Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Looking for a couple game cameras. I have read about so many cameras that I thought I would post a thread so see what you all think of the cameras and which ones you recommend the most. I camera is for my parents. They are wanting a camera to simply capture pictures of the game that moves through the woods. So will need to get good picture quality but battery life does not have to be too great. . I on the other hand will be the camera in prep for this hunting season this fall. The picture quality does not have to be great, but will be in the field up to a month. So battery life is very needed. They will all be on different properties, anyways, what is some recommendation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
sportsman guide

I got one from sportsman guide for $50 bucks and it takes good pictures.. batters last about two weeks uses hard drive and SD card. flash no ir on it

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like the Moultre I40. I bought one on ebay last summer for 80 bucks and it was awesome. I put the camera out in july and the batteries are till at like 45%. I don't really have much to compare it too but my brother in law has a leaf river and a moultre I40 and for the money he says the moultre is better.

·
Registered
812 Posts
not to impressed with my cuddeback ir capture 5.0 battery life is good fast trigger speed but it takes infrared during most of the day even if the camera is in the wide open my dad has a stealth cam the takes much crisp and clear pics and is about $100 cheaper

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I've used many of the more popular commercial cams and the ONLY one that has honestly impressed me and that I would gladly trade every other trail cam I've ever used for, is the Reconyx! They are an awesome cam!

Do your research and read everyones feedback and you'll see that the Reconyx is pretty much the best of the best.

The only other option in my opinion is to build your own.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Currently I own alot of cams that cost under $200.00. These days I wont spend more than $100.00 on a cam in case they get stolen. I wait for them to go on sale when I cant control the addiction and am forced to buy another one.

I have 3 Moultrie D-40's, never had a problem with any of them except one of them grew legs and walked away. I paid under $70.00 for each one and are well worth the money.

I have 5 Wildview Xtreme 5 cams, again paid under $70.00 each one, Great pic's, awseome flash, wide angle sensor and great customer service. The only problem I have had is ants invaded one of them last summer and ruined my LCD display, (Ants will damage any cam no matter how much they cost) Wildview replaced it with no questions asked.

2 Scoutguard SG550 IR cams, (same as the Bushnell Trophy Cam) I Paid $180.00 for, amazing battery life, never any problems very poor night time pics and will never buy one again because of it.

2 Cuddyback Capture's, Flash, Paid $175.00, awesome cam, great pics, battery life, flash, trigger, Never had a problem but have heard they have poor customer service. Just DO NOT BUY THE CAPTURE IR CAM.

1 SteathCam I590, I paid $130.00 for it. Great cam, pics, flash, etc. Never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great picture and great info. Will look into all the cameras listed. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Bushnell Trophy Cam. Good pictures and outstanding battery life. The compact size is a plus as well.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Moultrie I40...good pics and awesome battery life.. I have 3 out right now. . . have a wildview that is brand new sitting in a drawer because it quit taking pictures a week out of the box and their cust service wont do a thing. . . don't recommend them. .

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I have 2 cuddeback captures, not IR models. One is 3 y.0. and the other 2. Both have great trigger speed, battery life is just fine for me--about 4-6 weeks with picture time on 1 minute. Since I have them over feeders that are frequented by hogs, it isn't unusual to get 200 - 300 pics a week, and 95% are nighttime pics, so even with the flash, battery life is good.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Moultrie I40...good pics and awesome battery life.. I have 3 out right now. . . have a wildview that is brand new sitting in a drawer because it quit taking pictures a week out of the box and their cust service wont do a thing. . . don't recommend them. .
Here is the phone # I called, its worth a try. (888)304-6125, they just gave me an RA # and told me to send mine back. Didnt even ask for proof of purchase etc.
Also if I bought any brand cam and it broke after a week, I would just take it back to the store I bought it from and exchange it for another. Most stores have atleast a 30 day exchange policy on electronics. Pike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts