Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I seem to be the king of controversial threads, here goes another one.

Given that you can hit a 4" target everytime at that distance and deer is very calm and feeding. Would you take a 60-70yd shot with a 60# bow with ibo 325 & 28"draw that has a CoC head with an arrow around 400grains?

Yes or No and why?:cocktail:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Loaded question because I have yet to see anyone that can hit a 4" target at 60-70 yds with CoC BH every shot. My answer is no, because the odds of the deer being in the same position as when I released the arrow is slim. Will the arrow kill the deer at that distance, absolutely. How many times will it result in a poor hit, more times than not.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
No, that is a low percentage shot, lots of things can happen. 40 yards would be my max for any Bow.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Loaded question because I have yet to see anyone that can hit a 4" target at 60-70 yds with CoC BH every shot. My answer is no, because the odds of the deer being in the same position as when I released the arrow is slim. Will the arrow kill the deer at that distance, absolutely. How many times will it result in a poor hit, more times than not.
Agree, 100 % . Of course you are going to get the guys that can hit a 4 inch circle at 100 yards every time(just ask them) saying its a chip shot. But the animal can and most likely will move and so many "perfect shots" at 20 yards that are wounded, can't find, found days later are posted here already. At 60-70 yards it would be very difficult to see where the arrow hit, missed. Let alone trying to find the arrow after the shot. They make guns, if you don't want to get close. 60-70 yards would be a comfortable black powder distance. I know same guys will post they can shot 200 yards with a black powder.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3 for 3 so far of dont even think about it.
Where are the guys who say this is a chip shot and they would take it. :wink:

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Since your question very closely resembles my hunting set up I'm gonna say 40 period I can shoot accurately alot further than that but not at a live animal way to many variables that can come into play

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
I shot my grizzly and Cape buffalo (46 and 25 yards) with COC heads but my arrows were significantly heavier than yours.

"What you do in life echoes in eternity"

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I would say the bow and arrow are plenty capable. But usually the Indian is not.:wink:

·
Vendor
25,429 Posts
Since I seem to be the king of controversial threads, here goes another one.

Given that you can hit a 4" target everytime at that distance and deer is very calm and feeding. Would you take a 60-70yd shot with a 60# bow with ibo 325 & 28"draw that has a CoC head with an arrow around 400grains?

Yes or No and why?:cocktail:
Absolutely not with a bow. If everything is right and the deer is calm and feeding, practice bowhunting skills. Stalk or call the deer into range. That is why I like the challenge of bow hunting. If I want a shot over 30 yards I'll just get a gun.:wink:

·
Mountaineer
1,709 Posts
How bout the guy from Western Extreme?
Jim Burnworth makes a lot of awesome long range shots but I think his skills are far beyond what the average bowhunter's are. I really enjoy watchin his show.

·
8,290 Posts
no on a whitetail i wont shoot over 40 again.

i happen to have a 53yd kill on a whitetail. it was a quick clean kill but i also happen to hit where i was not aiming. with that kill i learned my lesson, i got off cheap. it could have easily turned out with wounded deer.

i was shooting 60lbs 460gr arrow COC magnus buzzcut going around 260fps. i thought the deer was calm. she ducked and lunged back, i hit her right in the spine and jugular in the neck and she dropped like a sack of potatoes. she could have just as easily lunged forward and God knows where i would have hit then.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Nope!!!!! Wouldnt even consider it!!! Thats just crazy.
Maybe there are some out there that CAN do it, but this guy.....???? Never!
30 max with my Elite, and thats pushing it for me.

·
Registered
24,090 Posts
I very much agree. Just because I practice at longer distances during the summer months when it is warm and I have ideal circumstances in the backyard does not mean I can pull off the same shot on demand at a live game animal that can......and will move on a whim. It doesn't even have to be you or your arrow as the cause, but whatever prompts a game animal to move or turn or twist or duck or whatever......and then you have trouble on your hands. Think of it this way......many NBA players can shoot 3 pointers in practice, so why do they try for lay-ups and slam dunks in a game????? Hmmmm......:set1_thinking::set1_thinking:

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No. Regardless of how skilled the archer there are too many things that could go wrong after the arrow has left the bow.
Lets add a twist to the scenario.

The bow is now at 420fps and shooting the same 400gn arrow . Does that change any one minds?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts