Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been having any trouble with Halon 6 pushing open G nocks? The spec are as follows. 27" draw. 74# 27" Easton carbon injexion arrows. The bow is an absolute tack driver. Tuned up easily. Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I had this issue early on but not with a Matthews. It has been a couple of years but if you have older G's then there is an upgraded version that stopped this from happening too me.
I apologize it's been so long for me I don't remember the specifics but seems the original nocks weren't strong enough for some speed bows at least thats the line I was fed and digested. I don't know how fast is fast enough to make that happen and, Anyway ordered replacements and no more problems

·
Registered
20,597 Posts
How's the nock fit on the string? If it's too tight, that could cause it.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
How's the nock fit on the string? If it's too tight, that could cause it.
My assessment, too. I've shot G-nocks from many bows over the last 20 years or so and never had an issue with them. The only thing that can spread the ears on the nock is the serving being too large in diameter. Measure it and see. Total diameter should be about .112" for a nock with .098" throat. .120" should be maximum.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yep, G nocks come in small and large throat. Wonder if you have the small?
• Available in two throat sizes
.088" small groove
.098" large groove

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I figured out the problem. Easton has a deep six specific nock. A little larger diameter not as deep in the throat. More material to the side of the split.

·
Socket Man
24,235 Posts
I use the deep six nocks in my x cutters and hunting arrows and I love them, they have way less plastic and are much more solid. I think the lack of plastic causes them to have much less flex when the bow fires.

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
I could be wrong but I think Easton recommends that you don't use g nocks on bows that ibo over a certain speed.

·
Socket Man
24,235 Posts
My first experience with g-nocks was with a destroyer 350 and I had it shooting right at 345 fps and they held up great, there may be a limit but I don't know of one. I do know for me right now I have never had one of the deep six nocks fail or change for the life of the arrow, I install them when the arrows are new and they last until I break or loose the arrow. The only time I have to replace them is when I get hit dead on and it gets broken.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm currently having the same issue. Shot g nocks all last year with no problem. Nwe string and they open up after 10+ shots. Planning to check the serving size tomorrow and I also have deep six nocks on the way. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
When I got my Experience a couple years back, I couldn't use g nocks and several others because they would get loose or break on release. I switched to Beiter nocks and that's all I use now.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
+1, 2, 3 on the deep 6 nocks. Went through 2 dozen of standard G nocks in both sizes with same result. Switched to Deep Six G's and problem went away.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
I haven't had any issues with beiter g nocks. I would double check nock to string fit. I ran g nocks on a cpx with no issues

·
Banned
841 Posts
There are or were 2 sizes of g nocks, a bigger notch for compounds at .098 and a slightly smaller notch for recurves using fewer strands on the string,.088 I believe?. Another problem could be the use of the thickest center serving. Center serve comes in 3 -4 -5 different sizes from really thin to surprisingly thick.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My assessment, too. I've shot G-nocks from many bows over the last 20 years or so and never had an issue with them. The only thing that can spread the ears on the nock is the serving being too large in diameter. Measure it and see. Total diameter should be about .112" for a nock with .098" throat. .120" should be maximum.
Just got the measurement on my serving. I'm reading .107. Guessing that is too small?

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Maybe it's just my old (inherited) German DoAll dial caliper, but .108 or .109 center serving suits me just fine with regular g nocks. .110 won't slide up and down the string or spin around the string easily. I don't much like nocks flattening the string and spreading with use because changing busted nocks out for new gives you different fits.

The factory string center serving on my new (to me) Podium came in at .012, and that's a good bit too tight for g-nocks, imho.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Had one split yesterday . Just replaced it shooting thru a H5

1 - 20 of 38 Posts