Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
72#/29 1/2" draw, 29" GT Velocity XT (29"), 3" feathers, 100 and 125 tips, fletch hunter rope release.
I have set it up so draw stops touch together. Set between performance marks on cams. Bottom cam slightly delayed. No cam lean at full draw. I can get a good paper tear but in order to get bare hsafts to impact with fletched arrows the rest has to be move 1/8" from center in towards the riser.
Anyone else have a problem like this? For what it is worth, the bow will shoot fletched Beman 340 ICS hunters and XX78 2215 like a champ. I can't imagine this bow is going to need an underspined arrow...

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
72#/29 1/2" draw, 29" GT Veloxity XT (29"), 3" feathers, 100 and 125 tips, fletch hunter rope release.
I have set it up so draw stops touch together. Set between performance marks on cams. Bottom cam slightly delayed. No cam lean at full draw. I can get a good paper tear but in order to get bare hsafts to impact with fletched arrows the rest has to be move 1/8" from center in towards the riser.
Anyone else have a problem like this? For what it is worth, the bow will shoot fletched Beman 340 ICS hunters and XX78 2215 like a champ. I can't imagine this bow is going to need an underspined arrow...
Dont know man. I had a D350 that bareshaft tuned out to 40 yards. Are you sure your not over bowed with that 70# dw? Just a little off on the form and bareshafts will not hit like you want.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Your feather have a right helical to them. That'll make the arrows steer to the right. Try fletching with straight feathers.

·
Banned
17,821 Posts
Velocity 300's?

Did you set the center shot using baldyhunters method?

Maybe 28" carbon to carbon will help with any possible spine issues, as my 29/70 d350 shot 27.5" C to C velocity 300's with 100 gr. tips like a dream.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fletched arrows shoot well. I even broke a nock and ruined shaft on one of the GT .300s. Groups are running 2" at 20 yards with the GTs or the XX78s. I finally had some FMJs (.300) arrive so I might try them in hopes that the heavier shaft will make a difference.
I even printed out Ken's article on tuning the Destroyers and took it to the range as a reference. I don't have one of the software packages but my set up should be OK with .300 spine.

·
Placebo Power!
12,050 Posts
Here is my guess.... You aren't shooting that bare shaft through paper at multitude of distances are you? You are shooting the fletched shaft through paper.

If I'm right. I believe that you have a left tear tendency that the fletch is correcting so that you can't see it in paper. You need a 1/2 or 1 twist in your left side yokes and try again.

Baldy doesnt get into it in his thread but you can use his same method of yoke tuning in bareshaft and BH tuning. It is highly effective and if your spine is right (not using yokes to cheat the spine) it will yield excellent arrow flight.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try adding a twist to the left sides of the yokes

·
Premium Member
11,427 Posts
72#/29 1/2" draw, 29" GT Velocity XT (29"), 3" feathers, 100 and 125 tips, fletch hunter rope release.
uhm...i couldnt imagine my 2010 omen would need a light spined arrow either but here's the deal i learned the difficult way..via the trial and error route..as i figured high KE cams would require a stiffer shaft if anything but the real deal is that the power stroke is so smooth and efficient?..even while sick quick?..the arrow accelerates very smooth like..so very little shaft oscelation takes place..i'm shooting a 28"/60# Omen set at 54#s with 29.5 long GT5575's..(about a .400 spine)..couldnt get'em to tune..thought them too weak..bought a dozen Victory Xringer .350's and life got worse quick...then?..went back to the GT5575's..took the vanes off and replaced them with 2" rayzr feathers and replaced my 100gr combo pints w/ 125gr combo points and viola! :)

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Here is my guess.... You aren't shooting that bare shaft through paper at multitude of distances are you? You are shooting the fletched shaft through paper.

If I'm right. I believe that you have a left tear tendency that the fletch is correcting so that you can't see it in paper. You need a 1/2 or 1 twist in your left side yokes and try again.

There you go! You beat me to it LOL
Ken
Baldy doesnt get into it in his thread but you can use his same method of yoke tuning in bareshaft and BH tuning. It is highly effective and if your spine is right (not using yokes to cheat the spine) it will yield excellent arrow flight.
There you go! You beat me to it LOL
Ken

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have not shot it in five days but while looking at it I see the cams are now leaning to the right more than before. Maybe the strings have settled differently...I will have to take it to the archery club on Wednesday and do more work with the press. Bottom cam is also delayed than before as well. I didn't want to get new strings this close to the season but I am frustrated with this thing now.....looks like I will have to reset the performance marks and cam lean. I spend more time on the bow press than shooting this darn thing. That Alphaburner is looking better all the time...

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got to the club this morning before work. I was able to get the poundage back up to specs, and string now hit between timing/performance marks, with lower cam slightly behind. Center shot set. Now getting 1" left tear with Velocity XT (100 grain), FMJ (125 grain)- slightly more with FMJ. Put two twists in left side yokes and took two out of right side of yoke. Now getting perfect hole with either shaft and 100 grain tips, very slight left tear with FMJ and 125 heads. Walk back is good to 45 yards. Broadheads on Wednesday. I have 85 and 125 Thunderheds and 100 Rocky Mountins. Keeping my fingers crossed...

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Got to the club this morning before work. I was able to get the poundage back up to specs, and string now hit between timing/performance marks, with lower cam slightly behind. Center shot set. Now getting 1" left tear with Velocity XT (100 grain), FMJ (125 grain)- slightly more with FMJ. Put two twists in left side yokes and took two out of right side of yoke. Now getting perfect hole with either shaft and 100 grain tips, very slight left tear with FMJ and 125 heads. Walk back is good to 45 yards. Broadheads on Wednesday. I have 85 and 125 Thunderheds and 100 Rocky Mountins. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Nicely done!

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now the big question... If my broadheads hit to the side of the field points, can I use Yoke adjustment to fix that as well? If so how do I do that? If DH hits left do I treat that as a left or right paper tear?

·
Placebo Power!
12,050 Posts
Now the big question... If my broadheads hit to the side of the field points, can I use Yoke adjustment to fix that as well? If so how do I do that? If DH hits left do I treat that as a left or right paper tear?
Yes you can correct BH POI with the yokes. A right POI would indicate a left tear so you would twist the left yoke and untwist the right (assuming your timing is correct). If it is just a couple of inches, go a 1/2 twist at a time. I would go until I found "center" (meaning your POI went from right-to-left) and then micro adjust the rest for the final/perfect POI on BH and FP.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It must be tuned as I shot broadhead this morning. I shot 3" feathers, 2" Norway vanes, 85 Thunderheads, 125 Thunderheads and Stryker Magnum (1 1/2" cut) in various combinations. All shot well at 40 yards and all in line vertically. Only difference was that the 85 THs impacted higher than the 125 heads.

·
Placebo Power!
12,050 Posts
It must be tuned as I shot broadhead this morning. I shot 3" feathers, 2" Norway vanes, 85 Thunderheads, 125 Thunderheads and Stryker Magnum (1 1/2" cut) in various combinations. All shot well at 40 yards and all in line vertically. Only difference was that the 85 THs impacted higher than the 125 heads.
Well there ya' go! Once the bow seems to like multiple configurations of arrows you know you are very close! I'm glad you've got it figured out now. I have 3 2011 BT's and the D-350 is my favorite by far.

What town are you close to? I work in PA a lot and spent a lot of time around Altoona and Johnstown this July and August. It will only be a matter of time before i'm back in the area. I met lots of shooters locally and shot a 3d or two every weekend while I was there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts