Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that typically the Hoyt Gamemaster is about 5lbs heavier then marked on the bow. I got a 50lb GM that seems to shoots as fast as my 55lb recurves. Just curious if thats because of modern materials or if my GM is indeed heavier then marked?

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
I read somewhere that typically the Hoyt Gamemaster is about 5lbs heavier then marked on the bow. I got a 50lb GM that seems to shoots as fast as my 55lb recurves. Just curious if thats because of modern materials or if my GM is indeed heavier then marked?
~5# underrated.

·
Registered
20,287 Posts
Nick -

Could be, but no way of telling unless you weigh it. Even with "modern" equipment, two bows of the exact same (weighed) draw weight can be off by 10 fps or more.

If you want to start weighing your bows, an alternative to the expensive bow scales is a digital luggage scale. You can find them for around $20 or so.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I have a Dorado and 2 sets of limbs. Both are spot on when measured AMO. Low point of grip plus 1 3/4". I think a lot of guys are pulling to the rest or front of bow which is less than 1 3/4" and getting their weight.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not quite 5 lbs

My 45 lb GMII weighs in at 48 lb at 28". That's fine, especially at my shorter draw length, but I'm really glad I didn't order a 50 lb. bow.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Thanks for the advice on the digital scale Viper.

Was heading to Target or Wally World to get one this weekend, but in looking at the new Bass Pro catalog that just came, they have digital fish scales that look just like the luggage scales for $20 - $30

If I get one of those, I can use it for bows and fishing.

·
Registered
20,287 Posts
M -

They are probably the samething! I got mine at a AAA office for $20. Just have to modify the "hooks" a little.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a Dorado and a GM II with two sets of limbs. All three sets of limbs pull five pounds heavier then the printed weight at 28 inches of draw.

RB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts