Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have issues with Lancaster Archery (LAS) lately? I have been a long time customer and normally get great service, advice and overall experience. However, I made a switch in arrows this year and had a dozen Easton Axis made up by LAS. First dozen had 7 of 12 HIT inserts spin when tightening on a broadhead. Contacted showroom and was asked to bring them in. Drove and hour only to have them tell me they couldnt get HITs out and were afraid they would damage the arrow by trying to force it. No offer to make up new ones at the time. After a couple days I had to contact their customer service as i could not accept shoty work. They made it right (so i thought) by prepping another dozen of the same arrows. When i spoke with the gentleman concerning the issue he said he would specify that they use epoxy on the inserts this time.....not sure why they dont use epoxy all the time. Must be quicker, easier and cheaper to use a hot glue or something. Regardless, after getting the new dozen i checked everything thoroughly. This time the HIT inserts not only spun on 5 of the arrows, but 10 out of the 12 inserts were not seated to the proper depth when i checked it with the easton tool used for installation. UHG!!! They are the biggest, baddest place around for archery services so kind of stuck with them....although Thunder Ridge is closer for me. Wish they would take more pride in setting up customer orders. As I'm sure you all agree, having jacked up arrows after paying good money is really frustrating. Must make clear that their customer service folks were really helpful and eager to help resolve the issue. However, after having such avoidable issues with a simple arrow build (TWICE), i dont trust them to do it right. Big midwest trip this fall. Guess I'll be buying arrow prep equipment to do it myself. Just wanted to see if this is an isolated issue or if others have had similar experience.

·
Registered
721 Posts
What Bowman said. You'd be money and time ahead by building your own. Gives you the ability to experiment too. Then you just buy the components, and be done with it. A lot of satisfaction in building your own too.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
In their defense the HIT inserts can be finicky to get seated correctly because the supplied tool creates a suction/vacuum when removing. I modified the tool by cutting off the ridges around the post which releases the vacuum during removal. I use the modified tool to recheck the seating depth before the epoxy sets.

There is no excuse for the poor workmanship that you experienced. It is just another reason to do your own work!

NC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
Sorry for your trouble. I only use hot melt because of this issue. You can get Ethics and other inserts to use instead of the hit, many have had problems with hits. I went to the Hexx because it uses the regular type inserts. Your crooked arrows will work fine with field points for practice (I know thats not what you want to hear). Good plan to get set up with your own equipment, you can try many fletch options and fine tune shaft length for dynamic spine. Good luck

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In their defense the HIT inserts can be finicky to get seated correctly because the supplied tool creates a suction/vacuum when removing. I modified the tool by cutting off the ridges around the post which releases the vacuum during removal. I use the modified tool to recheck the seating depth before the epoxy sets.

There is no excuse for the poor workmanship that you experienced. It is just another reason to do your own work!

NC

Thanks for the tip with the HIT tool!

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
When i install HIT inserts i remove the nock . That way no air is trapped inside the shaft. And make sure you lay them on a flat surface .. Ive done 6 dozen in the past 2 years with ZERO issues..

·
Registered
207 Posts
Lancaster is great but I have problems with their inconsistency when cutting shafts. They are never the same as the last batch I ordered. Up to an eighth of an inch off and I always give them the same carbon to carbon length. I'm getting my own arrow cut-off saw!

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Lancaster is great but I have problems with their inconsistency when cutting shafts. They are never the same as the last batch I ordered. Up to an eighth of an inch off and I always give them the same carbon to carbon length. I'm getting my own arrow cut-off saw!
Me too. The person cutting shafts must of been drunk the last time I bought from them, which was about 15 years ago. Terrible. I sent them back and they sent me another dozen but have not ordered since. They have also greatly changed all the options you used to get ordering arrows. I think everything is just factory fletched now.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Thanks for the tip with the HIT tool!
You're very welcome!

I know somebody mentioned removing the nock. I have experimented with this technique and the HIT insert with epoxy still forms a tight seal which causes a vacuum to form when the tool is removed. My method of modifying a tool for seating depth checks works 100% of the time, everytime.

NC

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It appears there are way too many newbies working there. A few of the experienced guys are left but you never know who you're going to get when you walk in the door. Anyone have a great shop to recommend? I dont mind driving a couple hours for a quality pro shop....I live in SE PA (about an hour east of Lancaster).

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the company anymore. They're made some alarming mistakes with a few recent purchases I made. I'll think twice before giving them more business.

·
Registered
49,537 Posts

NC

Simply take the nock out. Set the insert, let it set up reinstall the nock. No vacuum that way.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Building your own is the way to go! Larger initial investment, but will save you money in the long run. There are four in my family that all shoot competitively and I have made all of our arrows with no issues. Also, be sure to use some rubbing alcohol and Q-tips to clean out the shafts before you glue your inserts in. I have seen them not adhere well because of dust from cutting the arrows.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I never have problems with them. They cut my arrows i do the rest. I could not imagine Not having my own arrow building tools and bow press. Only reason i let someone cut mine is, i’d use the saw once in a blue moon if i bought one.
What is a Hit? I use standard GT hunters, standard inserts. Clean everything with denature alcohol, gorilla super glue, move on .

1 - 20 of 54 Posts