Archery Talk Forum banner

Garmin Xero

1345 26
Any of you hunt with a garmin xero? How’s it working for you and is it worth the cost
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
First yr hunting with the pro and I really like it. Got a nice spring turkey with the sight. Hope to bag a deer this week

Reactions: PWinn66

·
Registered
76 Posts
I’m hunting my 2nd season with A1, and love it.

No more holding a pin high/low or dialing yards on a single pin (only for deer to move anyway and gotta hold off!).

Setup takes time, so take the time needed and you’ll be impressed. Hunted in a good rain in KY this yr and it worked fine even then for my shot. Works with wet/smudged lenses but nice to remember a cleaning cloth in case.

Garmin setup makes you shoot the max distance to be used. Ex. If you want to shoot out to 75yds you have to actually sight it in by shooting it at >75yds minimum for it to setup. It isn’t like single pin setups that you shoot 20 and 60 (for example) and pick a tape off those points. Kudos to Garmin for not just creating a program for folks to fling arrows farther than they can actually shoot.

Expensive, but worth it for the confidence it builds in your shots on game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Setting up is a pain. But love it for pin size. Shooting into a sunrise you definitely went it bright otherwise the pin washes out. Been days where I felt I was dialed in and sight was off so I had to adjust everything. This has happened more then once

·
Corripe Cervisiam
27,384 Posts
I know 3 very experienced bowhunters that dumped them.

Then I talked to a shop guy this morning that said he knows 2 guys that went back to pins….and he is skeptical on their worth.

I didn’t really get into it on the ‘Why’ with the few guys I know.

If you really want one of these I might be able to find you one used from one of those guys.

·
Registered
29,840 Posts
I've been curious about them since they were introducted.....but not $500+ used curious. Although I have really good stands, I often ground hunt because of learning new areas of public ground and adapting to changes during the season. When setup on the ground in brush, my Sig Kilo RF sometimes will not read distance because the brush in the thicket is blocking the laser while I have small line-of-sight through a small window. Wondering if that is the same with a laser ranging sight? Guys on Heartland Bowhunter use them and seem to do pretty well, but from open stand locations where brush is not an issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know 3 very experienced bowhunters that dumped them.

Then I talked to a shop guy this morning that said he knows 2 guys that went back to pins….and he is skeptical on their worth.

I didn’t really get into it on the ‘Why’ with the few guys I know.

If you really want one of these I might be able to find you one used from one of those guys.
Still hunting for an e35 but waiting for just the right one and my bank account lol, doing my research before hand on what I’d like for it

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had one a couple years ago. Used it for a season and went back to my fixed pins. It’s too much for my simple brain during those “heat of the moment” shots. Most of all, I hated remembering to turn it on before each hunt. A few times I caught myself sitting in the tree for a while and then realized ****, I never turned it on. If i would have drawn back before that I would have been screwed. The ”doesn’t fog” part is a lie too. Mine did a couple times going from warm to cold.

It was fun on the 3d range and back yard shooting no doubt, but honestly hated it for hunting.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I’ve been hunting with mine for four seasons, love it. I look forward to when they make it smaller and lighter. I love shooting at the range with it too. I bought the second version last year, but I didn’t care for all of it. I went back to my original A1.
Best archery dollars I’ve spent in couple decades. Right up there with parallel limb bows.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I’ve had mine a few seasons now and will never go back to a typical sight. Customer service is stellar. A couple of years ago the trigger failed on mine (pins still illuminated so I could still hunt) but after calling the company, they next day air mailed me a new trigger at no cost and I had it in less than 24 hours, and I live on an island that is plagued by package shipping issues. Top notch all across the board.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts