Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I screw the Rage 2 blade into my Easton Axis arrows there is a gap of approximately 1/8" between the base of the broadhead and the end of the arrow. Anyone else experience this? Do I need to use the broadhead adapter rings?

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
I didn't have a problem with mine. Did you use the insert installation tool when installing the inserts? (green plastic thing)

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
how were the inserts put in? if its with epoxy unscrews your field tips, heat th field tips with a torch(don't get any of the carbon) and push the insert in an 1/8" further.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It appears that your inserts are not in all the way. The glue that comes with the eastons is slow to set. Who ever installed the inserts probably did not lay them level to dry or removed the tool imprperly causing the inserts to slide foward. The threads are probably shorter on your feild points allowing them to sit flush. You can try the BAR but I don't think it's going to close that gap. You should be using the BARs anyways. They help to keep the tip from splintering during impact.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the arrows are identical so I don't believe it is due to the glue setting slow. I assume that they were installed improperly. How far is the end of the insert supposed to be from the tip of the arrow. I measured mine and the end of the insert is 3/8" from the end of the arrow.

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
The insert tool will push the insert 7/16" down into the shaft. Just shy of half an inch.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I saw this once before. For whatever reason the insert tool was not long enough to properly position the insert. In this case the insert was solid at the end and the Rage threads were bottoming out. We drilled the bottom out of the inserts and ran a tap through it and it worked fine.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Bring the arrows back to where you bought them and get new ones done the right way. You should not be drilling out and retapping the insert. Your dealer should know how to install the inserts. Call Easton and tell them your problem. If it sounds like I am upset then your 100% correct. I buy the arrows cut to length, square the ends and install the inserts myself. Not very hard and you know your getting it done right. Your dealer will not want to replace your arrows but should have to. Like I said call easton and complain to them that your dealer installed the inserts wrong and needs a lesson on how to do it right!:zip:

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Bring the arrows back to where you bought them and get new ones done the right way. You should not be drilling out and retapping the insert. Your dealer should know how to install the inserts. Call Easton and tell them your problem. If it sounds like I am upset then your 100% correct. I buy the arrows cut to length, square the ends and install the inserts myself. Not very hard and you know your getting it done right. Your dealer will not want to replace your arrows but should have to. Like I said call easton and complain to them that your dealer installed the inserts wrong and needs a lesson on how to do it right!:zip:
Sorry to upset you. Just thought I would tell the guy about my experience to maybe help him out. Archers helping archers you know :)
P.S. I havent had any problems with the arrows or inserts in allmost 2 years of shooting and have seen inserts like the ones I mentioned and ones that were open all the way through so I am certain that what was done was safe.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You can order BAR (broadhead adapter ring) rings from easton and put them on first then screw your broadhead on. It will take up the gap. They work great.

Good luck
kentucky kl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts