Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
yes. you can print their maps for free just sign up. i like to add the water body/spring layers, road layers, and land ownership layers before printing

·
RJ
3,303 Posts
Excellent! IMO, Game Planner Maps is pretty much the definitive site for hunting area mapping for the majority of the western big game states, and, there is nobody better (seriously) than Ed to work with. Here is a basic, down and dirty explanation of what GP Maps offers:

MAP VIEWER FEATURES

The GAME PLANNER MAP VIEWER is a desktop tool and interactive hunting map which illustrates valuable data for outdoorsmen researching DIY, OTC, and Non-resident hunting opportunities.

GAME PLANNER MAPS offers both a free MAP VIEWER and a members only PREMIUM MAP VIEWER. Both MAP VIEWERS feature:
•game management unit boundaries
•surface ownership
•wilderness boundaries
•seasonal game distributions
•surface water sources
•public roads and trails

MAP VIEWERS also include:
•USGS Topographic Base Maps
•High Resolution Aerials
•NOAA Weather Radar
•the ability to print your own hunting maps

The GAME PLANNER PREMIUM MAP VIEWER enables members to design and download their own digital maps compatible with the Free Avenza PDF Maps app. DIGITAL MAPS from the PREMIUM MAP VIEWER work with the Avenza PDF Maps mobile application to turn your mobile device into a GPS with topographic base map. Select from the MAP VIEWER layers and overlay vital data for your hunt. The GAME PLANNER PREMIUM MAP VIEWER is designed with the hardcore DIY hunter in mind.

States on the Game Planner Premium Map Viewer Include:

Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Utah, Wyoming

GAME PLANNER MAPS offers a range of PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP levels to accommodate any budget.

For those who haven't checked GP Maps out, you're missing out :)..

http://www.gameplannermaps.com/index.php

·
Registered
17,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I loaded the Avenza app...just need to decide what I need from gameplanner? What are you using Wapati?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
RJ
3,303 Posts
I use the same (Avenza APP) on my IPhone. Worked like a charm for my WA Quality Elk permit in SEP 16 (just remember to put your device on airplane mode to conserve battery life); it was really the first year in many that I did not carry a GPS as the mark-able Game Planner Map PDF contained all the boundaries, old road numbers, etc. that my GPS did not. I've gotta get a hold of Ed and get him to whip up something for my SEP 18 ID wilderness hunt... thanks for the reminder dtrkyman :). Also, the hard copy maps that you receive (if you order a custom map or even just a GMU map from XX state) are weatherproof, bombproof really. Here's the legend off my 16 WA Quality Elk permit PDF on Avenza. You can really get some great map data (boundaries, fire history, land ownership, etc.) plugged in to the maps through GP Maps.

IMG_4601.PNG

·
Registered
307 Posts
I’m looking at digital maps and was a little disappointed in aerial resolution upon zooming in on another companies map. Does this one have good resolution when zooming in fairly close? Thanks

·
Lacking Gravitas
63,933 Posts
I’m looking at digital maps and was a little disappointed in aerial resolution upon zooming in on another companies map. Does this one have good resolution when zooming in fairly close? Thanks

Agreed. A company (now out of business) called TOPO! a few years back developed USGS map scans and latched them all together in a seamless mapping system. Then they worked with Magellan to develop the Triton GPS (I still have 2 of them and still use them even though I have a Rhino) which you could download whatever map from TOPO! that you liked.

The GPS didn't do well on the market... and were discontinued... but the thing is... I have not ever found another system that has better topographical detail than the original USGS maps.

What I wish they would do is combine the info like what they have on GamePlanner (or ON-X) with the USGS Scans... which IMO would give a better detail map.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,226 Posts
Game planner is that the company run by Larry Altimus that was just convicted of poaching in Utah?

Didn't he own a service that does this type of thing?

·
Registered
17,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Game planner is that the company run by Larry Altimus that was just convicted of poaching in Utah?

Didn't he own a service that does this type of thing?
Good question, I never purchased anything from them but was also curious as to the quality of the digital mapping?

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,226 Posts
Good question, I never purchased anything from them but was also curious as to the quality of the digital mapping?
I love maps....I doubt anyone has the inventory of USGS maps I've purchased over the years. That said, its a waste, why would you now? It just doesn't make sense. You can have those maps on your phone in very high resolution with the option to toggle to Satellite pics. You can save waypoints to your computer or put them into GE.

I have a whole filing cabinet full of maps for 8 different states- Hundreds of $$ in maps <sigh> heck I need to just purge all of that stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts