Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Is it October 1st yet??!!
1,687 Posts
I have been interested in both of these heads as well but I could not bring myself to spend $50 on 3 heads. I got 4 Grim Reapers for $40. When those are done I am shooting WASP Jacknife which were $35. Broadhead pricing are getting out of control.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
I have both heads, I've killed a coyote and a doe with the trypan
And have shot one of the dead meats at a target twice. It didn't open after two shots into foam. (Arrow was sticking out the back of the target all 3 blades locked in place) so two brand new heads and one that's been shot twice are collecting dust in my broadhead box and the rage get to hunt with me. I've gotten excellent results with the trypan so far.

They may work fine on game, but confidence is everything and I don't have any confidence to use the dead meat

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have both heads, I've killed a coyote and a doe with the trypan
And have shot one of the dead meats at a target twice. It didn't open after two shots into foam. (Arrow was sticking out the back of the target all 3 blades locked in place) so two brand new heads and one that's been shot twice are collecting dust in my broadhead box and the rage get to hunt with me. I've gotten excellent results with the trypan so far.

They may work fine on game, but confidence is everything and I don't have any confidence to use the dead meat
What happens when you shoot the trypan into foam?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Just bought a couple of packs to the Deadmeat for $39 a pack. I'm impressed with them so far and will hunt with them this year.
I can't see how they won't open, watch a video where it fully opened on impact when shooting an apple.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I have shot both, though not as much with the G5, I didn't have any real problems with them, but they didn't do the same thing a trypan does, leave two big holes, and that's really what I want.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I dont shoot the Trypan. I do however shoot the Tru Glo Titanium X 2 blade mechanical which is basically the same exact head at a fraction of the price. I also shoot the Deadmeat. Both heads fly EXACTLY with my field points. Both heads are razor sharp out of the package. In my foam 3D target, the Deadmeat out penetrated the Titanium X by a long shot and it opened every single time. The Deadmeat also out penetrated my Slick Trick Wicked Trick heads. Take that for what it's worth I guess.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My offer still stands I'll give you $25 for the two deadmeats you haven't shot into a target. Better to have $25 in hand than broadheads collecting dust.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Foam and hide are very different. Here is are pics from a 1.5 grim reaper. 2 blades fully open on the tomato and the one that misses the tomato fails to open in the foam. Blades open more easily on a watery surface such as living tissue. I think it is due to surface tension.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I went and bought both. Any recommendations for which to try first? 395 grain arrow at 265 fps.
you have a slow light weight arrow. Id probably use the G5. Many tests showing it penetrates better than the RAGE. I think you may run into penetration issues with the RAGE and your setup.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I have shot both, though not as much with the G5, I didn't have any real problems with them, but they didn't do the same thing a trypan does, leave two big holes, and that's really what I want.
I have shot the trypan/hypodermics and the G5 Deadmeat in 6 different deer now. 2 were trypans, 2 were hypos, and 2 were with G5 Deadmeats. I can tell you that all deer died fast, however, I had one deer run far with very little blood trail and that was a trypan. The wound clogged up with a chunk of lung only allowing little drops to come out (I did not get an exit as it hit the offside shoulder). The deer only made it 60 yards so not a big deal. The Deadmeats left a very large wound (larger than the blade diameters) and have much less chance of clogging due to being a 3 blade. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with hunting with Trypans at all and will keep the ones I have BUT for me, the Deadmeats are just about the best broadhead ive used. No rattling blades, Excellent blade retention system, great cutting diameter, and much better penetrators than the RAGE. Just my two cents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts