Registered
12,884 Posts
Thanks JAVI

:cocktail:

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Therein lies the problem.

"Specs" for the bow builders vary...but the norm, as far as I've heard for years is plus or minus 1/2"...and sometimes even more. Occasionally, a string or cable can be 1" or more off too...and then they can even mess up the spec sheet and end up with the wrong cam sizing as well.

So, what is printed on the limb tag is normally what is SUPPOSED to be on the bow...but most of the time....that is NOT what is really there.

Over the years, my brothers and I have come up with a means to measure what length we need to make or order without tearing the bow down....if the string/cable is CLOSE to spec, then we go with specified lengths and strands.

There is no NEED to remove the string and cable and tear down the bow in order to make up a harness for it...you either go with spec, or you measure it up while on the bow...it CAN BE DONE ACCURATELY...remember, those strings and cables are ALREADY under an enormous load once they are on the bow!

The key is getting not only the lengths and strands correct, but also the other "details" built properly too....

field14

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
field14 said:
Over the years, my brothers and I have come up with a means to measure what length we need to make or order without tearing the bow down....if the string/cable is CLOSE to spec, then we go with specified lengths and strands.

There is no NEED to remove the string and cable and tear down the bow in order to make up a harness for it...you either go with spec, or you measure it up while on the bow...it CAN BE DONE ACCURATELY...remember, those strings and cables are ALREADY under an enormous load once they are on the bow!

The key is getting not only the lengths and strands correct, but also the other "details" built properly too....

field14
Care to share the details of your methods?

Thanks,
Byron :)

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Byron said:
Care to share the details of your methods?

Thanks,
Byron :)
Byron,
Absolutely.....these and other "methods" I've either come up with myself or from experiences with other people over the years will be appearing in a series of articles I've written for Archery Focus magazine.

"Setup documention", "How to Measure up for a Custom Built String and Cable set, and "More Detailed Measuring Information For a Near Perfect Match" to your existing string/cable set are all forthcoming in the magazine over the next 3 issues. Also included are puzzles dealing with Barebow and terminology, Review of Volume 10, #2, and a puzzle yet to be determined.

Of course, many other articles are contained in the pages of Archery Focus magazine...written by persons such as Roger Wheaton, Steve Ruis, Lanny Basham, and others too numerous to mention.

field14:cocktail: :darkbeer:

·
Registered
725 Posts
The only problem I have with AMO Spec's is when you have a manufacture use AMO standard measuring for there string lengths. Then you have before twist and after twist string lengths. We should really be using exact string lengths given by the engineers who designed the bows. I used to hate taking a string spec off a bow and then find out it was before twist, you end up coming up to long.

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
bobbyg said:
The only problem I have with AMO Spec's is when you have a manufacture use AMO standard measuring for there string lengths. Then you have before twist and after twist string lengths. We should really be using exact string lengths given by the engineers who designed the bows. I used to hate taking a string spec off a bow and then find out it was before twist, you end up coming up to long.
Better too long than too short! Remember, the string SHOULD have 10 to 15 or more twists in it anyways....Personally, I don't even like having a string with less than 15 twists in it. There are limits how many twists are put into the string, but it is somewheres upwards of around 30 or 40, or maybe even more than that. I don't like more than about 25.

field14:cocktail: :darkbeer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts