Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I shot two deer. One at 23 yards and one at 8. Both with G5 Montec. Pulling 60lbs, 415g arrow, 100g Montec. First deer was shot just behind shoulder and second deer was shot through shoulder (small deer). Both were pass throughs and had blood covered arrows. Neither of them left a drop of blood on the ground. No deer recovered. I have shot Muzzy Mx3s for 8 years without any problem, but decided to try something new. I will be switching back, anyone have similar issues with the Montec?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep. I killed a doe last year with a Montec. Quartered away and pass thru and arrow was bloody but no blood trail. I watched her run and then heard nothing. Luckily I found her 60 yards from where I shot her. I’m running with Rage Trypans this year.

·
Liv4Rut
7,295 Posts
Watched my buddy double lung a doe at 15 yards from ground level. She ran through some thick nasty stuff. Literally 1 drop of blood and took us a good 45 minutes to find her even though she went less than 100 yards away. The couple I shot with them had minimal blood trails. It doesn't make much sense but they just don't bleed well with those heads from my experience. I would think those deer are dead though.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Same experience last year. Shot a monster, 14 yards. Passthrough. Very little blood, tracked 100 yards till it quit. Searched for literally months for that deer. Never found him. I know he died. I too switched to Trypans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
This weekend I shot two deer. One at 23 yards and one at 8. Both with G5 Montec. Pulling 60lbs, 415g arrow, 100g Montec. First deer was shot just behind shoulder and second deer was shot through shoulder (small deer). Both were pass throughs and had blood covered arrows. Neither of them left a drop of blood on the ground. No deer recovered. I have shot Muzzy Mx3s for 8 years without any problem, but decided to try something new. I will be switching back, anyone have similar issues with the Montec?
I am not a fan of montecs at all, but this does not seem to tell the whole story, broadheads cannot be the only factor here, are you sure of your shot placement? Something isn't adding up

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I am not a fan of montecs at all, but this does not seem to tell the whole story, broadheads cannot be the only factor here, are you sure of your shot placement? Something isn't adding up
I agree. I’ve taken 3 or 4 deer with montecs. They fared well, with good shot placement. All deer recovered in short order. I still have all of the broadheads I started with, too. They’re tough as nails.

·
Registered
11,797 Posts
If both deer were shot where as you stated, the Montecs did their job.... now do your job and go track those deer.
Sorry to be so blunt.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Strong first post. LOL

Photos of the heads???? Arrows?

Are there tracking classes or seasoned hunters in your area you can team up with teach that skill set?

·
Registered
19,798 Posts
If you do any searching on here or really just the internet about those heads, you'll see the same thing over and over again......poor blood trails, poor steel and poor edge retention, if you can get them sharp to begin with. That said, if you put double lung shots on those deer, they should have died relatively quickly and should have been able to be recovered unless they went across a river or some other very difficult thing to track through.

·
Registered
879 Posts
If those shots hit where the OP said, regardless of broadhead, those deer are dead. I've recovered ever deer I've hit properly, while using Montecs.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
I used montecs for years. I still have them and use them as back up heads, but switched to Magnus black hornets.
Stainless Montecs ARE HARD TO SHARPEN. They now come in carbon steel, and are easier to get an edge on them. If you just bought them and screwed them on, that might be your problem. But if you want to switch, it’s your choice.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I've had better blood trails with other heads but.... I've never had had to "search" for a deer after hitting it with a Montec. I've seen or heard them crash, let them lay for 30-60 minutes and they've always been very close to where they crashed the first time....

I've had good success with the Montec. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with them.

NOTE: (and this is very important) Make sure YOU sharpen them before you hunt. They hold a decent edge but they aren't very sharp out of the package.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Montecs are know for this. I found a FMJ with a montec in a pile of bones this year putting up a stand.

I am getting to the point that I am not sure I trust my eyes on a shot. That is what I love most about videoing deer. I shot two does this weekend. Had the one on video the second one was covered up by a tree. I thought I had her straight broadside. The arrow went in right where you want but came out just behind the last rib.

The exit hole got clogged up by guts. Deer only bled for 20-30 yards and stop. Did a grid search and found her. The holes were massive but crap happens.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
One thing not mentioned is (and today it really has to be asked) Were you really using legitimate G5 Montecs made by the originator or were you using China crap counterfeits? Based on what I read on this forum, there is a segment of guys that trip over themselves to rush to save a buck by buying these stolen designs from China thieves (thinking they are making a wise choice) and I wonder how many of the "I hit one and cant find it so I need to blade something............. I know, I'll blame the broadhead" and it may not even be a broadhead made by the legitimate company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoKD0wif_S4

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
If those shots hit where the OP said, regardless of broadhead, those deer are dead. I've recovered ever deer I've hit properly, while using Montecs.
Ditto:

I have never even had to track any because they drop where I can hear it or I actually watched them drop. Some nice folks on here have pointed me in the direction of a similar head that is better made but just the same I have had 100% success with Montecs.

I am waiting for the rest of the story.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts