Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you hunters out there could give me some advice on which arrow I should go with for hunting. I was looking at either the Easton Full Metal Jacket or the Gold Tip Pro Hunter. Mostly Hunting Mule Deer and Elk. I think im leaning towards the Full Metal Jackets because they seem as though they will be a heavier arrow. I found them both on sale at http://www.carbonarrowsuperstore.com for a great deal with the 10% coupon code. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Can you give us some information regarding your draw weight and arrow length? I have not shot the FMJ's, however I have had great success with the Prohunters in both 5575 and 7595 for deer and elk.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My buddy who shots for Hoyt had shot them FMJ and said its alum on the outside with Carbon on the inside and he said he shot a set target shooting them about a doz time and then went out to hunt deer and started to guy shot them and hitting high and low and when he got home and rolled them on the table they were bent!? he said he will never use them ever again. he also said that easton makes a "FMJ" that is built to last and are way better then the actual "FMJ"

·
Banned
4,049 Posts
i always thought a fmj was a fmj. i have beat the living hell out of them and they will always be my hunting arrow. anytime you can get a passthrough on several 300+ lb wild boars and they hit rock and still are fine. then that will always be my hunting arrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I shoot a bow madness with 68# draw weight. 28.5 inch draw length I was looking at probably the 400 in the fmj or the 5575 in the pro's. But open to suggestions.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
I'd get the gold tip XT and save a few bucks. the pro hunters are the same arrow, just a little bit straighter batch. you can improve the straightness of an arrow when you cut it down. cut equal lengths off each end and that will give you a straighter arrow vs cutting off just at one end. I guarantee if you cut the XT off at each end and shoot it, you will not notice any difference at all in shooting from the pro hunter.

·
I'm nicer than I appear
8,008 Posts
FMJ arrows are a good arrow....but they WILL bend! Been there done that.

If your wanting a heavy arrow for kinetic energy, GoldTip offers the Big Game arrow at 10.6 gpi, the 7595 camo at 10.2, or the Top Dog of the lineup...the new Kinetic 200 Big Game at a whopping 11.6 gpi!!! Compared to a 5575 Prohunter that weighs 8.2 gpi, you got alot of choices and the toughest arrow in the business.

Oh yeah, and they don't bend.

Good luck with your decision!!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
My buddy who shots for Hoyt had shot them FMJ and said its alum on the outside with Carbon on the inside and he said he shot a set target shooting them about a doz time and then went out to hunt deer and started to guy shot them and hitting high and low and when he got home and rolled them on the table they were bent!? he said he will never use them ever again. he also said that easton makes a "FMJ" that is built to last and are way better then the actual "FMJ"
same reason i quit shooting acc's years ago for hunting. now the only aluminum that goes in the woods with me looks like a bow riser or a flashlight.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Love my FMJs...but shot GT for 5 years. Can't go wrong with either

1 - 12 of 12 Posts