Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone on here use these for deer hunting? could you please share your likes and dislikes of the he two. I myself like them in the pack because the y are one piece and not mechanical. thank you

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have had great success with them. I test numerous broadheads every year and so far, the Montec always ends up in my quiver. They are tough, one piece, cut on contact and easy to sharpen (I do sharpen new blades). I have killed 2 deer that flinched but never moved from where I shot them. As with everything in archery, there are plus and minus. It is not going to open a hole the size of a tomahawk but good shot placement kills deer. They fly well and group with my field points. I do prefer the stainless model as the carbon steel model tends to rust unless you coat it with Vaseline periodically.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. I just bought some strikers but have been looking at the montec. the extent of what I'll be shooting is deer, turkey, hogs and a coyote if they choose to pass through. I do not like mechanicals because so much can and will go wrong. I would like all the info I can get. if it helps with advice I'm shooting a Mathews z7 at 60 pounds paired with Easton bloodline arrows 330 gr and 100 gr heads.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I shot Montecs for the last 9 years and just switched to a different head this year. Montecs fly great and are easily sharpened. The only complaint I had was they don't always leave the best blood trails. Luckily every deer I ever shot with them died within 100 yards. I preferred the CS model because I found I could get them sharper than the stainless steel model. They are a little more maintenance to keep from rusting, but it was a worth while trade off, in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I like both heads and ended up going with a vpa broadhead it literally is the same as a Montec but cnc machined out of a soild steel and same price of the g5

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
The Striker isn't a bad head but the Montec is junk unless your looking to perfect your tracking skills.

I had to finally tell a buddy Im not climbing down anymore for a Montec shot deer. Thankfully he switched after a season and some change.

Another AT member described it right I believe. "The materiel of the Montec dosent hold a good enough edge all the way thru an animal." Compare the size of a Montec hole to other heads the same size and the Montec is almost always smaller on avg.

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
does anyone on here use these for deer hunting? could you please share your likes and dislikes of the he two. I myself like them in the pack because the y are one piece and not mechanical. thank you
if you can tune a bow get some striker mags. 1-1/2 cut they make a mess in the woods

·
BowhunterT100
6,534 Posts
I love those striker mags also. They are nasty.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I'm selling both Montec and Striker Magnum 125's in the classifieds, if anyone is interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Killed my first deer with a Montec, love Strikers to. I don't use them often but I have killed a doe with them, they fly just like my field points. I have my girlfriend using them to, fly just like her field tips to, very sharp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts