Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me? I will be attending my 19 yr old cousin's funeral. He was an avid and skilled competition archer in France and won many accuracy contests. He died tragically this week when struck by a train. Is there any special tradition or gesture I can offer at his memorial mass to honor him as an archer?

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,186 Posts
Sorry to hear, but at a funeral I’d think want to keep everything fairly modest and respectful, not sure of the background but St Sebastian is the Christian Patron Saint for archers if that is of help, can look into that for references or direction to speak of? Again sorry and good luck!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Sorry to hear. If they are displaying pictures at memorial then I would ask about displaying his bow & pic of him doing what he loved. Shooting a bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I assume it will be a Catholic funeral Mass. If so, keep in mind that the Church discourages eulogies or commentary on a the deceaseds' life during the Mass proper.
There are several logical reasons for this, among them to keep the focus on prayer for God's Mercy toward the repose of his soul, by the congregation.
(Although many priests take liberties to do this during the Homily (sermon) especially if they really know the family well.)

If there is a wake or visitation with the family the day before, that is where and when such memorials should be acknowledged, not during the Mass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all these suggestions.
I was looking for a symbol of his favorite pastime/sport. I have heard something about a broken arrow ritual...

·
Premium Member
4,970 Posts
At my memorial, there will be a pic of me and a kill.... likely a hog since I've never scored a P&Y deer.

But then I'm not Catholic. And there's not much hunting allowed in France. Sorry not to be able to help. Sorry about your friend.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
We had a fellow archer pass away and we each took one of our arrows and wrote a small message on one of the vanes. These were taken to the local florist who made an arrangement with the arrows and flowers. You might do something similar. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
We had a fellow archer pass away and we each took one of our arrows and wrote a small message on one of the vanes. These were taken to the local florist who made an arrangement with the arrows and flowers. You might do something similar. Sorry for your loss.
Good gesture^^^

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like that idea. I will ask his brother if that's okay. Maybe on top of the casket. And maybe an arrow. But a great idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the ideas, archer community. Really appreciated. I ended up writing a poem for his eulogy and will buy an arrow once in France to have at his burial (yes, the Catholic mass won't allow, but burial graveside is ok).

He was killed when heading home from Paris for the Christmas holiday. Terrible accident. An energetic, edgy, artistic kinduv a kid who never stopped moving and loved loud, hard rock music. He was in his first year of college studies, just beginning to live...
Please keep him in your prayers on Friday, his funeral date. He was 19.

For Wyatt
Forever in our Hearts

Heaven's gift, now heaven destined
An arrow chosen from a quiver
Selected
Transformed
Poised and vibrating on the rest
Dancing in anticipation
Tight and ready at full draw
Impatient against the bowstring
Hearing distant tempos of dreams and discovery
Sensing, knowing the destination
Seeing the path
Then oh so
Still
And quiet in release
A prayer off the lips
Flight
Freedom
A powerful arc
Racing
Soaring
Straight and true
Frozen forever in the trajectory
And outstretched toward the welcome
Bound for Home

·
Registered
446 Posts
Can anyone help me? I will be attending my 19 yr old cousin's funeral. He was an avid and skilled competition archer in France and won many accuracy contests. He died tragically this week when struck by a train. Is there any special tradition or gesture I can offer at his memorial mass to honor him as an archer?
A young man that worked at my local bow shop passed away and we had the florist incorporate one of each of our arrows in the flower arrangement. It turned out nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Love the poetry and I’m sure he does as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts