Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my father was tinkering around pondering broadhead selection for a couple different upcoming hunts in MI and Hawaii (he was resigned to the fact that cut on contact heads were the right choice but entertained himself anyway.) He threw in the Chinadermic just for fun since its the AT head of choice for many and Slick Tricks because he knows I like them.

·
Registered
17,335 Posts
So slick tricks are as good as the China rage!! (In this test)

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems so. :wink:

I don't think this was a test. It would be an insult to all the actual tests ever done. Perhaps it was an evaluation.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Interesting, I understand why some guys like the cut on contact heads so much
But i was worried you would would slip and we would have a very painfull penetration test

·
Registered
18,419 Posts
Add some velocity to the test and results will change drastically...of course the sharpest tip will punch through easier but it is not the only aspect of cutting something...edge,pressure and velocity all play a role...lightly drag a butter knife across paper and of course it won’t cut but add a little speed and pressure and it cuts clean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This was not just a tip only evaluation. It was a Whole head "blades and all" sort of a thing. Certainly, as speed increases and momentum drives through and the effort to pass through would change (perhaps in the same differences shown at slow speeds) Blade angle and blade deployment for mech heads uses up effort. Cut on contact heads requiring the lease amount of effort.

This and other reasons is why he is using the Woodsman for very large game like Hawaiian bulls a Russian boar. He has killed deer with all the heads shown (except of the china dermic, he used real rages for those kills)

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
That looked dangerous, one slip and fall over the broadhead ad stab one self.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
That method of testing has very little value and has long been debunked as fairly useless to a bowhunter trying to judge broadhead effectiveness.
BUT... there is no arguing that a cut on contact, tapered head design will require less energy to do the same job.

You should have just asked me which would do best... your dad could've skipped the daredevil routine. ;)

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That method of testing has very little value and has long been debunked as fairly useless to a bowhunter trying to judge broadhead effectiveness.
BUT... there is no arguing that a cut on contact, tapered head design will require less energy to do the same job.

You should have just asked me which would do best... your dad could've skipped the daredevil routine. ;)
I dont think it was a test and he did say at the end of the video what it proved. I didnt ask him to do the evaluation or which would perform better or to make the video. Last week and the week before were terrible cold here so he was goofing off in the warmth of the shop in preparation of his boar and bull hunts. I dont think he meant it to be definitive proof of anything (in fact he even said it wasnt).

Frankly I'm supersized nobody has brought up the spelling error in the beginning of the video.

·
Registered
753 Posts
We see thread after thread and post after post of your banned father, partner and best friend on here. Do you ever partake in actual hunting, working on products or hobbies of your own? I'm not bashing and is a serious question. I don't think I've ever saw one thing about yourself other than you are "Jake". I think you'd get more respect if you actually were part of something other than the lip service relaying your father's thoughts and conquests.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This looks far riskier and could have resulted in sliced hands for that guy. The person in the video even says, “don’t try this at home”

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,164 Posts

·
The Impartial Archer
18,789 Posts
Thanks for that! I always tell folks if you look at a head you can see how much more force it will take to push different heads through the hide but I didn't think it would be that much different.........dang. I think you are going to need a bigger scale............lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts