Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My club will be having our end of league cook out and fun shoot. We are looking for ideas. We have a 14 target field range as well as a full set of 3-d's. We are looking for something that everyone (beginners and experienced shooters) will have an equal chance at winning. We have many hands to make set-up and take-down easy, but want to focus on socializing so the program should not be too complicated. Can ya help us out???

·
Registered
599 Posts
this isnt really a shoot but its a fun thing to do, go to a local store and buy a 3-d target(preferably a deer). put out a stake at like 99 yards and one at about 70. have the adults shoot from 99 and youth from 70. charge $2 a shot and you will easily pay for the target and your club will make loads of money. o ya you put a golf tee in the 12 ring and closest wins the target.

·
Registered
252 Posts
There are alot of things you could try. If you have some sort of natural backstop you could make up a running deer target with cable and rollers. If you have some recurves to use you could fletch up a bunch of cheap shafts with flu-flus and toss round foam targets into the air to shot at. If you have a indoor range you can play archery poker (shoot 5 arrows to make your hand). If you have a long slope you can put a target inside a tire and roll past the shooters using flu-flu arrows and recurves. For your outdoor targets you could do a "smoker round" where everybody shoots the course with only 1 arrow. For the kids get some youth bows and put a bunch of balloons on a large backstop target and let them pop the balloons, some with candy or money inside. Hope this helps. Good luck and God bless. :)

·
Martin Pro Staff
1,804 Posts
Speed Shoot

We had this fun competition once at a range. We took 5 small McKenzie targets, the racoon, bobcat, etc. We set all 5 up at a range of about 18 to 23 yards. While standing at one stake, a shooter shot one arrow at each target. A person kept the time with a stop watch which started with the release of the first arrow and ended with the release of the last 5th arrow. Highest score wins. In the event of a tie, the fasted time wins. Entry fee was $3 to $5. Have fun.

Clay

·
Registered
685 Posts
Set up a steel deer or bear and shoot at that, its basically a flat steel (or whatever hard metal) silhoutte of a deer with a foam 10 ring. Charge 3 bucks to enter, each shooter gets one and only one arrow for the duration of the contest. Start at 20 yrds with everyone shooting at the foam 10 ring, if you miss your arrow gets all messed up and your out, if you hit you move on to the next round. Keep moving further and further back by increments of 5 or 10 yrds until only one shooter is left, he wins the pot. Its a real crowd pleaser watching people destroy arrows!!!! Plus if you get enough people involved the winnings become quite substantial.

DeadNutsAA

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
The steel deer (A.K.A.- BIONIC DEER) was always a cool idea for a shoot.

I also went to a shoot that had a big stack of hay bales, about 60 yards away, set up with a tarp over them. On this tarp they had a tic tac toe board spray painted on it. Two shooters, at 2 dollars apiece, play against each other, til one wins.

Another one that they had was a hay bale backstop at 30 yards. In front of it was a shop vac, set to blow out instead of suck in, with a flourescent orange ping pong ball, floating in the air currents while you tried to shoot it. It was a dollar a shot, and if you hit it, you'd win a small prize.(set of vanes, nocks, string silencers, etc.)

Have fun with it..........JP

·
Registered
969 Posts
we have done that at my club also. But when you hit the ping pong ball you had to nail it to the target behind it. The hardest part is finding the damn thing in and .1 dia scope.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
here's an idea that is about as old as i am, and hasnt been mentioned yet.

an 'owl shoot'. you shoot a regular course field or hunter targets, at night. the target illumination comes from the flashing markers they use on highway barrels (schneider eggs). the groups are led by a 'score keeper' who is the only one allowed to have a flashlight. he is the course guide, score keeper and source of light at the yardage markers.

try it, its rather interesting. make sure you have plenty of arrows too.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
There was a thread on this a while back. Do a search on novelty shoots. It had a lot of good ideas and links.

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Something I've thought about but have been too 'chicken' to bring up.

Golfers have best ball tournaments, right?

So.... why not 2-man best arrow tournaments? Beginning shooter and advanced shooter. Both team members shoot their 4 arrows and score the highest four arrows? Or maybe each shooter shoots only 2 arrows per target and score what the two come up with for their 4 shots?

Or - first shooter shoots his arrow, if he/she shoots a five, then the other shooter can try to beat it (by shooting an X) or he/she can pass. If second shooter fails, then that is the score for that arrow. etc etc until 4 arrows are up for score.

Or each shooter on teach two man team shoots against a shooter on the other team and they don't count total score, they count up how many targets each wins or splits?

Lotsa options, and needs tweaking, but I think there are some possibilities for this, even at the pro level.

One thing that has been successful in 3-D group shooting is the scalp game. The person that shoots the highest score on a 3-D target (including scoring 12-ring hits) gets the scalp and keeps it until he gets beat on a target, then when beaten, he gives the 'scalp' to the person that wins that target. IF there is a tie on the target, the person with the scalp (if they are one of the high scorers) keeps the scalp unless the other person has a 12 ringer.

They key here is that the person who has the scalp in their possession at the end of the last scoring target receives lunch and a drink, coutesy of the other 3 shooters in the group with them. Catch here is that those other 3 shooters get to pick the 'condiments' that are on that hot dog or burger and fries, or whatever. Loads of fun and we always whoop it up during the round. So, whomever has the scalp the mostest is NOT the winner of the dinner - - the LAST target is the one that brings home the bacon (Pun intended), haha.

field14:D :confused:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the ideas. I will print the thread so the powers that be can make a decision.
I will also run the search for novelty shoots. I forget that we have that function.
Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated. I have a few days yet to collect them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
how about......

Folks,

how about the "shot of Odysseus"?

Man, I'm really going to try that once..........and the best thing is: It's got something about Greek mythodology to it!

·
Registered
426 Posts
have a V shoot at what ever distance you like rules are easy

or a 3d shoot nearest to the centere gets to chose the distance on the next 3d target or buy fluro stickers and place them anywhere on the 3d animal

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
We used to play a modified version of battleship that was really fun and allowed even the most inexperienced shooters to win. Make a grid of squares to shoot at with as many squares as you want. Each shooter chooses three adjoining squares anywhere on the grid. You will need someone to keep track of the selected squares and call out hit or miss. (Only this person is allowed to see where the battleships are located.) Each contestant shoots one arrow at a time, in rotation, and the person in charge calls out hit or miss. When a hit is made, a sticker is placed on the square that scored a hit. The last battleship to be sunk wins.

Although skill is required to hit a particular square, it is just luck that decides which ship lasts and makes it to the end. To make it more fun, you could charge $2.00 per shooter and the winner gets the pot.

Automan

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Shoot a hunter round. Scoring is 5 for everything inside the 8 & 10 ring. -3 for a wound and 0 for a miss. Everyone gets to take a turn picking where to shoot from. Just be mindful of the safety aspect.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
At our range, we have tried to come up with a lot of novelties so that people are not bored while they hang around and wait. Of course, our Pop Out targets are the most popular, but the most difficult is the running rabbit. We have a few dirt piles so, we set up a "trough" that is propped against a tree and a person climbs a ladder and drops the clay targets (like Skeets) and lets them roll down the trough. The shooter is standing on a stand and takes a shot. It is $1 for 3 shot and a 50% cash payback. So far the rabbit has been the winner.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Fun Shoots

I was at a 3-D one time that had you shooting off bed springs covered with a piece of ply wood through a section of woven wire fence at a racoon or similiar size target. Also had a black bear standing upright with steel dogs holding it at bay, if you hit a dog it was -10 points. Many good ideas all ready. The sky is the limit with your imagination.
Carroll

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts