Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When gap shooting for aiming style it would seem you need to look straight down the arrow. With a vertical bow the string is in the way. It seems weird when I try this.

Do most people cant the Bow when gap shooting to move the string off to the side? Or just deal with blurry string in the way?

Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
Most shoot with a vertical bow when stringwalking

If you cant your bow you also need to cant your head to match the bow. The string will also be in your view
when you cant the bow.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you're right handed then move the string blur to the right of the arrow. Like it up with the riser or some other point of reference. I line mine up on the right side of the arrow shaft. Keep your bow vertical or really close to it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the string is right of my eye won’t and put the point on the target won’t the arrow shoot to the left of my point on aim point? Do you just compensate by putting point slightly right of target?

Also, if I cant very slightly why do I have to move my head with bow? If my anchor is solid seems like it should be ok.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Canting the bow is primarily for longbows which have a short sight window and blocks the view of the target.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Do you NEED to cant the bow?

No.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If the string is right of my eye won’t and put the point on the target won’t the arrow shoot to the left of my point on aim point? Do you just compensate by putting point slightly right of target?

Also, if I cant very slightly why do I have to move my head with bow? If my anchor is solid seems like it should be ok.
If you cant the bow your drawing hand should cant the same amount to keep from
torquing the string. Now if you can get a solid anchor while doing so good but
if you cant the bow very much and your drawing hand to match the bow keeping
a good consistent anchor will be difficult

JMO

·
32,608 Posts
I cant the bow (around 2 0-Clock) and I lean some but it helped me and my scores a bunch.....No longer do I worry about nose bleed or burn of any sort.....Nearly all of the trad bow shooters at Champions Archery club cant the bow......They are tough to beat, in fact, I don't even try......for me it was a big help and now my point of aim is about 2" under the X and I split view the target now.......I was really getting confidence in my shooting when I hurt my shoulder with a torn rotator cuff.....yuk......

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,194 Posts
This post is not about canting, rather it is about positioning the string so that it does not block vision. I remember encountering the same issue when I first starting shooting outdoors. Indoors, all I saw was a wide blur due to the low light. I found that using the same form, the string would block my vision when I went outdoors. What target shooters typically do is to align the string blur on some point such as the edge of the riser. You can adjust center shot and/or spring tension to bring the arrow to center. Lately, Sandy McCain has had me move my eye over the arrow to help me compensate for string position changes when I stringwalk and facewalk. That way I can avoid aiming off for certain crawls. So far, so good, but I am still practicing the change. For some reason I am able to avoid the string blocking my eyes while I do it, though I can put the string in a position where it does. I chock that up as the accumulation of knowledge of years shooting this way.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Hello Hank, that's exactly why I asked where he was anchored. If anchored to the corner of his mouth he can put the blur on the edge of his arrow, or anywhere he wants on the riser like you mentioned. I don't know if he's going under his chin, or how he's holding though.
Thanks for your recent thread and research on the arrow shafts, Mark

·
Registered
377 Posts
This post is not about canting, rather it is about positioning the string so that it does not block vision. I remember encountering the same issue when I first starting shooting outdoors. Indoors, all I saw was a wide blur due to the low light. I found that using the same form, the string would block my vision when I went outdoors. What target shooters typically do is to align the string blur on some point such as the edge of the riser. You can adjust center shot and/or spring tension to bring the arrow to center. Lately, Sandy McCain has had me move my eye over the arrow to help me compensate for string position changes when I stringwalk and facewalk. That way I can avoid aiming off for certain crawls. So far, so good, but I am still practicing the change. For some reason I am able to avoid the string blocking my eyes while I do it, though I can put the string in a position where it does. I chock that up as the accumulation of knowledge of years shooting this way.
What Hank said.

I do understand that the post was not about canting the bow but the op brought it up
and asked about tilting his head when canting the bow.
Now he or everyone but me may be able to cant the bow and hold his head vertical
as when shooting a vertical bow and anchor the same without tourqing the string but I cannot.

The amount you have to tilt your head is completely depends on how much you cant the bow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. I anchor middle finger to corner of my mouth shooting 3 under. I have only been shooting seriously about 6 months so I would change whatever I need to in order to do it the correct way.

Does everyone close 1 eye when gap shooting or other method where you need to focus on the arrow tip to aim?

I understand the potential string torque problem when canting bow and vertical head. But if I cant the bow to say 1 o-clock the arrow still arcs over 12o-clock correct? So then the string if off the vertical sight path.

Some have mentioned moving string blur over edge of riser. It just seems like having the string to right with vertical bow you will not be looking directly down arrow so aiming with arrow point need to be adjusted to right. I could be way off here so appreciate any corrections.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
That's just where many of us anchor, spears. If you draw your bow back, even vertically, you should be able to look down the top of most of the arrow. You won't see the tail end of the arrow, but most of it all the way to the tip. This will have you aiming over the top of the arrow at 12oclock, or close to it. Now hold at full draw again "after you rested for a minute", look down the arrow as before, and notice the string blur. It can be at the edge of the arrow, or the riser itself. This string blur can be placed where you want it to hit your target. We all aim a little different, but I try using the blur as a secondary check. Most of my attn is dead over the arrow itself, and is easier to see in poor light. Lunger

1 - 16 of 16 Posts