Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which one should I buy? I have heard great things on both of these units. I'm going to be using it for hunting and fishing.

·
Registered
14,717 Posts
Good ?...I would like to know also.......

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I like the iFinder. Two friends have bought same after trying my unit.

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
I just got a Lowrance H2O IFinder. The jury is still out. Reception is good and it's pretty easy to use. I bought one hoping that I could get a decent base map of Alaska to go with it and I didn't. I can't get a good one from anyone else either...so that's a wash. The base map for the rest of the country is pretty good and the "Plus" package I bought with it, software etc.. is also pretty decent, but also lacks much of Alaska. I just wish I could get a better base map to use for Alaska.

It has a bunch of options available that I haven't even tapped yet.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
AKDoug said:
I just got a Lowrance H2O IFinder. The jury is still out. Reception is good and it's pretty easy to use. I bought one hoping that I could get a decent base map of Alaska to go with it and I didn't. I can't get a good one from anyone else either...so that's a wash. The base map for the rest of the country is pretty good and the "Plus" package I bought with it, software etc.. is also pretty decent, but also lacks much of Alaska. I just wish I could get a better base map to use for Alaska.

It has a bunch of options available that I haven't even tapped yet.
sorry AKDoug I just checked out my map create software thought I could help . but no good I never knew AK was so flat:eek: :wink: man not an elevation change across the state. looked alot like Nebraska:) Dave

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
No kidding Dave. I have MapCreate6.0 also and nothing in AK. I can go to TopoZone and get just what I want, but I can't use it to download a basemap into my GPS. I'm exploring the possibilities of National Geographic's software being able to do so.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have the Garmin 60CSX and it awsome. Easy to use and it is expandable with the card that it has with it and you can also nuy bigger cards to use with it. I think you will like it if you do go with the Garmin

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
I am now going to kick myself firmly in the ass :mad: The research I had done earlier in the year did not show that Garmin now has just what I am looking for in detailed topo maps for Alaska. MapSource now produces good maps of Alaska, while MapCreate does not. Oh well, I got a good deal on this Lowrance unit. For the lower 48 the MapCreate (Lowrance)data looks just as good as the MapSource(Garmin) data.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
AKDoug- either way your iFinder will keep you getting lost, get you back to camp and store all the waypoints you will ever need.

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
I already had one of those...LOL...but it couldn't swim ;) The H2O Ifinder will float if loaded with Lithium batteries:tongue: I just hated spending the extra money for the "PLUS" package to find out it didn't work.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Garmin 60CSX.... I just one about a month ago and it's the cat's meow!! I was doing some scouting on my land a couple of weekends ago... was in steep saddle between a ridge and a mountain... very very thick canopy overhead. It got a lock on 7 satellites in less than 30 seconds.:eek: :darkbeer:

Good stuff.... oh, and the mapsource topos are AWESOME! I downloaded the entire state of Colorado into the Garmin for my trip next week elk hunting in the San Juan/Durango area.:thumb:

-ZA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts