Archery Talk Forum banner

G3 limbs

2K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  FlyingDutchmen 
#1 ·
I am looking to get new limbs and was thinking of G3's, my question is does anyone who has shot them have any opinions? (I have heard they stack and take a long time to get, 32/34lbs @ 68). Also if anyone has any other limb suggestions I am willing to listen.

#3 ·
I have a pair of G3 38# mediums. They are fast and I don't find stacking problems. What I do find is that they sort of have to warm up. I don't think it is me, but after 20 or so shots, I have to make sight adjustments, which seem to be constant for however many more I shoot. I usually stretch before, so, please, no one say that I am stretching out and that would account for the change. Anyway, I have been told by someone else using them that they are experiencing the same thing.

#5 ·
Yes, it does seem as though there is a warm-up period. Generally, I have been satisfied with them, though that warm-up period necessitates that I arrive at an event with enough time to shoot prior to the official practice end.
If you feel that very high end limbs are correct for you, I would recommend them.

#6 ·
!?!?!?!?!

josharcher said:
I am looking to get new limbs and was thinking of G3's, my question is does anyone who has shot them have any opinions? (I have heard they stack and take a long time to get, 32/34lbs @ 68). Also if anyone has any other limb suggestions I am willing to listen.
Josh,
Why dont you just ask your coach!?! Hey ask Mr. Hines he has G3's?!?
I forgot to ask you yesterday but why are you getting new limbs!?!?!?!?!

#8 ·
I haven't shoot g-3's, so can't make a valid comment, but have owned Borders, Hoyt carbon plus, Hoyt M-1's, Samick Extremes, W&W Focus, W&W Synergy, & now shoot X-pressions. Several of these limbs were changed as I stepped up in weight and not because I didn't like them.

The X-pressions are in my opinion the best combination of speed, stability, are very smooth, and are a good buy. My second choice would be the Extremes. Your draw length should be a consideration. I draw 29" and don't have stacking issues with these limbs, but over 30" can make various limbs react differently. You might do a search and you will find lots of posts regarding opinions on various limbs.

The X-pressions are made by W&W for PSE, and while they are not the exact design of the highly regarded Winex, they are similar and a lot cheaper. My best advise would be to try to demo a set of the ones you are considering. I know that is easier said than done.

Personal preferences play such a big part in selecting equipment. Every limb/riser I've ever owned could outperform me. Good luck

#9 ·
Thank you and like I said I have been wondering about this limbs when I was in Vegas at the beginning of the year I was able to pull back a pair and I really liked them, that is interesting to know that W&W made them for PSE I never knew that, so thanks again and I will definitely think about these limbs.

#10 ·
WINEX is the best limb made period. The Samick Extremes are nice-I bought a pair from Stan Boyd but 42 marked Extremes are heavier-I am getting 49.75 at almost 29 inch draw on an xfactor. 47 is about the lightest they will go while G3 Hoyts at 42 pounds are pulling around 43. My WW/PSE expressions (all my limbs are marked 42) are pulling around 44.5 which makes sense since hoyt limbs are always light. 42 pound skys are pulling 45, and 42 pound MI are also at 43. My wife shoots WINEX and while they are too light for me (36) they are very smooth and very fast. I also have a set of Merlin/Borders-40 pounds-nice and smooth. FX 42's are fastest for those in that real weight range.

smoothest drawing limbs? hard to say-maybe M1 or vector along with the Sky. smoothest discharge-easy-Martin Aurora limbs

#12 ·
josharcher said:
The thing about the winex limbs is thay are so expensive.

yep and I doubt an average archer is going to see much difference. THe MI's are great and for the money you can find vectors around for 250-300 and they are super smooth

#15 ·
I have shot both the xpressions and the g3's. I love the xpressions better. They are a tad faster and they don't stack (unless you have some ungodly drawlength).

the g3's I shot, with the tillers adjusted correctly, still tended to have a mind of their own. Like they were two seperate units working with their own agenda. Kinda whippy, and I enjoy a snappy feel.

xpressions are a natural upgrade from something like a conquest or a pro elite. I am shooting the conquests and the xpressions and wouldn't change anything.

#19 ·
Hey Josh,
I might be getting G3's too! But in a LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG Time!:D

#21 ·
josharcher said:
Who are you and why do you call me josh? :confused:
Guess Who!! ;) :tongue1: :rolleyes:

#22 ·
G3's

We shoot the G3's 34#. They are quick and don't stack. They are very smooth as well. We set the brace height 1/8 high so that as the limbs relax it falls into the correct brace height and we don't have to fight the sight mark issue that was discussed in earlier posts. They are far better then any other limbs we have shot. Well worth $$$.

#23 ·
I've shot HOyt epics, fx's, and g3's. The the last two are without a doubt better limbs. But to compare the fx and g3's I'd say that the fx's are a bit faster than the g3's, but the g3's are a much smoother limb to shoot. So I think the G3's are a good set of limbs and are probably worth the money.

#24 · (Edited)
they sort of have to warm up
First time I saw this was in Athens. Butch was having the same problem with his G3's. Took 10-20 arrows for his arrows to find the gold, and he'd never move his sight. Might explain why he's not shooting them anymore, and is back to his "old" FX's.

I've also seen or heard of too many pairs failing. Saw one pair in person at JOAD nationals. But obviously plenty of folks have had great results with them too. But the failures and unacceptable "warm up" period just isn't what you should expect out of a $400+ set of limbs.

I would have to agree with Jim C, about the WinEx being the best available now. PSE Xpressions are fantastic limbs too, but just not for my draw length. (Still hard to beat old SKY carbons at 32.5")

Good luck in your search. Don't forget that the "old" GM Carbon plus limbs are still better than most archers using them, and you can get them for less than $150 used these days. Two other good choices are Hoyt Vectors and Winacts. You don't have to pay $400 for a set of limbs in order to shoot record scores.

John.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.