Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Givin that the full moon is NOV 9th,Would you rather hunt the week before,during,or after in Central Illinios??And how do you think it will effect the RUT??:confused:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Full moon

I will be in Pike County the Oct 25-Nov1. Personally, I don't like a full moon and would rather hunt a quarter moon...but any day hunting is a good day, so I just go when I can. Sometimes when hunting a full moon during late pre-rut, I might not hunt early morning and wait until around 10 am. and hunt midday & may stay until dark...depends on how my back holds up after sitting in a stand 5-6 hours.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've always heard that the week after the first full moon of November is PRIME TIME for the rut. Now if you are a pre-rut hunter like me, you would go the week before. If you like the rut and can hunt all day on heavy doe trails, hunt the week after.

I HATE THE FULL MOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What stage do most of you think the rut will be the 1st week of Nov??

·
Registered
859 Posts
Success depends more on temperature.

Warm = little movement during day.

Cold = much more activity.

·
Bonehunter
8,843 Posts
I will be in Illinois Nov. 2 - 9. I planned on the bucks being in "heavy prerut". Let's hope I guessed right!!! Good luck

PS: I have always had terrible luck during the full moon - rut or not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
FIRST QUARTER

I have had the best luck between Oct. 26 to Nov. 6 if the weather allows it. especially during cool weather. The rutting moon's timing comes within a day or two of repeating itself every three to four years. In the north doe's estrogen levelpeaks around Nov. 1st as does the buck's sperm count. and that's north of the 35th latitude. RUT SUPPRESSORS: Air temps above 59 in the north and Sex Ratios: High adult-doe-to-antlered buck ratios decease activity. Human Pressure: Is the Mother of all rut suppressors....

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well since I live in Illinois and work 3rd shift I think I will hunt atleast every evening in november!!:D :D
That said I will be on vacation from nov. 7th thru the 16th. That seems to be the time I see more of the top end bucks up and on thier feet. Nov. 5th has been a day I have killed severel bucks but most were not on the top end of our scale here in my part of the state.

I am going to test a theory the Drury brothers swear by this year about the moon. They love a rising moon during the evening hours while hunting a food source. You know them nights were the moon is up and shining bright about an hour before dark. That will be the last of october and first day or two of november this year. They also love a moon that is still up in the morning and is setting while you are hunting. This should be nov. 9th and last for 4 or 5 days with the moon setting on the 13th at 11:55 am. They say the moon setting late in the morning keeps the bucks up a little later looking for does and it hits at a really good time during the rut this year.

So I will be setting in the middle of a 32 acre 2 year old selective timber cut thicket just waiting on that big buck to come checking for does!!:D :D

Man I got to go rub my head on the bed post and pee in the corner of the bed room I'm getting fired up about the rut!!:)

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I've always had very good luck during full moon. And as Antler said, mostly in the late moring and afternoon hunts.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
huntinmup, I've never heard that a bucks sperm count changes during the rut but who am I to question that!

Either way, I'd hunt the 10-15th of November if that was the only week I could hunt.

Jon

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like the first week of Nov.might be favored slightly.Wish there was some way to know for sure.With my luck,no matter when I go,I should have been there yesterday.:( :confused:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea Kildog,What I should do is hunt about three weeks straight,but if I did it would throw the rut off by a month.:D :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hanging stands in Illinios this weekend.I'm startin' to feel it.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
The moon does NOT effect the rut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does the moon effect you and your lady? Nooooooo Then give me a darn good reason it will for bambi!
The rut has to happen when it does and the moon cant stop it!
Wait there is no moon, right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
full moon

if you don't think the moon has anything to do with the rut or whitetails in general like feeding times and breeding times then you don't know jack***** about the whitetails you hunt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts