Archery Talk Forum banner

Game cart advice

2233 44
Looking for a deer cart . Any users have advice on a decent one ? I would like one that will last and they
all seem to be cheaply made .
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
30,528 Posts
I started with a low budget steel model from Cabelas that worked OK.....rattled like a model-T Ford though. Next I got a Hawk Crawler, but it is BIG with the four wheel design, so it doesn't fit in all vehicles unless you hunt from home or want to haul it in a pickup. Plus the tires on the Crawler are infamous for not holding air. I just pumped them up a few times a season with a bike pump, but others have added to the cost by replacing them. Then this spring I bought a used Rambo ebike from a friend and took a good look at his Rambo cart as well. It is designed to pull behind the bike with a back rack, which mine has, but also can easliy be pulled by hand. I keep it in the back of my Jeep Wrangler, but killed a doe behind the house and went back for it a few weeks ago. It is lightweight, pulls easily empty and loaded, plus cleaned up in a snap with the garden hose. It is more expensive than a typical game cart, but since it does double-duty for me and folds down to fit in my Jeep, I am very glad to have made the investment.
Fawn Grass Working animal Terrestrial animal Tail

· Registered
4,025 Posts
I made my own about 20 years ago out of some leftover copper tubing I had and no-flat wheel barrel tires. It is “V” shaped with the longer portion the handle. The tires come off the axles by removing the cotter keys. The handle also slides apart for easier storage. Here is the only picture I have…… a friend hauling out the buck he shot this past season.
Deer hunting Hunting Plant Hat Wood

· NOOBY
2,307 Posts
I am a cheap A$#. I don't ever have to drag out more than 3/4 of a mile and in tall grass or snow so I have been using my kids plastic sled. Just the generic one you can sit two kids on. Works pretty well. Perfect, no and not for not a long distance it gets the job done well.

· Registered
1,119 Posts
I FINALLY found a versa cart this year. Had to drive 9 hours round trip to get it, but it was totally worth it. They don't make them anymore, but after using this for 3 deer, if something ever happened to it id build another one the same day.

· "Shock n Awe"
5,180 Posts
Hawk game crawler is a great cart but the tires and tunes do not last..

· Registered
4,784 Posts
I started with a low budget steel model from Cabelas that worked OK.....rattled like a model-T Ford though. Next I got a Hawk Crawler, but it is BIG with the four wheel design, so it doesn't fit in all vehicles unless you hunt from home or want to haul it in a pickup. Plus the tires on the Crawler are infamous for not holding air. I just pumped them up a few times a season with a bike pump, but others have added to the cost by replacing them. Then this spring I bought a used Rambo ebike from a friend and took a good look at his Rambo cart as well. It is designed to pull behind the bike with a back rack, which mine has, but also can easliy be pulled by hand. I keep it in the back of my Jeep Wrangler, but killed a doe behind the house and went back for it a few weeks ago. It is lightweight, pulls easily empty and loaded, plus cleaned up in a snap with the garden hose. It is more expensive than a typical game cart, but since it does double-duty for me and folds down to fit in my Jeep, I am very glad to have made the investment.
View attachment 7746270
I will second the Rambo two wheel cart. Made to be pulled by bike but also can be done by hand. Folds up nice and small.
Ches.

· Registered
11,994 Posts
I bought a cheap Herters cart from Cabela's. It was basically held together with clips. When we put my buddy's big buck on it the torque on the cart caused some of the clips to fail. So I bolted it all together before this season and it seems to be much better. The other negative is it's hard to get the animal balanced on it. You want it pretty neutral or you're going to either be trying to keep the handle down, or up depending on how the deer sits on it, if you understand what I'm saying. Good luck!

· Registered
30,528 Posts
I bought a cheap Herters cart from Cabela's. It was basically held together with clips. When we put my buddy's big buck on it the torque on the cart caused some of the clips to fail. So I bolted it all together before this season and it seems to be much better. The other negative is it's hard to get the animal balanced on it. You want it pretty neutral or you're going to either be trying to keep the handle down, or up depending on how the deer sits on it, if you understand what I'm saying. Good luck!
Sounds very similar to the first one I bought. All the rattle came from the cotter clips that held it together. The benefit was that it folded down, but there is simply too much slop. I also experienced the balance issue.....none of that with my Rambo.

· Registered
683 Posts
I FINALLY found a versa cart this year. Had to drive 9 hours round trip to get it, but it was totally worth it. They don't make them anymore, but after using this for 3 deer, if something ever happened to it id build another one the same day.
It was worth the trip. I’ve had mine for over 20 years. I’ve always toyed with taking it to an aluminum fab shop and have one built out of aluminum. Probably would be pricey, but would be the ultimate cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
7,011 Posts
The Buck Truck
I saw 2 guys haul an elk out on one like that, they were on n old road bed though

I haev an 20 year old steel game cart, steel spokes with hard rubber tires, works great after I widen it's wheel base by 8 inches, 4 inches each side, before that it wanted to tip over when hitting a rut or dip etc...

a buddy had a plastic cart, first the wheels broke, so he bought steel wheels, then the whole thing broke..

· Registered
55,398 Posts
IMHO the best ever made was the Versa cart. Never understood why they went out of business with no warning. Sold a ton of them. But today I would do the crawler.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts