maybe you should get rid of that hoyt and get you a mathews just kidding on a serious note i think you might want to take it to the place you bought it and see what they say good luck hope you get a big one

i shoot a mathews legacy
65lb 28 and half draw
cobra sidewinder sight
cobra dropaway rest

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
You said you borrowed one of your buddys limbs...Did you happen to look at the limb difflection numbers to make sure they were the same???

·
Blade Maker
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I work part time at the shop that I bought the bow from so I have good resorces.

You said you borrowed one of your buddys limbs...Did you happen to look at the limb difflection numbers to make sure they were the same???
The limbs are off the same model and year bow. This shouldn't be an issue.

The cam is still leaning after you replaced your bushing???? is the bushing straight?
The bushings are isntalled properly. I am using Winners choice strings and cables. It is a single cam, so no real timing issues

Two things that I would check would be the axels, which were already mentioned and the other would be limb twist. I doubt it is the axles be cause you'd probably feel it in the draw or during release. To cancel out limb twist, place a straight edge along side the idler or cam if a cam & 1/2 and allow the straight edge to run paralell to the string. If the limbs have twist you will be able to see it, then either tighten or loosen one side of the split yoke to align them equally. One other thing to consider is that since the old bushing was worn, before it broke, the new bushing's thickness will place the cam in a slightly different location and most likely will require a center shot adjustment. That could be where the tail left is coming from.
Great information. I am going to check the axle(didn't think of that). As far as limb twist I align everthing as you stated using a Spot Hogg lazer.

Thanks for the suggestions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts