Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newb question.

I anchor my index finger on my cheekbone solidly. Split finger.
(30# @ 28", I draw 32") After one week (about 100 arrows) I can get about a 7" group consistently.

I find that at about 15-20 yards I am putting the arrow tip (while aiming) on a point about 18" down AND ABOUT 8-10" TO THE RIGHT.

It's the "TO THE RIGHT" part that I am asking about.
I've not read yet about anyone having to do this while gap shooting. All the pictures show a completely verticle gap. Which makes absolute sense if you are looking completely over the arrow.
I presume that my arrow nock is slightly off to the right of my aiming eye giving me this diagonal aim.

Can anyone comment on my diagonal gap?

Ty
Gaptard

·
Registered
20,288 Posts
BE -

(Assuming you're right handed) One of two things: Either the arrow isn't directly under your eye and in that case, you'd have to play with your anchor point / head position to make that happen (or just deal with the offset). OR, you're cross eye dominant and you're using your left eye to gap. To check for that, just close your left eye and see if things line up better. If that;s the case, while do-able, I usually don't recommend gaping for cross-eye dominant shooters. That has to be your call.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I did not know everyone setup anchor so that gap was verticle.
I will fiddle a bit. ty V1!

·
Registered
20,288 Posts
BE -

Interesting, I did not know everyone setup anchor so that gap was verticle.
While the "textbook" gap picture is with the arrow some finite distance directly below the target, it's not written anywhere that is HAS to be. An offset does complicate the sight picture, it's by no means a show stopper, In other words, YOU have to find the best compromise for YOU.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
BE -

I usually don't recommend gaping for cross-eye dominant shooters. That has to be your call.

Viper1 out.

Dana Chatoo 05 IBO longbow world champ is cross eye dominant Gap shooter, he's done well to shoot with this (small) disadvantage, he also shoots Long range Field pretty well being several times NAFAC champion and 3rd in 04 IFAA world field champs and 03 World bowhunter champs.

It's amazing how the body and mind can adapt to shooting problems, it just needs a "Can do" attitude to overcome ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice! I played around with my anchor and my cant.
It worked well.
I just need to find something I like best and stick with it.
Part of my problem was the old recurve/sight posture. Standing straight. Once I leaned over a but with the bow canted my eye was more over the arrow.
My gap was more verticle.

I also tried anchoring with my finger more under my eye with less cant. Worked, but not sure I like it.
Gotta try finger at corner of mouth.....lot's to try....fun.

Very great advice. TY

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Very nice! I played around with my anchor and my cant.
It worked well.
I just need to find something I like best and stick with it.
Part of my problem was the old recurve/sight posture. Standing straight. Once I leaned over a but with the bow canted my eye was more over the arrow.
My gap was more verticle.

I also tried anchoring with my finger more under my eye with less cant. Worked, but not sure I like it.
Gotta try finger at corner of mouth.....lot's to try....fun.

Very great advice. TY
The top Longbows shoot Gap in IFAA with pretty much standing upright with a straight bow, it's the most repeatable stance, give it time the accuracy will come, otherwise you may find youself shooting great one day and bad the next if you start messing with Bow and body angles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Straight up, understood. All this bow canting, I rpesume is from stickbows with no shelves?

I'm seeing exciting progress in week #2 of practice and now hear very loudly all the statements made on this forum about tiny flaws in form thorwing arrows off the mark.

Trying to find a reproducable form.

TY

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Straight up, understood. All this bow canting, I rpesume is from stickbows with no shelves?

I'm seeing exciting progress in week #2 of practice and now hear very loudly all the statements made on this forum about tiny flaws in form thorwing arrows off the mark.

Trying to find a reproducable form.

TY
How is the progress going? :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts