Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Service call of the month from Baltimore Electric residential customer ..

BGE received a call from a customer saying: "My power is out. When you come to fix it be sure to bring a truck with a tall enough bucket to remove the deer."

The customer service rep prudently trying to gather helpful information to help diagnose the problem asked, "What deer?"

The customer replied "There is a deer on top of one of the electric poles on Wilkes Rd about 1/2 mile west of perimeter Rd."

The customer service rep tried desperately to pull herself together and not laugh in front of the customer and replied "We'll dispatch someone right away to investigate the power outage. Thank you for the call."

Upon completion of the call, the customer service rep proceeded to share the funny story with her coworkers in the office and they all had a good laugh.

Well, low and behold, the serviceman who repaired the problem stopped by the customer service office the following day with these pictures

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Sure enough, the deer had been hit by a train
& landed on top of a distribution feeder pole!
Unbelievable!!!!!

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Nope. Eagle Biologists collect road-killed deer and then place them on transmission lines, frozen resevoirs, etc . . . any place that eagles or other raptors congregate.

Notice how the hocks of the deer where both cut perfectly, like it had been hanging somewhere. Also, the deer is a yearling . . . easier to lift onto the wires. This happens in various places accross the country. I worked with the NYS DEC and have been involved with projects like this.

Of course, this only occurs on inactive power lines, or phone or cable towers.

Now you know where your hunting license fees go. ;)

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Melagris you are partially right and partially wrong

the Raptor society do collect Road kill and do place them in selective spots but they do not
hang them from power lines they build their own towers to condict their studies.

these pics have circulated for a couple of years now

where did you hear this from?

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
From another USFWS biologist I have worked with who studies eagles throughout out the midwest. I don't know the specifics as to what agency placed the deer there in this particular case though. May have been private or public, or both.

When I worked for the DEC, we did a number of projects like this. Power lines were one logical choice because we didn't have to spend alot of $ to build towers.

I didn't say anything about the Raptor society. I have no idea what their projects are. I am talking about the US Fish and Wildlife Service and the State Wildlife Agencies.

What was I partially wrong about?

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Will whatever, very interesting post I might add JP>Later

·
Extreme Opinionated One
43,677 Posts
I doubt the deer in the photo is across live wires at all and I think the call to BGE is a urban legend at best.

Has to be across dead wires. Stringing dead deer across live wires is not very condusive to a long and happy life for the employees who would do it in the first place. Also shorting out a grid like that can't be good for a research places liability insurance rates from all the lawsuits from the companies who are going to sue you for loss of business from their downtime.

I dont like the train theory either because that deer would've been alot more messed up than it is if it got hit by a train. Have you ever seen one that got nailed by a 18 wheeler? It's more like hamburger with a bloody spot on the road then a whole deer. Also I've never seen anything throw a deer up in the air like that. Out away from the road yes but never up.

But overall it still is a interesting picture.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Never mind Mel

I forgot you are always right :rolleyes:

·
Registered
829 Posts
deer

hey the deer was out on the town had a few to many and just got his wires crossed we have all been there;)

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Stringing dead deer across live wires is not very condusive to a long and happy life for the employees who would do it in the first place.
LOL, You got that right! Not to good for the eagles either. Unfortunately, in addition to eating on these towers, they like to build nests on them also, which leads to quite a few of them being electricuted.

Coincidentally, alot of eagles are killed each year because they get hit by high speed trains while feeding on train killed deer carcasses. Placing the deer on the towers does help save alot of them that might get killed if the deer were laying closer to the tracks.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Santa

Are you sure it isn't one of Santa's rain deer that got away and rained down to earth????
:D ;) :D

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Hey Punchy what do you think..

...this doesn't look like any of BGE's coverage area either. It's to flat for Baltimore and Metro area. Heck it's even to flat for the Eastern Sore, I mean Shore....:)

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
seems like simple physics would tell you that there is no way a train would throw a deer that far/high. and if the train did hit it that hard it would just be a blood spot on the tracks. that deer is pretty much intact. i dont buy the train theory. easton94

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I've seen these pictures before and the claim was that there was a deep snowbank near the lines. The deer tried to jump the wires from the top, landed on them and got zapped. The dead deer froze and was found after the thaw.

If you look at the condition it looks like it's been there a while.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Maybe the deer was hit by a plane on a runway, and got caught in the landing gear. When the deer finally fell free, it landed on the powerline pole. :D

·
NC ASA Director
35,919 Posts
Where is the railroad tracks?:confused:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts