Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am moving to the Ft Huachuca area this summer. After looking at the AZGFD site to figure out what I need to do to hunt, I am a bit dumbfounded. I want to bow hunt all the big game that I can throughout the state, and gun hunt whatever is simple to do nearby.

Anyone out there that wouldn't mind talking me through what dates, tags, etc. I need to meet and buy? Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
418 Posts
Matt,

You just missed the big game draw for elk and antelope. Archery tags for elk and antelope are hard to pull...unless you don't mind a late November hunt. The deer draw is in June, but most of the state is over the counter for antlered deer (you can shoot one per year) and there are seasons in late August-early September, late December, and all of January. Archery Javelina season is in January as well and there are some over the counter archery bear hunts in So. AZ and mt. lion is year round over the counter gun or bow pretty much statewide. There is also an over the counter archery turkey season that is late (mid May?) in some units up north. If Sierra Vista doesn't have a good archery shop ( I think I heard they went under but I could be wrong) check out Bull Basin in Tucson when you get settled.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks A_W. One deer per year? Can't be! So much for filling my freezers an continuing to hunt. I don't see much antlerless deer hunting. Don't you guys need to manage the herd like we do back east? I suppose not. Thanks for the shop tip. What part of town are they in?
Matt

·
Registered
418 Posts
No, we don't need to thin the herds down here...drought and predators (coyotes/lions) do a pretty good job of doing that. Hunting the desert is a challenge...you should enjoy it. Bull Basin is near the air force base on Craycroft and about 29th St. This is the link to the local archery club: http://www.huachuca-archers.com/ and here is the one for the Tucson club: http://www.desertarchers.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts