Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped into a good sized Gander Mountain near Indianapolis last weekend. Thought I was having a senior moment when I went to the gun department. Looked like it had shrunk.
Wandered over to the archery department and got the same thing. Talked to the tech there and he confirmed that they had cut the gun department in half and the archery department by 2/3.
He said they expect to combine the gun and archery departments.
I told him it was starting to look like a Dick's where all the neat stuff gets shoved aside so they can hang out more clothes imported from Bangledesh.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The profit margin/mark-up is muchh higher on the clothing and "sporting goods". For the large retailers guns and bows are loss leaders to get you in the store in hopes you will buy the other stuff as well.

Better support your local pro shop or the box stores with their great service will be all that's left.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I haven't noticed a decrease in size at ours yet. But the high prices they attach to their guns, I can see where they would struggle. The only time I have purchased a firearm from them is when they honor their price matching policy, or I find a used gun at a fair price. I have never paid retail prices for any of their firearms.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I know at my local GM they make at least 35% profit on the gun when you sell it and they take 35% off the paying price from the blue book. You used to be able to negotiate with them a little but no more. I find them to be a decent place to buy but not to sell.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I was in the store they only had one Rugar Mini 14 and it was one of those tricked out ones. Short on guns.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Dropped into a good sized Gander Mountain near Indianapolis last weekend. Thought I was having a senior moment when I went to the gun department. Looked like it had shrunk.
Wandered over to the archery department and got the same thing. Talked to the tech there and he confirmed that they had cut the gun department in half and the archery department by 2/3.
He said they expect to combine the gun and archery departments.
I told him it was starting to look like a Dick's where all the neat stuff gets shoved aside so they can hang out more clothes imported from Bangledesh.
Are you talking about the one on county line road just off 65? If so I was just in there yesterday and noticed the same thing. I wanted to see what the after season turkey gun prices looked like and was suprised to only see 1 870 turkey gun, when last year there were racks and racks. Then when I hit the archery section is also looked smaller. A friend with me also made the same comment you made in the area of "They just sell a bunch of cloths now." Kind of sucks since Cabella's was cancelled there right by it. I didnt feel we really even needed it that bad with Gander Mountains good selection but that seems to be a thing of the past. Oh well I guess i'll just keep having to buy from the good old internet, because I cant afford The Outdoorsman's pricing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
gander is the most expensive place to buy guns or ammo that I have found. They lose a lot of repeat business becasue of this fact

·
2,188 Posts
One of the main problems with seeing the departments shrinking, expecially the firearms departments, is the lack of availability of many guns and ammo. It started around the same time our wonderful President took office(coincidence?) but arms and ammunition production was nearly put to a halt, with the exception of "tactical" gear.

This is also the time of year that the left over items from years past are clearanced out and priced to move so there can be room for the new stuff. Some of the manufacturers have had to wait until orders came in from the ATA show before they could start making stuff to fill orders because of the economy and avoiding "over production".

Also keep in mind that the assortments for the stores are set by the corporate office and not on a per-store basis, so all store should have the same items. If you don't see something you need you are welcome to have it special ordered for you, although it may take a week or two to get it as it has to go through the corporate office.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You rarely see anyone in the archery dep at the Gander here. Probably because everyone is at the family owned shop down the street. If your every in wichita be sure to check out Diamond archery technologies. They have very very good customer service and a great 40 yard indoor range. oh and a techno hunt upstairs.

·
Registered
37,113 Posts
I dont like the archery department in my closet gander anyway. That also goes for the nearest cabelas. The only way to really get the best equipment is at my dealer!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I spoke with the firerams manager at my local GM yesterday and he said that they weren't downsizing but their buying policy hurts them sometimes. They use the blue book of gun values, estimate your firearms percentage (usually less than what you think) and then offer you 35% less than that price. So they make at least 35% on every firearm they sell. I also think folks are hanging onto their guns more now too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts