Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a broadhead lunatic and am always shooting and testing different heads.

Last night my son and I (his first harvest experience from a treestand, he just turned 5) were able to take a big 150lb doe using the new megameat. 20 yards quartering away about as much as I'd be willing to accept. Entered behind last rib and came out just in front of shoulder on off side. She plowed the ground while she ran as her shoulder was busted to pieces.

Bowtech SR6 at 28 inches 71lb. 430gr arrow. Arrows cut to about 26 1/4.

THE GOOD:
Blood was awesome. Holes were huge. All 3 blades deployed and intact upon entrance and exit. Expired in seconds after a 30 yard run. Annihilated the off-side shoulder (broken). "Full" pass thru with broadhead sticking out about 6 inches and fletching end remained inside the cavity.

THE UNFORTUNATE:
Lost a blade somewhere. Was sometime after exiting bc the exit hole shows 3 cuts. Ferrule was bent in a couple places ( tip curled over, bent where the aluminum screws into the stainless). Head is not usable

CONCLUSION:
I'm the type of guy that if I get a quick kill and recover my animal with no problems, I don't care what the head looks like afterward. The weak points in the design are where I assumed they would be. Looking at the head itself after the kill isn't impressive. But it performed well. 1 time head I believe. I wouldn't hesitate using this head again. If they were to find a way to make it all stainless I might be sold. But for me, it's on to the next head to test on a live animal!
(Entrance picture with my hand for reference. *I'm not touching the deer or making the hole larger)

Office supplies Writing instrument accessory Liquid Tints and shades Writing implement
Hand Finger Office supplies Creative arts Thumb
Human body Gesture Finger Wood Thumb
Bird Human body Jaw Beak Eyelash
Plant Hunting Natural environment Deer Tree

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No doubt this is a devastating head. However I’m in search of my forever heads. One-and-dones are out of the question for me.

Edit: beautiful color on your bow!
I guess you could say I'm on a quest as well. Idk if ill ever find "the one" simply because I just love trying out new heads. I carry a different head on every arrow lol

Thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think there might be an argument for blades that bust off if it helps for a full pass through? Fred Bear used bleeder blades that were designed to shatter when they hit bone. If that blade hadn’t broken off would you have gotten a pass through still? Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
150 lbs. doe using a broahead as a bottom plow, it’s going to break and bend no matter what broadhead it is. Based on the description of after the shot she definitely drove that tip into the ground/rocks.

Reactions: 168p&y

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
150 lbs. doe using a broahead as a bottom plow, it’s going to break and bend no matter what broadhead it is. Based on the description of after the shot she definitely drove that tip into the ground/rocks.
That's a possibility! Never thought about that. My thought was I glanced off leg bone on exit. I'll investigate when I skin her out

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I didn't realize they went to aluminum on the back half of the ferrule on the mega. The original deadmeat was all steel. 2 pieces I think, but at least steel vs aluminum. I've moved away from aluminum in inserts and broadheads completely.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're probably right but have had really good success with the Deadmeat in the past, and I think I would lean towards that.
Never used that one. I have this mental block where I tend to gravitate toward the heads with huge cuts. It's the only reason I still shoot 70lb and not 60lb

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right now I'm using the Grim Reaper Minimag which has a total cut of 2.5". It's some pretty crazy blood trails and puts them down quick.
I took a few animals with the whitetail special last year. I had awesome results and crazy blood on all of them

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Is this correct? Aluminum? The head is advertised as 100% steel.
The Deadmeat is 2 piece steel ferrule. I don't own the Megameats myself. The OP said the back half of the ferrule is aluminum and it looks like it in the photos. They don't use the 100% steel advertising on the Megameat packaging. I see it listed that way on a few retailers websites though. Could be just recycling of the Deadmeat description.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts