Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that gadgetry has become the norm in archery. Why? I dunno'! But it has. I, too, like experimenting with new things, probably part of the archer's mentality, but why are over half the threads on AT pertaining to which gadget to buy? Over the years there have been many, many gadgets that have came and went, probably because there was no real need for them anyway:wink:, and there are new ones popping up every day that are doomed to the same fate in the end. Million$ spent on worthless (after looking back at the gidgets and gadgets) junk. Sure, most are looking for an easy way to get more accurate or consistent, but is there really any substitute for a little training and a lot of practice? I doubt it.

Before anyone gets too harsh let me say that I have fallen for lots of them in the past and have come to the realization that most are just for generation of revenue, but not for me unfortunately.:( I now weigh the pros and cons far more carefully before buying anything and if it will not make me a better shot I don't buy it.

How many others have sworn off worthless gadgets? Am I the only one? Please, speak up, and let me know I'm not the only one who just practices anymore!!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I say "GOOD CALL!", HD. That darned thing is a monstrocity of archery engineering! YUK!!

·
(aka lug nut)
48,424 Posts

I just bought a Split Bubble Clinometer,
also known as an Abney Level.

I figure if it's good enough for Tim Gillingham,
then I'll use one too. My clinometer is probably cooler than his.

:D

·
Registered
13,924 Posts
A lot of things in archery we would not have today, if it weren't for some of the gadgets that led the way.

A short little poem for you all.:wink:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, I don't know how long you have been around archery, but there have been and always be gadgets and gizmos. I can remember shooting a recurve as a kid. I can remember when sights were introduced. I can remember when vanes, fiberglass arrows, aluminum arrows, replaceable bladed broadheads, releases, graphite arrows were all introduced. Even compound bows. Sure there has been a lot of gadgets which didn't make it. I wish I had a quarter for every broadhead I have seen.

Muzzy would probably have failed as a business when it began, if the founder had not been rich enough to have put his life savings into it. It's easy to criticize a product. It is very hard to actually produce it and market it successfully.

I try a lot of stuff. Some of it isn't for me. But, I don't freely criticize it on my word alone.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
XP35 said:
I have noticed that gadgetry has become the norm in archery. Why? I dunno'! But it has. I, too, like experimenting with new things, probably part of the archer's mentality, but why are over half the threads on AT pertaining to which gadget to buy? Over the years there have been many, many gadgets that have came and went, probably because there was no real need for them anyway:wink:, and there are new ones popping up every day that are doomed to the same fate in the end. Million$ spent on worthless (after looking back at the gidgets and gadgets) junk. Sure, most are looking for an easy way to get more accurate or consistent, but is there really any substitute for a little training and a lot of practice? I doubt it.

Before anyone gets too harsh let me say that I have fallen for lots of them in the past and have come to the realization that most are just for generation of revenue, but not for me unfortunately.:( I now weigh the pros and cons far more carefully before buying anything and if it will not make me a better shot I don't buy it.

How many others have sworn off worthless gadgets? Am I the only one? Please, speak up, and let me know I'm not the only one who just practices anymore!!

I am with you brother. I have moved back to simple. Even going back to the old trusty Super Slams.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
nuts&bolts said:

I just bought a Split Bubble Clinometer,
also known as an Abney Level.

I figure if it's good enough for Tim Gillingham,
then I'll use one too. My clinometer is probably cooler than his.

:D

how ya mount it on da bow ??????

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Deezlin said:
Well, I don't know how long you have been around archery, but there have been and always be gadgets and gizmos. I can remember shooting a recurve as a kid. I can remember when sights were introduced. I can remember when vanes, fiberglass arrows, aluminum arrows, replaceable bladed broadheads, releases, graphite arrows were all introduced. Even compound bows. Sure there has been a lot of gadgets which didn't make it. I wish I had a quarter for every broadhead I have seen.

Muzzy would probably have failed as a business when it began, if the founder had not been rich enough to have put his life savings into it. It's easy to criticize a product. It is very hard to actually produce it and market it successfully.

I try a lot of stuff. Some of it isn't for me. But, I don't freely criticize it on my word alone.
Yes, I also started with a fiberglass Bear recurve as a kid. I remember my uncles complaining about not being allowed to hunt with their compound bows...the noisy old things. I have also tried lots of worthless stuff. I have just wised up a bit and am not as hasty to buy into hype I guess. But if I see a new product that really will work or help I'm not against trying it, by no means! I am still a tinkerer after all.:embara:

Yeah, Nuts, how DO you mount that to your bow? Does it increase accuracy or consistency? If it does I'm all for it! It IS kinda' fugly, though!!!:)

·
(aka lug nut)
48,424 Posts
XP35 said:
Yes, I also started with a fiberglass Bear recurve as a kid. I remember my uncles complaining about not being allowed to hunt with their compound bows...the noisy old things. I have also tried lots of worthless stuff. I have just wised up a bit and am not as hasty to buy into hype I guess. But if I see a new product that really will work or help I'm not against trying it, by no means! I am still a tinkerer after all.:embara:

Yeah, Nuts, how DO you mount that to your bow? Does it increase accuracy or consistency? If it does I'm all for it! It IS kinda' fugly, though!!!:)

Yup. I like to tinker too.

It's a telescope with an angle finder built in.
It's a crude version of the surveying instrument (I'm a civil engineer).

So, I hold it up to my eye,
and then line up the bubble with a cross hair,
and then lock down the angle measurement.

Once I find the angle measurement,
then I check my handy cut chart from OnTarget2!.

It's a 2 step process.
Poor man's version of an angle compensating range finder.
I have to trust the range yardage markers on my home field course.

Here is the Spot Hogg angle finder.

I just wanted to see if a different one existed.

I was looking at the LP sight light.
Very nice. Very expensive. I figured if drtnshtr is shooting so well,
then maybe I should get a sight light and add an up pin with fiber optic as well. I had some trouble seeing some of the targets that were in the shadows.

Got myself a up pin for my CR Target scope.
Put on some Fitz Fiber (LD type). Wow. That's bright without a sight light.

Here's my home made sight light from the hardware store.

Complete with "concentrator" chamber.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts