Archery Talk Forum banner

Do you bait your gamecams and where do you place them?

• Yes I bait, near a water source

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Yes I bait, on a field edge

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Yes I bait, on a heavy trail in the timber

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Yes I bait, near a scrape or rub

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, near a water source

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, on a field edge

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • No, on a heavy trail in the timber

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • No, over a scrape or rub

Votes: 3 11.1%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this post to see if yall are baiting with mineral licks, feeders etc for the camera locations. I personally haven't in the past. I just set my cams up on heavy trails in the timber.

Where is your FAVORITE and most productive place to put the camera? Over a water source, on a heavy trail, edge of a field, over a scrape line, etc.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
i actually have mine on heavy trails and pinch points. they are also within bow range of all my stands.

Tony

·
Hucklebuck’s
13,998 Posts
I place my cam on trails in timber and don't bait however for the pourpose of my cams during the preseason I would bait the cam set up in a minute if it was legal

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Yes bait up until 30+days preseason everywhere you put.....No bait when 30+ days preseason and all thru season everywhere you put.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ttt

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Can't bait here.
I have a primary scrape that I put on one all year 'round. I also use good trails out of bedding areas.
Dan

·
Registered
634 Posts
I place mine everywhere. I only do corn in Feb. and Sept. while doing a camera census which usually turns into a **** census. I put mine on trails, scrapes, funnels, plots, stand sites, burrows, gut piles, etc. I have six cameras which have made my deer feel like movie stars. I actually think they are getting used to the flash.

I had a camera go missing last Feb. during a census. I thought it either fell and floated away or was stolen. Then yesterday, I was driving down the way while also looking around for deer, rubs, sign and such when I saw on the other side of a treeline a camera strapped to a tree. It looked like one of mine. I did some quick math, two just out on scrapes, three in the camera bag, one now on a tree, WHOOHOOO!!! I get out, get the cam and open it to see it is the long (nine months) lost cam #2! I was happy to get it back and happier to know that no one was sneaking and stealing.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I place my cameras in the timber, next to a stand of cedars. I start the corn in Aug, and keep it going throughout the season. I am hunting a small strip of public land and the corn pulls them off the adjoining private property.
I have met the guy that leases the private land and he is fine with my tactic because he knows that baiting is not a sure thing, and while I may pull some of his big boys to me, they wont all come over. We swap stories about sightings and what deer have been taken, and he shows the pics of his deer. He sets his cams up on pinch points and trails and does bait a little, just to see whats out there.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
rub lines , and funnels. or any type of natural pinch point. this time of year I find the most sign in the snow and setup a camera there to see what's coming through.
the only corn I put out is in my back yard in a feeder type . 2 gallons at a time is what we are aloud. I just do it for the kids to see the deer out the baywindow.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts