Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if there is another topic about baiting;
i wanted to know what tipe of baits do you guys use when bowhunting wild game?
for example i've been bowhunting wild boar for a couple of months now and i've used plain corn, apples, animal guts, corn mixed with with yeast-water-sugar-different powder tastes and from all of the above the apples haven't attracted any boars; the truth is that i used them in august, while corn hadnt been harvested so the pigs had a lot of food on the fields; though i dont think apples would do any good...

for hog hunting im thinking to use salt; a friend of mine said he used salt and had succes attracting game; what alternatives do i have besides corn and the above? some help would be helpfull
thank you

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have used a new baiting method a couple of days ago. Before that i was simply throwing the corn on the ground, since i dont have a feeder, but now i dug 2 square holes, 25 cm wide and 50 deep and poured the corn mixtur in them equaly.
I read this method on internet and thought why not give it a try? And it worked. The pigs came and stood long enough in that place for a good hunt, but unfortunatelly they spooked on my aproach and didnt return till after dark when i couldnt see squat.
What do you guys think? Does any of u have/know better baiting methods?

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Take corn and soak it in water or Beer. Hogs love it when its nasty and stinky!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done that already and it works. I mixed corn with water, added yeast, sugar and lemon taste powder, left it just about 2 hours and after i used it, attracting the pigs in no time, after just 2 hours after baiting. I know it works and im gonna use it for a long time now.
I have a question: how do i bate pigs in summer, when theres corn all over the field? I mean they have plenty of places to go to and eat. What do you guys recomand using as best baiting method in summer?

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Best place to kill a hog in the hot summer is over a hog wallow. Pour some corn it the wallow and its a free for all.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Never heard of mixing corn with lemon. Might have to try it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i dont know about the taste, but the smell it's defenetly not lemon like;
im thinking now to pour some strawberry juice into the holes i dugg as an attractant, hopefully the hogs will nuzzle and stay in the area long enough for me to take one down

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yesterday i saw about 10 wild boars and needed some quick bait to get the party started so i grabbed some corn and some dried dog food;
can someone tell me if dog food works as boar bait? haven't yet gone to check it out, but i am going today
cheers

·
Registered
674 Posts
Mushroom and spinach omelets, they luv em

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
spinach omelets? you're kidding right? it sounds weird, but then again pigs are omnivores so this means they eat anything, so it might work;
i went to check on the dog food & corn i used yesterday and it's untouched; i've cleared the path to the bait so i can have a good shot; it's no more than 22 yards long

·
Registered
674 Posts
Just kidding on the omelet, sour corn is best. Fill cooler with corn about 3/4 , then fill with water, place cooler in sun until lid pops open. Corn will swell and should have sweet smell. Dump on ground. Water will soak in ground and will keep hogs there for a long time.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hogs will eat literally anything, the tricky part is where to place the bait to give you the best chance to avoid their nose. Hogs are very smart and will usually go nocturnal once spooked

·
Registered
877 Posts
I bury the stinky corn 2' in the ground covering it with dirt. Just a little on the surface. That gets em diggin and that smell stays for a long time. Hang a moultrie hanging feeder close and don't bug em for two weeks. That gives more than one group of hogs time enough to get comfortable. Feed early and late.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts